Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler Rivets (Read 5 times)
Savaged_Ed
Ex Member

Stock Muffler Rivets
03/14/07 at 11:11:30

I have a 2007 S40 and noticed what appears to be 4 pull-type rivets on the output end of the stock muffler.  Does anyone know exactly what these rivets do?   Has anyone tried drilling them out?

Great forum! Thanks.

IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Re: Stock Muffler Rivets
Reply #1 - 03/14/07 at 14:10:13

I remember someone posting about trying to dissect the stock muffler once ....... I don't think the end cap came off just by drilling the rivets.

You're probably better off not even bothering and installing a sporty or dyna muffler instead, you'll be much more pleased with the end result.  Cheesy

-Brad

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/15/07 at 01:48:52

My opinion:

The stock muffler is not worth messing with. It weighs a ton & will sound crummy no matter what you do. Spring for a Supertrapp if you can. I don't know if the guys with the Rassk  exhausts would want to do it over as they did or not. Maybe if Ii had one I would sneer at the Trapp. I dunno. I do really like the Supertrapp. Performance jumped. If I could do another mod I would wish I had a single walled header for the free flowing nature it offers. If you go fr the Trapp, go ahead & get 14 baffles. The 6 isn't near enough.
If that's not something you want to do, the HD muffler threads will get you a lot better sound & surely a nice performance increase. If you have a small boat & need an anchor that wont get hung on stuff, the stock muffler may be a good choice here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/15/07 at 05:46:50

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
My opinion:

The stock muffler is not worth messing with. It weighs a ton & will sound crummy no matter what you do. Spring for a Supertrapp if you can. I don't know if the guys with the Rassk  exhausts would want to do it over as they did or not. Maybe if Ii had one I would sneer at the Trapp. I dunno. I do really like the Supertrapp. Performance jumped. If I could do another mod I would wish I had a single walled header for the free flowing nature it offers. If you go fr the Trapp, go ahead & get 14 baffles. The 6 isn't near enough.
If that's not something you want to do, the HD muffler threads will get you a lot better sound & surely a nice performance increase. If you have a small boat & need an anchor that wont get hung on stuff, the stock muffler may be a good choice here.

I don't sneer at the Trapp.  I really like it, but it's on my spouse's now cause I went down a different path Tongue

Yeah, as Justin says, don't bother, buy a good aftermarket exhaust and save your stock one if you ever want to sell the bike.  After all the work that you'll go through to screw up the stock one, you probably won't like the sound anyway.  I think they might even get all blued when you do that too.

It does weigh a ton, as Justin said Tongue

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/15/07 at 08:02:39

Even if you drill out the rivets on a stock muffler you still need to deal with the end piece that is welded in. A hole saw would be the way to go to get the baffle out but then you will need to weld it all back together again. I went that route when I first got my '02 and ended up not liking the results. A aftermarket muffler is the way to go, I drilled a 3/8 hole in the baffle of a sporty muffler and like the sound and look. There are a lot of different mufflers out there for Harley's, some fit and work better than others. A Super Trapp or Rassk is the next step up, haven't tried one so can't say which is better.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler Rivets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.