Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remove Belt Guard (Read 58 times)
monkee72
Ex Member

Remove Belt Guard
03/12/07 at 12:00:57

Hi eveyone!  This site has been a HUGE help in me getting my 650 Thump Bobber rolling smoothly.  However, once involved in this type of project it never seems to end.  So here's my next inquiry...How do I remove the belt guard.  I could assume to remove the lower shock bolt by pounding it through, but I wouldn;t figure that would benefit the threads any.  And I thought I'd read somewhere on here about taking the weight off of the shocks, but I can't find that loop anymore.  So if anyone can feel my pain, please let me show me the light!   ???

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Remove Belt Guard
Reply #1 - 03/12/07 at 12:59:29

uh, not too hard. loosen the lower part of the left side shock.  you don't have to take it off. the mounting hole is shaped like a "C." not an "O."  I got a big washer to take up the space...  I think there are only 4 other bolts, two under the pulley cover, and two on the tab that comes from the swingarm.  you also need to remove the lower cover...

oh, and on the pulley cover, there are two different lengths of bolts...

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 06:36:11

Thanks!  I don't know why I always make things more difficult than they really are.  Thank you VERY much!  It worked out great.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/07 at 12:52:06

funny, I was putting my guard back on the other day - meant taking the washer out that replaced the guard where it is held in by the shock bolt.

I'm not sure if you are trying to take the guard off permanently - in which case you will need, in my opinion a little help. first you can take the guard off as outlined above (if for instance just taking off your back wheel) - no need to take the bolt out, just loosen it. However, if you want to take the guard off for good then you'll need to take the bolt out to put in the aforementioned washer to replace the guard.

the bolt will not clear the wheel as I found out unless you loosen the back axle, slacken off the adjusters so you can move the wheel forward so the bolt will clear one of the triangular holes in the wheel - won't clear the thing otherwise. (you'll need to use a drift to get the bolt out) at this point the shock will drop a little meaning the only way you can get the bolt back is to jack the bike up in a level position (where I got an extra pair of hands to help me for a few minutes - hi neighbor!) so rear wheel clears ground & hole in shock lines up with hole in swing arm. put it all back together (don't forget to put in the washer to replace where the belt guard went!) & tighten up the bolt/nut. then adjust & tighten up the adjusters (equal both sides!) for correct belt adjustment & please tighten up that rear axle (never understood why such things don't have "castle" nuts/ holes in the axle & cotter pins to more securely hold the nut on - my old British iron did).

then put the 2 10 mm (I think) bolts that hold the top & bottom guard & the 2 phillips head bolts & washers that hold the guards somewhere safe in case like me you ever decide to put the guards (top & bottom) back on.

last, put the pulley cover back on (8 mm wrench I think - sorry I can't recall size of wrench you'll need for shock bolt).

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 03/14/07 at 13:33:05

hmmm... well, hem, haw...

I disagree about the necessity of removing the rear wheel to permanently remove the belt guard.  The washer/spacer can go anywhere between the nut and the cap end of the bolt.  It just takes up a little space so the acorn nut doesn't run out of threads or the bolt doesn't hit the acorn nut.

also, if you do want to put the washer in the same place as the guard attachment point, you can use a scissor jack under the bike by yourself.  make sure it DOES NOT HAVE WHEELS< though, as it can slide out from under the bike...  I like to stick mine under the useless bracket that holds tha canistor on California models (near the exhaust bracket).  It will bend a little, but it's okay.

Tightening torque on the shock retaining nuts is about 18 ft-lbs.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/14/07 at 16:14:36

no, I did not removee the back wheel - just loosened it so could move it closer to front of bike so bolt would go through triangular shaped hole in wheel (could not see it clearing otherwise). I put jack in same place but did not have confidence in bike not toppling over as I raised jack (jack is on wheeels) hence enlisted aid of neighbor to raise jack & steady bike for few minutes.  

thought washer had to go in same place as where guard had been so saw need to take bolt out - can it go between the nut & shock? - if so then no need to move wheel, I agree.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/14/07 at 20:57:34

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
no, I did not removee the back wheel - just loosened it so could move it closer to front of bike so bolt would go through triangular shaped hole in wheel (could not see it clearing otherwise). I put jack in same place but did not have confidence in bike not toppling over as I raised jack (jack is on wheeels) hence enlisted aid of neighbor to raise jack & steady bike for few minutes.  

thought washer had to go in same place as where guard had been so saw need to take bolt out - can it go between the nut & shock? - if so then no need to move wheel, I agree.

Interesting too.

Seemed kinda silly to me to have a shock bolt that went through from the inside JUST so that a chrome acorn nut could be on the outside.  Form lost out to Function in my book, and I put it the other way.

BTW - when I took off my belt guard, I ground off the mounts and repainted.  Looks like it never had a guard Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 03/15/07 at 06:46:53

hmmm yeah, now I see why you needed a hand...  Smiley

what I was prone to do is to zip tie or clamp the front brake leverdown while the back was up and that worked very well for me.

I've also ground off that vertical tab, but not the pass peg mounts.  the leftside one will likely hold a jockey shifter oen day...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:39:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Remove Belt Guard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.