Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WalMart oil (Read 18 times)
john1652
Ex Member

WalMart oil
02/25/07 at 16:14:30

Does anyone use wally world oil in their scoot? I have a long last decided to go to the synthetic stuff and am trying wallys brand of full synthetic.  It is made by a big company---I can't remember who but I was wondering if anyone els has tried it yet????   Also any problem running full synthetic in a new bike???/ I put it in the crank case of a 1978 Honda CR250R and after about a half hour of moto cross it began to smoke more than it should. Come to find out synthetic does not lube old seals very well and it let oil go right past the crank seals. So I have been a little learry of full synthetic since then.   john

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: WalMart oil
Reply #1 - 02/25/07 at 16:16:14

I use Mobil1 full synthetic from Wal-Mart.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #2 - 02/25/07 at 16:28:11

My boss is a long time mechanic. Worked several years at a Ford dealership etc, etc. He is a big time research nut on the internet comparing specs and all that stuff. He swears that wally oil is as good as any. He runs wally 15-40 in all his vehicles from new Dodge pick-up and Land Rover down to his 84 Chevy pick-up. I've run it in my old stuff with no problem. I put full synthetic in my '06 Savage at the 500 mile oil change. Have about 1100 now and doing good. I think as long as you are past that initial break-in point, go for it. Price really isn't a factor with only 2 qts (more or less) needed

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 16:29:04

No experience with wallyoil but, you shouldn't use synth oil in a brand new bike until the rings are broke in.   600 miles or so.  Also during break-in keep the revs down and vary your speed, decel/accel is good, steady speed is less good.
After that synth oil is great!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/07 at 16:53:44

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
No experience with wallyoil but, you shouldn't use synth oil in a brand new bike until the rings are broke in.   600 miles or so.  Also during break-in keep the revs down and vary your speed, decel/accel is good, steady speed is less good.
Thanks for the advice, but I am a little past the break in period already.   john

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 02/25/07 at 19:00:54

All syn oils are not created equal - some aren't going to be too good on your clutch perhaps -I use it always but in the savages is motorcycle spec syn

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/26/07 at 05:40:22

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

I agree with this one....I'd wait until about 2K to use synthetic in the new engine....  

Part of the reason that oil gets so dirty and the first oil change comes quickly is the internal wear in the engine during break-in.  And I for one don't think the engine is broken in at 600.

The idea of "break-in" involves certain desirable effects from friction.  That being gears that mesh and rings that seat.  Parts that "wear in" to one another and run more smoothly together.

This "wisdom" could possibly be outdated with more modern oils, but part of the concept of synthetic oil is less friction and therefore you could reduce the desirable amounts of "wearing in".

I'd take a milliliter of patience and do it next oil change.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 02/26/07 at 09:38:13

While you're at it, replace your oil drain plug with a magnetic drain plug.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/26/07 at 13:13:34

Or get a magnetic oil filter Tongue

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/26/07 at 14:07:19

well thanks, but you see i am well over the 600 mark and well over the 2000 mark actually 4005 miles to be exact. This is the third oil change and I was just wondering if anyone had tried the wally brand of synthetic.   john

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 02/26/07 at 14:57:29

The "better" the oil, the "worse" it is for "break-in" provided that an engine is designed and machined to have a "break-in" period.  The Savage IS designed to have a break-in period.  Greg is spot-on with the break-in advice for this type of engine.  Rings and gears do need to wear together, but this isn't just a syn vs. non-syn oil question.

Without going into a LONG discertation on the "why's" and "wherefore's", I'll give this advice for the Savage.  Use petrol, for the first two or three oil changes, any "diesel" grade oil will suffice, and then switch promptly to a "good" synthetic.  Amsoil 10-40 is the best, and the best for the $, followed  by Mobil 1 20-50 v-twin.  I'd use either of these in any riding condition imaginable.  At this time I cannot recommend any other oil in good conscience.  But, I'm somewhat of a fanatic when it comes to oil, and I'll tell you all now, my standards are VERY high.  If anyone is interested, I can explain much more fully on another dedicated thread, but don't want to bore anyone, or tick anyone off.  This has been a topic of hot debate multiple times across more forums and other venues than just this one.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 02/26/07 at 15:13:36

john1652 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Does anyone use wally world oil in their scoot? I have a long last decided to go to the synthetic stuff and am trying wallys brand of full synthetic.  It is made by a big company---I can't remember who but I was wondering if anyone els has tried it yet????   Also any problem running full synthetic in a new bike???/ I put it in the crank case of a 1978 Honda CR250R and after about a half hour of moto cross it began to smoke more than it should. Come to find out synthetic does not lube old seals very well and it let oil go right past the crank seals. So I have been a little learry of full synthetic since then.   john

When did you mention 600 miles???  I guess that you didn't.  Hmmmm.

Looks like a Round Robin crapped in this topic Tongue

4K miles?  Okay.  Yes.  Go for it.

Greg Out....

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 02/26/07 at 15:24:53

I too am a strong believer in syn oil and running higher than the minimum required (R+M)/2 but it can be sort of like

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 02/26/07 at 15:49:55

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I too am a strong believer in syn oil and running higher than the minimum required (R+M)/2 but it can be sort of like
http://reelthing.savageriders.com/pics/savage/deadhorse.gif

Thanks for the new graphic Grin

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #14 - 02/26/07 at 15:56:48

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
http://reelthing.savageriders.com/pics/savage/deadhorse.gif

Be better if it was a monkey instead of a horse, IMO....

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 19:39:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WalMart oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.