Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pilot Air Adjusting Srew (Read 32 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Pilot Air Adjusting Srew
03/20/07 at 15:22:08

I'm curious - which way richens the mix - screwing the screw  clockwise or counterclockwise? when I screwed it counterclockwise was when I got rid of 90+% of my "banging."

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Pilot Air Adjusting Srew
Reply #1 - 03/20/07 at 15:35:00

clockwise or in, is leaner.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/20/07 at 16:03:48

As I understand it, this is an "Air Adjusting Screw" therefore if you turn it in you decrease the air to fuel ratio which makes it richer.  If you turn it out the air to fuel is increased which makes it leaner.

Finding the "happy place" in the middle of those extremes is where you want to be.

Under the diaphragm cover on top is where you'll find the fixed pilot fuel jet.

Lancer, old Buddy, "What say you?" Tongue

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/07 at 18:11:12

darn - I knew I'd get conflicting opinions, but not in the first 2 responses!  Smiley

(I wanted to address this to Lancer but thought I'd be polite & throw it open to all)  Smiley

so, to echo Greg - over to you, Lancer...  Grin

(incidently, I am refering to the screw on the side of the carb - formerly covered by the brass plug - hope I got my terminology correct).

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/20/07 at 18:54:59

I'm working on the theory that you turn out/cc to correct the factory lean backfire, and if you must go more than 3 turns out you need a bigger pilot jet.  I believe you are actually increasing and decreasing the diameter of a small fuel passage coming up from the float bowl that exits just on the intake side of the throttle valve.

Now..., watch me be wrong on this...   Lancer?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 03/20/07 at 19:46:22

Carburetors can have two different types of air or fuel mixture screws.  This one seems to be called the pilot air adjusting screw, even though it is technically a fuel mixture screw.
The air mix screw is located on the filter side of the carb, while the fuel mix screw is located on the engine side of the carb.

The adjustments on these types run opposite of each other.  The one on the Savage carb is on the engine side and is therefore actually a fuel mixture screw.
For this one, turning CC will richen the mixture.

Got to go for now.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/20/07 at 21:31:26

sorry Lancer - maybe it is me being thick - I'm refering to the screw on the side of the enigne nearest to your right leg - the one that people can only get at after drilling out the brass plug. I turned it counter clockwise & got rid of virtually all my backfire. was I richening or leaning out the bike?

thanks for first reply - sorry if I'm sounding confused - would appreciate clarification, Lancer. Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 21:46:47

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Carburetors can have two different types of air or fuel mixture screws.  This one seems to be called the pilot air adjusting screw, even though it is technically a fuel mixture screw.
The air mix screw is located on the filter side of the carb, while the fuel mix screw is located on the engine side of the carb.

The adjustments on these types run opposite of each other.  The one on the Savage carb is on the engine side and is therefore actually a fuel mixture screw.
For this one, turning CC will richen the mixture.

Got to go for now.

Oh no...No fair.  You aren't skating out that easy....you can adjust fuel "mixture" by changing the air too.

The fixed pilot air jet (fuel) is located in the top.  It is factory fixed.  You can't remove it (cause the slots are gone).  The screw we're talking about that normally has a plug, adjusts the air flow.

Sure it runs opposite, which is what I said.  Turning in closes it down and cuts the air and makes it richer.  Out is leaner.

Either way, on the opposite extremes the bike runs rough.  So you adjust for the sweet middle spot.

Lets not confuse this with the pilot jet shown below, which everyone changes.

Of course, the important thing to know...you too George Tongue  

Adjust it until you find the middle point when the bike runs smooth and then forget it.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/20/07 at 23:00:11

from what you said Greg guess my turning it out made bike run leaner, which I thought would not make bike lose popping. however, as it turned out it did. whatever, end result was  Smiley

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 03/20/07 at 23:19:33

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
from what you said Greg guess my turning it out made bike run leaner, which I thought would not make bike lose popping. however, as it turned out it did. whatever, end result was  Smiley

Greg is wrong.

The idle mix screw in question is regulating fuel, just as it does in about every carb design. There are rare carbs that have a seperatly adjustable idle air regulation, but they are the exception. That is, unless you want to consider the idle speed adjust screw to be an "air" screw, which would be wrong by most conventional thinking.

In this case: CCW = rich and CW = lean

As for the "sweet spot in the middle" you aren't going to find it sitting in your driveway... The best way is to Road Test: screwdriver at the ready.  Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 03/21/07 at 05:14:47

We have what is called a variable venturi type of carburetor.  It has a slide (throttle valve) that goes up and down, and does it either mechanically like in a VM carb or by using engine vacuum like in the stock CV carb.
In this type of carburetor there can be two types of idle mixture control, or even both types, on the carburetor depending on what the manufacturer wants to do.

Air Mixture Screw
On a mechanical slide carburetor, the air mixture screw is always located on the air filter side of the carburetor slide.  It varies the flow rate of the air bleed passageway.  To create a richer air/fuel mixture, you turn the air mixture screw in (clockwise).  This reduces the amount of air allowed to enter the ciruit, creating a rich mixture.  To create a leaner air/fuel mixture, you turn the air mixture screw out (counter clockwise).  This increases the amount of air allowed into the circuit, causing a leaner mixture.

Fuel Mixture Screw
This screw is always located on the engine side of the carburetor slide.  The fuel mixture screw controls the amount of the fuel exiting the idle outlet port.  The fuel mixture screw changes the amount of fuel entering the carburetor while the engine is at idle.  When this screw is turned out (counter clockwise), it enriches the air/fuel mixture by increasing the amount of fuel allowed to enter the circuit.  When the fuel mixture is turned in (clockwise), the mixture becomes lean by reducing the amount of fuel allowed to enter the circuit.  When a fuel mixture scew is used on a street motorcycle, the carburetors have factory-installed anti-tamper plugs over the screw to prevent the untrained consumer (this is a secret code, meaning US) from changing the factory and EPA approved setting.
The stock Savage/S40 carb has the second type, the fuel mixture screw, though it is referred to as the pilot screw in the Parts Manusal (microfich) and Clymer does not address it at all.  The Suzuki Service Manual does not mention it all either.
I have usually used the term pilot air adjusting screw in the past, and if that has confused anyone I apologize.  I just got in the habit of doing that.  A lot of instructions from assorted sources use the same term, but for the stock carb on our engine it is more correct to call it a fuel mixture screw.

On the Mikuni VM carburetors the screw is of the first type, it is an [i][b]air mixture screw, or may be called the pilot air screw[/b][/i].   On this carb turning the pilot air adjusting screw IN (clockwise) will richin the mixture, and OUT (counter clockwise) will lean the mixture.

I hope this is helpful and that I have not confused anyone.  Also, I have a nagging feeling that I may have given incorrect info to a few in the past regarding the direction of the pilot air screw adjustment on the VM carburetor.  If so, then I humbly apologize for that.
There have been occasions when I was getting questions on several types of carbs at the same time and I could have mixed the info from one to the other.  If it did ...I am sorry.

Anyway, the information above is directly from a training manual.  I did not want to try to condense the instructions this time, so I wrote it out as it is printed.  That helps to eliminate problems.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/21/07 at 05:22:46

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
...The idle mix screw in question is regulating fuel...

That is correct.  I think the confusion is in how everyone refers to this screw at different times.  I prefer to call it the pilot adjustment screw so that it pairs in one's mind with the pilot jet since they are both parts of the same fuel circuit.  Some folks call it the fuel/air mixture screw.  That is partially correct in that it alters the fuel to air ratio in the pilot circuit.  The problem is that it's not the only adjustment screw on the carb that fits that description; it's just the one for the pilot circuit.  Even worse is when the name is shortened to pilot air adjustment since the screw actually adjusts fuel.  I also hate to use the word "idle" in this case because it is then sometimes confused with the "idle speed screw".

But then I still occasionally use the term "choke" when it's actually an "enrichener" on this carb (and on my Amal too) because it adds fuel instead of throttling air.  Some carbs have true chokes which reduce the air instead.  Just an old habit I try to correct whenever I realize I'm doing it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #12 - 03/21/07 at 07:25:03

hey georgekathe, the screw you are referring to on the right side, that was formerly covered by the brass cap:

Counter Clockwise to richen
Clockwise to lean out

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 03/21/07 at 08:31:04

The FCR 41 on KLX has both an air mixture screw and a fuel mixture screw.
She also has 7 positions of adjustment on the needle, to which I've just (today) added a washer to get 4.5 clicks from the top (just as a try-out).

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 03/21/07 at 08:39:40

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Greg is wrong.

Still exhibiting your extensive array of people skills and other true lies, I see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:32:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pilot Air Adjusting Srew

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.