Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: 'Lyce Burner'
Reply #1 - 03/14/07 at 05:47:54

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
As in 'Lycette Seat' ....

In my continuing quest to ride a motorcycle that resembles a classic British thumper, I fitted a Lycette seat and a set of 8" Bantam springs to Freya.

The installation is still fairly crude, the front mount is two 3" mild steel 'L' brackets shortened and drilled to match the original mount holes, bolted to the seat frame with 1/4-28 stainless bolts and some plastic low-friction washers so the seat nose can rotate.

The rear springs are simply through-bolted to the original mount holes on the bike, and then also bolted to the back rail of the seat. Even with 2 coils threaded above the rail, thse springs are just too long. I'm either going to replace them, or get nasty with a rigging cutter and shorten them about 2.5-3"

Now I ride a good 4" higher, and with considerably more comfort than the stock seat, cheerfully surveying the world around me.

Freya now feels quite proper and reminds me of my Uncle's pre-war Panther - except that Freya always starts, often stops, rarely bathes my right foot in boiling oil, and has not yet caught fire ...

Cheers

Jim

At least you don't have any problems seeing over the sidecar...Grin

But it feels good, eh?  Hmmm.

Where did you find that seat?  I bought a seat last year, and without even a full blown street test the stupid mounts broke off the bottom of the seat.  Cheap Chinese welds, I guess.  I like the retro style of your seat.

Then, where did you find those springs?  8"?  Gives new meaning to "getting a leg up".  I've not seen any with those kinds of ends before...guess that I don't get out enough.

What about the stock seat mounts?  The stock seat rests on the frame.  You're not worried they might bend downward?

All I know is that I've tried to mount a springer seat for 2 years, but all I've managed to come up with is a better view of my front fender.

Here's my seat.  I've been resigned to forget the springs since the mounts broke off, but at least it's lower without them...still searching on this project...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/14/07 at 06:38:21

Yep, you got yourself some springs alright.   Wink

Very cool indeed.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/14/07 at 10:32:57

That's one cool seat!  Really suits the rest of the bike.  Classy looking ride!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 'Lyce Burner'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.