Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm 6 foot and 215.. Too big for a Savage? (Read 108 times)
Roywhite
Ex Member

I'm 6 foot and 215.. Too big for a Savage?
03/13/07 at 12:44:29

I used to ride 20 years ago. I had a Yamaha 650 special that I loved and rode everywhere in the bay Area. Got Married, moved to Oregon, had kids, sold the Bike for safety. Now my Wife wants me to buy another motorcyle now that the kids are grown and we are 'empty nesters' looking for something fun to do together.  
I'm considering a Savage 650 at the local shop that has 1400 miles on it. A 2002 I think. (They want 3700 for it)I'm 215 and 6 foot tall. My wife is 5'2" and around 125. We are planning on riding around town and joy rides of less than an hour on the Country roads here in Oregon. Chances are we wont get on the highway at all.

Is anyone here my size? Do you think the Savage would be a good bike for what we want to do? Neither of us has the slightest interest in going much over 60 MPH or doing any long distance cruising at all.

I appreciate any advice or input on this. I'm looking at maybe getting the yamaha 600 since its bigger but I like the single cylinder feel my old 650 special had and kind of want to revisit memory lane. Plus the Yamha weighs 100 pounds more.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: I'm 6 foot and 215.. Too big for a Savage?
Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 12:52:07

I am 6ft and weigh 254lbs and I find that the Savage is just fine. I haven't rode two up yet because I have no passenger pegs. (bought the bike used from a pawn shop) The previous owner had obviously laid the bike down hard. Mine is a 2000.

I think with what you are planning with it, it should be okay, just possibly get some stiffer rear shocks and you should be fine.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 12:54:00

Just my opinion.. I am 6' tall 230lbs and I really fill the bike up. My 86 Savage is for my solo use only. I have a dresser for tandem riding.

IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 12:57:04

6 foot, and about a duece.  I fit the bike fine and take my wife out now and again, but her butt barely fits on the one cheek pad.  Cant be comfortable...

WWW   IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/07 at 12:57:28

My husband is about your weight and I weigh more than your wife does and we went two up on it for a ride down 436 and back for the feel and it was fine. Just get a little better cusion for the back passanger. The bike handles just fine when going 2 up.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/13/07 at 13:00:38

Roy... Where are you at in Oregon  ..  Im in Portland... Look at Craigslist  portland  There has been some good deals on 03 and 04 savages

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 03/13/07 at 13:11:21

2004 for $2900 in Salem Or. ( Now ) Shocked

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #7 - 03/13/07 at 13:51:46

I am 6' and too close to 300 lbs. I commute appx 30 miles each day on my '06 I picked up in Oct. The bike is great for what I need. I am also a returning rider from a Honda 500T in the late '70s. Was looking for something easy to handle and easy to work on. Scores about a 99% on both for me. I've done the common carb and muffler mods.One of my corporate bosses asked me when I was going to get a real bike !! My answer was I can outrun them to 70 which at my age is all I really want to recover from. I get 60 mpg with moderate to hard throttle action. The real plus is I only paid 20% ($2900) of a 'real' motorcycle. Opened it up on a local beltway Sunday afternoon (70 mph speed limit). It pulled hard all the way to 85 and started losing steam. Just after I shut it down to the limit our friendly TN Highway Patrol was on the next on ramp. My two up weight and parasail jacket probably kept 10 mph out of it. Not the bike for going to the left and right coast from the mid-south but it is all I need and does what I need very well. Biggest plus is that it made selling my 'war department' easier on that I deserved a toy after 22 years of bliss. Look and shop but for what you state the Savage should be perfect for your needs.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #8 - 03/13/07 at 14:00:25

i am a 6'2" , 230 and I ride it fine it can be a bit cramped on long rides, but if you do the seat mod described here it can be a very comfortable ride.

Also I have ridden two up, when i took my mom out for a ride and she's about your wife size. THe bike had no problems, And that was before all the mods I've been doing.

Welcome and good luck.

I grew up in Tigard and vancouver where are you at? I'd love to ride my savage on the back roads between portland and hillsboro, it'd be a grogeous ride.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Roywhite
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/07 at 14:52:07

Thanks for all the advice.

I live in Turner down by Salem and used to ride a tandem bicycle quite a bit with my Wife. Unfortunately I had some neck surgery done and now I cant extend my neck to look up and forward like you have to on a bicycle. We will be riding on the same roads we used to ride the Bicycle on. Little loops of 50 miles or so. The neck surgery causes constant tension headaches and so on now so longer rides are still out.

Last November I went to Cozumel in the Caribbean  to go scuba diving and while I was there I rented a little scooter. A Honda 50. LOVED IT! Reminded me so much of the old days riding my Yamaha 650. It was a nice eye opener to realize I can still ride a motorcycle for short periods of time without my neck seizing up too badly. There were quite a few couples in our little group riding double to save money on rentals and they were having so much fun. (My wife didn't go since the scuba vacation was a lifelong dream of mine and expensive as heck.)

When I came home I was so pumped about riding the scooter that my wife got excited about getting a scooter for us. However. A scooter for two... I don't think so. 25 years ago when i was riding the 650 it was considered a big bike but now people are carrying on as if a 650 is way too small and dangerous for two people to ride on. The Yamaha 650 special was great with 2 people 25 .. (ok 28.. THERE! I admitted it!) years ago so why wouldn't the Savage do Ok with two?  

Give me a break!!! It seems to me that these monstrous bikes with 1900 cc are accidents waiting to happen. some of them weigh 600 pounds and more and have more horsepower than my car. Who wants to go 160 miles an hour anyway!

Basically I'm looking for a way to enjoy our rides out in the country like we used to do on our Tandem bike without the pedaling! I'm thinking it will be much safer than Cycling because we will be going with the flow of traffic instead of having rednecks in pickups speeding by a foot away from us.

I was considering a Honda Rebel 250 or a 125 even but have decided to go up to the 650 for the road stability.
I'll probably ride to work spring and summer days and double on the weekends to the river and maybe the beach (an hour ride)

I think its going to be great. I need to get down there to the cycle shop and buy me a bike!!!

Oh. I used to love the thumping the Yamaha put out and figure the Savage might put the same vibe out. i've read the Savage backfires on deceleration. It made me smile when I read that because the Yamaha used to do the same thing.

BTW I looked on Craigslist and couldn't find the Bike you are talking about.

Roy

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/13/07 at 15:12:21

Its there just went there to see it again.....  Has pics also....  04 Savage   5400 miles  

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 03/13/07 at 17:14:40

I ride two up with the Savage all the time.  No problems, tho not as quick as my Magna or KZ1000, but plenty sufficient!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 03/13/07 at 17:16:08

BTW, I'm 6'1" and 220lbs of molten manhood! Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Roywhite
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/13/07 at 17:28:06

Im home with a slight cold.. So i'm surfing the web researching mid sized motorcycles. Some reviews of the Savage say that if your over 5'10" your going to feel... 'cramped' on it with your knees up around your ears.... That sounds like so much baloney to me it seemed fine sitting on it in the shop.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 03/13/07 at 17:38:55

I agree that savage would be o.k. for your needs, but I think your old yamaha 650 special was a vertical twin.  It would have about 10 more hp, but the savage is lighter, simpler and easier to maintain.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm 6 foot and 215.. Too big for a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.