Send Topic Print
pistons again! (Read 35 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
pistons again!
02/24/07 at 11:24:49

anyone notice that you can buy factory oversized pistons for the savage. at least the microfiche from ron ayers and bike bandit show it and you can order it for around 80?

I think it might be fun to have an oversized, HC piston in the savage. can you use a 97mm, hc, piston from a harley or other maker?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: pistons again!
Reply #1 - 02/24/07 at 16:13:02

Yep.  I believe that Wiseco has one that can be used to bump her up to 700 easily.

I think that Lancer has an overbore in his too.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #2 - 02/24/07 at 17:38:10

Lancer,

Can you comment on your experience here. What size piston did you go with, and where did you get it? Did you do anything to up the compression ratio?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 02/24/07 at 19:22:47

Do a search on Wiseco and set the days back to 800 or so - we've been kicking this around for a long time - last year all was that was needed for them to make us a 9.5:1 overbore custom was an order for 24@$122 each -

wonder if we have enough interest yet?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 02/24/07 at 20:01:13

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lancer,

Can you comment on your experience here. What size piston did you go with, and where did you get it? Did you do anything to up the compression ratio?

I had engine damage and had to bore it.  At the time I just wanted to go to the next size up so that there would be room for another bore later if something happened again.  So I went from the stock 94 to a 95, which makes for 667cc +/- I believe.  I sent the cylinder and new piston to Bore Tech (www.bore-tech.com) for the bore/hone work and also had the silicone carbide treatment done at the same time.  Very reasonable work, even today the price for the bore/hone is just $60 and the silicone carbide is just $115 ... and worth every penny !

"BORE TECH has developed the only permanent surface enhancement process for motorcycles and small engine cylinders for longevity and power robbing friction reduction.  There is no spray coating or plating for cast iron liners that compares to the performance of CARBIDE BORE PROCESS cylinders.

Immediate break-in

Improved ring seal

Superior oil retention

Less friction provides lower temperatures

Leaner fuel mixtures possible

Excellent wear characteristics

Anti-siezure properties  

The CARBIDE BORE PROCESS combines the best features of ceramics and cast iron cylinder bores.  This evolutionary process of impregnating diamond-hard silicon carbide particles into the cylinder wall is truly a technical advance directed at the problem of bore surface wear.   The advantages of the process are compelling"

This technique is not a coating that builds up or is a layer on top of the base metal, thus cannot be used to restore worn bores back to size.  Imbedding the carbide particles into a straight, round bore locks the ceramics into the pores of the base metal in a manner that prohibits the particles from dislodging.  A "Plateau" finish bearing curve provides good oil retention sites with optimum surface for ring sealing

During the development, carried out by BORE TECH on the CARBIDE BORE PROCESS, all types of engines have been tested in various forms of competition.  The extreme conditions of racing provided us with quick and accurate data feedback.  Motorcycle roadracers, motocross, and drag racers to snowmobile, watercraft, karts, and mini-sprints have gained phenomenal engine life as a result of this technology

BORE TECH uses mechanical infusion technology to force fine particles of silicon carbide under pressure into the cyclinder wall.  The carbide being twelve times harder than steel, gives an unusually wear-resistant surface... one that is also oil wettable.  The result is a cylinder that won't wear out (at least, not at anything approaching the normal rate) but actually breaks in like plain iron.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #5 - 02/24/07 at 20:23:45

Did you do anything to increase the compression ratio?

Also FYI, wisco has the ls650 under the offroad bikes. i dont think these pistons are HC ratio though.

http://www.pistons-online.com/motorcycle1.asp?br=Suzuki&st=43&end=43

And ross pistons will make 4 pistons for $100 each.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 02/25/07 at 05:22:51

just the act of putting a larger piston in the hole, and not changing the combustion chamber size, raises the compression ratio. would need numbers to calculate how much.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/25/07 at 07:21:03

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
just the act of putting a larger piston in the hole, and not changing the combustion chamber size, raises the compression ratio. would need numbers to calculate how much.

Ah, it's not just a larger piston.  It's a larger piston in a larger hole which also changes the combustion chamber size (displacement).  Did I read that wrong?  

The stroke is 94 MM.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 02/25/07 at 16:18:06

Greg-  are you talking about displacement while azjay was talking compression ratio's?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/25/07 at 16:43:05

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Greg-  are you talking about displacement while azjay was talking compression ratio's?  

Yep.  But my point is the reverse.  Larger displacement doesn't mean higher compression.

But then if you'll notice, I also questioned my interpretation...

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 02/26/07 at 15:17:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Yep.  But my point is the reverse.  Larger displacement doesn't mean higher compression.

But then if you'll notice, I also questioned my interpretation...

It is an interesting point. Just exactly how would increasing bore affect the compression ratio?

More fuel/air squished into a smaller(?) or larger(?) chamber?

Personally, it's my opinion that there would be much more power unleashed by a little higher compression ratio than a tiny bit of cylinder displacement... But if both could be had for the same money... why not?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 02/26/07 at 15:39:04

All things being equal, a larger bore and piston(s) in the same motor will increase compression ratio.  But that assumes all things are truely equal.  If you had a piston with the same deck height, valve reliefs, and ring positions a larger piston and bore would increase the compression ratio, but......what are we talking here 0.020-0.060 inches?!?  That's not a good way to increase compression ratio.  You'd be better off hooking up a hair dryer with the heating element removed to the intake side and "supercharging" the intake air.

BTW, used that technique on a moped to double the HP.  Burned the motor up pretty quickly tho Embarrassed  But that was in my younger days Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/26/07 at 15:45:18

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
All things being equal, a larger bore and piston(s) in the same motor will increase compression ratio.  But that assumes all things are truely equal.  If you had a piston with the same deck height, valve reliefs, and ring positions a larger piston and bore would increase the compression ratio, but......what are we talking here 0.020-0.060 inches?!?  That's not a good way to increase compression ratio.  You'd be better off hooking up a hair dryer with the heating element removed to the intake side and "supercharging" the intake air.

BTW, used that technique on a moped to double the HP.  Burned the motor up pretty quickly tho Embarrassed  But that was in my younger days Grin

Sure it will, but not as significantly as changing the squish area in the combustion chamber or changing the stroke.

Simply a larger piston like this one won't do so much that you'll be needing more octane.  Yet, I think that Wiseco will make you a crowned piston with valve clearance.

You moped intake heater is interesting.  Turbo 2 stroke Smiley

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 02/26/07 at 15:50:32

You could also use a mechanical smog pump for the same purpose Grin  (driven mechanically instead of electrically, of course  Grin)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 02/26/07 at 20:54:27

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
You could also use a mechanical smog pump for the same purpose Grin  (driven mechanically instead of electrically, of course  Grin)

There's another member in here with a Motobecane.  Wonder if that would work for him Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pistons again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.