Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Won't start... suggestions? (Read 0 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Won't start... suggestions?
02/25/07 at 16:02:28

Tonight I finally got the project Savage put back together and ready to try and start her.  No luck!  The starting system seems to be working fine.  The starter cranks right up and you can hear it trying to start the bike.  Every once in a while I can hear a single "pop."  When trying to push start it, I get about the same results.  Oh, by the way, in reference to push starting.. OH MY &^$ ... This is the lightest bike I have ever owned and also by far the hardest to push start....what's up with that?  

Anyway..My question is this.... pushing the starter button and having the starter trying to fire it work fuel out of the tank and into the carb then the cylinder?  My logic tells me no..... I don't claim to know too much about motors, but I am learning.  It seems to me that the vaccuum somes somehow from the piston moving downward in the cylinder.  Yes or no?  How can I get the fuel down without tearing the whole thing apart and taking the bowl off the bottom of the carb?  

I'm soooo close that this is killing me...

Thanks.

Robert McCracken

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Won't start... suggestions?
Reply #1 - 02/25/07 at 16:05:42

praetorian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
How can I get the fuel down without tearing the whole thing apart and taking the bowl off the bottom of the carb?  

I'm soooo close that this is killing me...

Thanks.

Robert McCracken

Turn the petc0ck to PRI so that it doesn't need vacuum to let gas flow.  Open the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl and see if gas comes out the drain.

PS- there is a small arrow cast into the petc0ck lever.  That points to PRI.  In other words, the lever covers the word

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 02/25/07 at 16:12:14

you might want to check for a spark in the spark plug, although with the occaassional pop, I'd be more tempted to think fuel (or timing).

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 17:29:06

Thanks for the replies

Greg_650 - Thanks for the info.... I had the lever reversed... I assumed that the short end of the lever should be pointing at the "PRI", not the long end of it covering the "PRI."  I now have fuel in the carb.... confirmed by the drain screw being loosened.

Trippah - I did check the spark plug and am definately getting a spark.

Well ... after getting fuel into the carb and verifying the spark... still no start..... DEAD BATTERY!!!    Arrrggggg .... seems that a lot of cranking drains the battery fairly quickly.  That and the fact that it has been sitting on my garage floor for a couple months since I got it and charged it.  Soooo it is currently sitting hooked up to a battery tender charging slowly.  I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try again.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 02/25/07 at 20:45:23

Along with others... It you are getting a stong spark, chances are the problem is in the fuel system. Finding out where can be tricky. What is the temp where/when you are trying to start? What choke/throttle proceedure are you using? Possible flooding?

Oh... and just a couple of nit-picks: Internal combustion power sources are "engines." Electric powered is a "motor." Also, has nobody ever told you to never leave a battery sitting on a cement floor (or directly on the ground)?

Good luck with getting it going!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/25/07 at 20:48:52

Thanks for the replies

Greg_650 - Thanks for the info.... I had the lever reversed... I assumed that the short end of the lever should be pointing at the "PRI", not the long end of it covering the "PRI."  I now have fuel in the carb.... confirmed by the drain screw being loosened.

Trippah - I did check the spark plug and am definately getting a spark.

Well ... after getting fuel into the carb and verifying the spark... still no start..... DEAD BATTERY!!!    Arrrggggg .... seems that a lot of cranking drains the battery fairly quickly.  That and the fact that it has been sitting on my garage floor for a couple months since I got it and charged it.  Soooo it is currently sitting hooked up to a battery tender charging slowly.  I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try again.

Great.  I'm glad that worked.  When I first got the bike, I though the lever went the other way too...after all, it is way down there Smiley

Besides, if it didn't work then we'd have another dent sucked in the tank joke, for sure Tongue

As for the battery, there's another topic just like that going on too.  Must be that time of year...

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/07 at 17:07:20

Well, the Savage started right up tonight.  I ended up with a bit of an issue with the throttle cable needing adjustment, but she is running like a top now.  Thanks to everyone for their assistance on this problem..... talk to you all with the next problem Roll Eyes Shocked Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/26/07 at 20:57:21

Well, the Savage started right up tonight.  I ended up with a bit of an issue with the throttle cable needing adjustment, but she is running like a top now.  Thanks to everyone for their assistance on this problem..... talk to you all with the next problem Roll Eyes Shocked Undecided

A happy ending makes me all gooey feeling.  I'm just soooo happy now Grin

Great job.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 13:00:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start... suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.