Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GAS EVERYWHERE! WHY? (Read 2 times)
Martin
Ex Member

GAS EVERYWHERE! WHY?
02/24/07 at 16:29:30

At the first traffic light today, I noticed a puddle forming fast and big under the bike. When I stopped the engine, no dripping. When I started the engine, more dripping, but not always/all the time. Can't see where it is coming from but the lower end of the bike is drenched with gas.

What is going on?

The 97 Savage was sitting with drained carbs for about 6 weeks indoors. Otherwise never any problem.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: GAS EVERYWHERE! WHY?
Reply #1 - 02/24/07 at 16:37:15

Martin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
At the first traffic light today, I noticed a puddle forming fast and big under the bike. When I stopped the engine, no dripping. When I started the engine, more dripping, but not always/all the time. Can't see where it is coming from but the lower end of the bike is drenched with gas.

What is going on?

The 97 Savage was sitting with drained carbs for about 6 weeks indoors. Otherwise never any problem.

First guess.  It's been sitting with drained carbs and your float is stuck down.  The engine is on and the vacuum is on and the gas is on.

Turn it to PRI with the engine off and see if gas comes out again.  If it does, then tap on the carb bowl with a plastic screw driver handle and see if that loosens it up...it will stop if it does.

If not then drop the bowl off and check for dirt (after turning it back to ON) Smiley

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 02/25/07 at 18:10:56

I agree it was probably a stuck float.  They can stick down when drained and sitting dry for a while.  In the spring I always keep my trusty screw driver handle close by to rap on them when I first fill them and fire up the bike.

I had an odd one last summer.    I thought I was going to burn up my last project moments after it was done.  I had ridden it to work.  Came out that night to go home an same thing.  Fired it up and gas everywere!  I tried the knocking on the float bowl and no help.

I hauled it home in the back of my truck and pulled the carbs.  From what I could tell the float pivot had stuck against the edge of the float bowl.  That particular carb has only two screws holding on each bowl and you could slide the bowl forward and back a little bit and I think I had it pushed towards the pivot.  I reasembled it pushed the other way and no problems since.

I asked the suzuki mechanic at the dealership I used to work at if he had ever run into that on the 1100's and he just looked at me with this big grin.  I asked him what caused it and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he never has figured it out!

go with the screw driver handle rap first.  then if that doesn't work pull the carb and check the float and needle & seat.  Obviously it was not shutting off the gas flow and it was overflowing the carb. (assuming you didn't have a hole in the tank or fuel line) It can only be one of two things.  A float stuck down or a needle & seat that is not shutting off.  It is possilbe to get a little debris in the needle & seat and continue to flow gas even with the float fully up.

Good luck!

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 20:43:04

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
.... (assuming you didn't have a hole in the tank or fuel line)

That's encouragement Grin

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 02/26/07 at 03:46:38

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That's encouragement Grin

You've been around enough to know stranger things have happened! Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/26/07 at 05:23:14

You've been around enough to know stranger things have happened! Wink

Yeah, I've got a real good one about a petc0ck that came apart while traveling down the interstate, but it probably belongs in the Cafe under the "Dent Sucking and Other True Lies" topic.

Grin

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 02/26/07 at 09:51:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Yeah, I've got a real good one about a petc0ck that came apart while traveling down the interstate, but it probably belongs in the Cafe under the "Dent Sucking and Other True Lies" topic.

Grin

You just really don't like that contracting air theory do you!  That's fine..we'll let it lay.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/26/07 at 13:08:00

You just really don't like that contracting air theory do you!  That's fine..we'll let it lay.

Sure I do.  And this is a gas tank, too Tongue

IP Logged
Martin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/06/07 at 17:59:13

Thank you all for the advice. Tapping the carb (with a rubber mallet) seems to have done the trick. In any case, not a drop of leak since then.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/06/07 at 18:27:33

so wheres the other carb?? 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/07/07 at 05:25:29

Martin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thank you all for the advice. Tapping the carb (with a rubber mallet) seems to have done the trick. In any case, not a drop of leak since then.

Thanks again!

Stuck float then?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 03/08/07 at 04:07:19

Based on all the thousands of carbs that have been tapped over the years by mechanics and owners I would have to say ......

YUP!  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/08/07 at 04:51:32

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Based on all the thousands of carbs that have been tapped over the years by mechanics and owners I would have to say ......

YUP!  Smiley

Thousands of tapped carbs?  You've got me beat, but it would only take a 1/2 dozen or so for me to be convinced Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:48:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GAS EVERYWHERE! WHY?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.