Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Holes in the airbox?? (Read 21 times)
Yellow96

Holes in the airbox??
03/04/07 at 06:34:32

Was thinking about putting some holes in the airbox to free it up a bit.  Any experience out there on if that it effective or not?

What will that do to my mixture?  I'm guessing it leans it out a bit.  Is it worth it in terms of milage or power?  I have a drop in K&N and Edelbrock QuickSilver and a Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Holes in the airbox??
Reply #1 - 03/04/07 at 07:08:58

you can de snorkel the box and see if theres any difference.. the k&n and your muff got you breathing pretty free holin the box would have minimal effect jmo..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 03/04/07 at 07:32:56

Or just leave the door off for a bit - you are likely to go a little lean

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 03/04/07 at 07:56:39

i swiss cheesed the air box door for the added air flow, nessesary when opening up the exhaust, and jetting up. the snorkel area was stuffed with wires when i added the sportster seat, so desnorkeling wasn't an option. i also kept the stock filter, as paper does a better job cleaning the air (we live in the desert), i felt it was more important than the increased air flow the k&n might offer. it worked well for us.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/04/07 at 08:28:19

Pulling off the air box door is the easiest way to see if you need better air flow to the carb. There was a noticable difference in backfiring from a lean condition without the door and a 152.5 main jet on my '02. Ended up drilling out the door which was a happy medium, could of gone up to a 155 main but with a sporty muffler the in/out of the engine might of been out of ballance. Didn't want to fix it broke Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/04/07 at 16:19:29

I cheesed the airbox door as well. Seems to be working well.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/05/07 at 04:35:11

I always give a second thought to modifying stock parts, for a couple reasons...

- what if it makes no difference or I don't like it?

- what if I decide to change it back or sell the bike?

All the time in this forum we hear about people buying bikes that have been altered or are missing parts.  Often we wonder why would the previous owner do "that" to a bike.

Ron Ayers lists the door for about $9.  Will you buy a new one if you ever decide to sell the bike and will you be the subject of a future topic by a future owner in this forum?

I'd either take the conservative step of removing the door, or get really radical and take the whole airbox out.

Most of you know that I went radical, but at least my airbox is still in perfect condition 8)

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 03/05/07 at 09:11:17

What Greg says is one of the wisest things.  NEVER do an experiment, that You are paying for, if You are not sure about the result and You can not go back. Of cource You can always use some duct tape to plug the holes, but WHY if there is an easier and more proper way.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/05/07 at 10:24:01

Instead of poking holes in the side cover, try removing the snorkel at the top.  Just remove the seat, grab the snorkel with pliers and pull.  It's a pretty plain bottleneck and removing it will accomplish what sieving the cover would while still offering protection from rain and such.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/05/07 at 11:28:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Instead of poking holes in the side cover, try removing the snorkel at the top.  Just remove the seat, grab the snorkel with pliers and pull.  It's a pretty plain bottleneck and removing it will accomplish what sieving the cover would while still offering protection from rain and such.

Very true...what additional area would you estimate? 15-20% more?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/05/07 at 12:54:45

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Very true...what additional area would you estimate? 15-20% more?

I'd have to go look at my snorkel again to be sure but, from memory, I'd say more like 30-35%.  The bulk of that thing really blocks a lot of airflow.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #11 - 03/05/07 at 19:53:07

yank the snorkel. Its a lot less work. IMHO. 8)

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 03/08/07 at 19:51:54

Hi I have a Yellow 96 !

One of the first things I did was take the paper off the air filter and wrap it with free breathing foam from my local grocery store produce dept.  It ran allmost too lean.   At one time I had a 160 main jet in it.  It ran like a monster and drank gas like on too(42 mpg).  now I've got a 135 main and a 55 pilot jet and get in the 55 mpg range.  Doin't poke holes in your breather box....take the filter out and you might be supprised how much restristion you remove.  one light layer of foam will keep the bugs and such out.

Have a blessed Day:          MM Ranch

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/08/07 at 20:32:01

This might be useful.

The TPI Valve is designed to increase air flow into your air box and carburetors.  

Racers and tuners as well as many trail riders have known for many years that opening up the air box in order to flow more air makes more horse power.  This is usually called “ventilating” or “gutting” the air box.  They also know that more air means that the engine will be running leaner exactly the same as installing a smaller main jet.

Only one thing was missing, and that was the ability to go back to the richer jetting required for colder weather or lower altitudes.  What did they do about this?  They tried to tape or stuff foam rubber in the openings they had created.  All of this was very messy and imprecise.  Much of the time they were either too rich or too lean or they had to start changing main jets in order to be jetted correctly.

There must be a better way?  There is!!  It’s called a TPI valve.  The TPI Valve can be opened completely to the leanest position or closed completely to the richest position or any position in between.

The TPI Valve gives you a range of two to four jet sizes of adjustment providing you use the recommended number of valves in your air box.

For more information on airbox modifications, read:  Airbox, Friend or Foe?

The TPI "Knobby" Valve is 1 1/2" diameter and 1 1/2" high.

The TPI "Low-Boy" valve is a flush mounting version which is 2 5/8" square overall.

TPI Valves come with filters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:34:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Holes in the airbox??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.