Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Having starting problems??? (Read 0 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Having starting problems???
03/19/07 at 12:16:27

I recently started having trouble starting the bike.
I would push the starter button and nothing would happen.
Usually 3 tries later it would start, but sometimes it took me a full 3 minutes to get it running, once I got tired and embarrassed of waiting so I pushed started the thing in 4th gear.
It was something electric for sure so yesterday I decided to get it overwith once in for all.

It was, of course, the clutch switch, right on time too (7,000miles) the contacts were all worn and dirty so I just bypassed it; did the same with the kickstand switch just to save me some trouble in the future.

Hope this helps.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Having starting problems???
Reply #1 - 03/19/07 at 14:33:29

So now you are free to start it in gear, and look silly in a different way?

Congrats.  You've got a real bike now!

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/07 at 14:55:33

you could always look at the neutral light Wink

allan.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #3 - 03/19/07 at 16:51:29

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So now you are free to start it in gear, ...

Somebody else is trying to save us from our selves. Yes I agree that too many injury stories came from the days of kickstarts, I never personally knew of them. But, now we live in a world that "New Law- If your wipers are on your headlights need to be on." In PA that's the law. Dag Nab It, Just get the Nimrods off the road that don't think it's time to have their lights on. There trying to save their batteries.Greg this is not pointed at you, I'm just so annoyed at laws made to save us from ourselves and to protect the brain dead "not my fault" that can't make a decision for themselves.
Back on topic, Stimpy? There may be more to grounding it out than you think. I think Varroom did the same thing but found current in his ground. If you know what your doing then excuse me for running at the keyboard. Just my .02

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/07 at 19:54:40

I know Greg is joking (or expect he is) but if you do try to start it in gear it is not going to take off like a rocket, I don't think - the worst it is likely to do is lurch forward leaving you to grab the clutch lever - your feet are going to be on the ground holding the bike up so I don't reckon you'll fall over! (famous last words!)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 03/19/07 at 22:03:37

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
you could always look at the neutral light Wink

allan.

Real men don't read directions, so when are they gonna look at a neutral light Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/19/07 at 22:11:58

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I know Greg is joking (or expect he is) but if you do try to start it in gear it is not going to take off like a rocket, I don't think - the worst it is likely to do is lurch forward leaving you to grab the clutch lever - your feet are going to be on the ground holding the bike up so I don't reckon you'll fall over! (famous last words!)

Of course I am joking.  I've tried to start it in gear.  Who has been riding for a while, hasn't forgotten something like that?  I've done it in manual drive cars.  And you are right, it isn't gonna "take off" if you do.

Let's be honest.  It's all a reality check...which is where you look around at reality and check to see if they're watching you.

I like it that way.  Now-a-days, I fell like an idiot when I forget about the sidestand or the clutch when I try ti start my spouse's "original equipment" Savage.  Bad part is, she never tries to start mine Tongue

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 15:45:27

and it tends to fall over too...

no electrical problems for me...

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/20/07 at 16:01:48

fido - kickstarters were never a big deal (I grew up on British iron). as long as you got the pistion past top dead center (also the BSA I had had what I think was a manual advance/retard system) & gave kickstart a decent prod it never once bit me in the shin or sent me off into space, unlike the old wive's tales. the SR500 I later had had I think a valve lifter or somesuch to ensure no kickbacks.

me, I miss not having them - as much as I like an electric start - much more civilized than running alongside the bike to bump start it when battery hasn't enough life.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #9 - 03/20/07 at 17:25:50

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
fido - kickstarters were never a big deal (I grew up on British iron). as long as you got the pistion past top dead center (also the BSA I had had what I think was a manual advance/retard system) & gave kickstart a decent prod it never once bit me in the shin or sent me off into space, unlike the old wive's tales. the SR500 I later had had I think a valve lifter or somesuch to ensure no kickbacks.

me, I miss not having them - as much as I like an electric start - much more civilized than running alongside the bike to bump start it when battery hasn't enough life.

BSA- Yeah, my brother's had something like that. It might have been a late "60's" model, you know better than me. As I said, i have no experience with horrific tales of  a bike gone mad or mind of it's own.(Old wive's tale?) Really? If I had a couple of bikes (Sounds like a plan) I would like to have one that kicks. It's just the way things ought to be.

Greg. You mention "Feel like and idiot"; been doing alot of that lately. When I found the problem with my carburetor I took it in the house to show my wife, "See how quick it took me to find the problem. Honey?" Leaving puddles of fuel through the kitchen while she's cooking with gas. Yeah, she still fed me but me and the bike spent the rest of the day outside.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/20/07 at 22:00:52

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Leaving puddles of fuel through the kitchen while she's cooking with gas. Yeah, she still fed me but me and the bike spent the rest of the day outside.  

I know your pain, man.  At least the house lived through it.

I'm just glad that I finally quit smoking....Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:01:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having starting problems???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.