Send Topic Print
11” Progressive Shocks (Read 15 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
11” Progressive Shocks
02/23/07 at 13:54:57

The first aftermarket upgrade to my ’06 LS650 was the SuperTrapp muffler, P.No. 728-50650. No regrets there.  Then after getting tired of my back being hammered by the stock shocks I decided to go with the Progressives based on this site’s information.  However, unlike most, I did not want the 12.5” shocks that are a full 2” longer than stock causing clearance issues with the belt guard.  Instead I found 11” Progressives P.No. 412-4233C work quite nicely.  The bottom shock mounting eye is offset and I installed this inwards.  As a result the shock is not perfectly vertical looking from the rear and tilts very slightly out at the bottom.  No issue there.  Nothing interfered on the belt side with the swingarm being lowered 0.5” and the only potential issue was the rear axle almost touched the SuperTrapp at full extension.  I added a few fender washers on the mounting bracket to space the muffler out a tad.  So far, so good and certainly an improvement over stock.  But, now I can feel the slight flex in the front forks so I guess a brace is in order there.  Where will it ever end?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 11” Progressive Shocks
Reply #1 - 02/23/07 at 14:25:09

Congratulations!  The 11" set are perfect for the LS650.  I went with the 12.5" set because I really didn't think it would make as much of a difference as it did.  It took some getting used to but I like it a lot now.  If you want to keep yours as close to the stock height as possible but improve the ride a lot, the 11" are what you want.  If I were to do it over, I would likely choose 11.5".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: 11” Progressive Shocks
Reply #2 - 02/23/07 at 14:50:10

Excellent choice.
The thought is:
412-4232C for a soft ride @90/130lb springs  
412-4233C for a firm ride @115/155lb springs  

since you have the 4233C's certainly they perform much better than stock - when you first sit down on the bike do they about the same initial give as stock or just a tad softer?  

the 4232C's are much softer than stock to start
not talking about once you get going then the progressive spring rate kicks in.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Re: 11” Progressive Shocks - Belt Tension
Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 15:06:13

Note the drive belt tension is reduced at a lowered position with longer shocks.  The tightest position is with the centers of drive sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear axle in a straight line.  All this means is your tension gage won't read correctly with the bike unloaded at rest with shocks longer than stock.  The 90-degree twist still works good enough.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:48:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 11” Progressive Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.