Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Cam Shaft Porosity
Reply #45 - 09/12/07 at 04:46:49

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Glad to hear it's all coming together well, and that you are happy with the results so far. Three cheers to you getting a good long run out of your build!

What with the extent of all the mods you did, it's kind of too bad it would be impractical, and too expensive, to reassemble and dyno the bike about 14 different times to quantify which individual part(s); or combinations of changes contributed exactly which improvements.

You're still on the stock, but re-jetted, Mikuni aren't you?

You must be tempted to spend the bucks to get it dyno charted after a good break-in and final adjustments?

I'd just be itching to know what the charted curves would look like on it compared to the few others that have been posted. Mostly my curiosity about the porting...

Good work, and good luck with it!  8)

Thanks.

After all this time that when finally riding, I completely forgot the one change That I was most curious about.  The chain conversion....

Dropping from 2.96 to 2.64 really had me wondering what would happen to the bottom end torque, but that was forgotten until I found myself doing 30 in a 20 MPH school zone.  Then I thought, "what's that correction factor?"

With the Raask exhaust, I couldn't hear the chain anyway Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #46 - 09/12/07 at 05:32:27

I am ending up having to do a chain conversion on mine.  The sportster mag wheels I am prepping for it made it necessary to go to the chain since the belt pulley's for the rear wheel have a different tooth shap to them and the Savage belt will not work with them.   Fortunately the #530  chain will work on both the Suzuki front sprocket and the Harley rear sprocket.  I just found an o-ring chain on ebay for $68 and am shopping for the sprockets.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 09/12/07 at 09:03:40

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I am ending up having to do a chain conversion on mine.  The sportster mag wheels I am prepping for it made it necessary to go to the chain since the belt pulley's for the rear wheel have a different tooth shap to them and the Savage belt will not work with them.   Fortunately the #530  chain will work on both the Suzuki front sprocket and the Harley rear sprocket.  I just found an o-ring chain on ebay for $68 and am shopping for the sprockets.

I doubt that you need a sprocket catalog, but I'm pretty happy with this one...everything fit perfect.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=4789&p=

Here's a thought...using some gasket maker goop Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #48 - 09/13/07 at 23:01:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks.

After all this time that when finally riding, I completely forgot the one change That I was most curious about.  The chain conversion....

Dropping from 2.96 to 2.64 really had me wondering what would happen to the bottom end torque, but that was forgotten until I found myself doing 30 in a 20 MPH school zone.  Then I thought, "what's that correction factor?"

With the Raask exhaust, I couldn't hear the chain anyway Tongue

What is that... like an 11% down-gear? That is significant. Added to your engine mods, I would think the acceleration would be starting to get pretty snappy.

On one of my quests for ideas, I came across the big I.D. of the Raask, and though "wow, the straight one would make a great header for a short muffler." Then I came back on here and searched around and figured out it wasn't an original idea. Seems there are a couple of you guys who thought of that one ahead of me. It figures... Hard to come up with something nobody has though of before. Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 09/14/07 at 05:31:31

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What is that... like an 11% down-gear? That is significant. Added to your engine mods, I would think the acceleration would be starting to get pretty snappy.

On one of my quests for ideas, I came across the big I.D. of the Raask, and though "wow, the straight one would make a great header for a short muffler." Then I came back on here and searched around and figured out it wasn't an original idea. Seems there are a couple of you guys who thought of that one ahead of me. It figures... Hard to come up with something nobody has though of before. Wink

Yeah, the Raask makes a pretty expensive header pipe, but with that freer flowing ID and the idea that you can "cut to length" to fit a muffler, it seems a possibility.  Max is one of those that did that...

I have the 60 MM Raask and the chrome finish is excellent too.  It may be a little loud, but I still don't have to go far to find a big v-twin that is way louder.

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #50 - 09/16/07 at 14:26:56

hi greg.

can`t see youre pics anymore.

mine is pretty damaged too.(should i renew?)

too tight valve clearance i think

checked site of webcam but could not find cam for savage.

p.s

thank twice for youre brilliant  photoCD.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 09/16/07 at 15:02:15

I haven't been back to page 1 in a while...sorta loses the whole thing without a photo doesn't it?  Gotta fix that...

Yeah, that looks alot like mine.  Too tight on the clearance?  Hmmm.  I have wondered about that.  In the past, I have been particularly fussy about adjusting the valves, and with a tolerance of .003-.005" I have always set it in the middle at .004".  However, when I installed the new cam, decided to set it generously on .005" instead...

The Web Cam site lists it as an LS650, I think, but save yourself the hassle and just order it from Lancer.  I do recommend it.  Quality is excellent, it works well, turn around time is quick, and you get a bunch of cool stickers too Tongue

Thanks about the CD too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #52 - 09/16/07 at 15:17:51

And, oh yeah...check your rocker arms.  If there is a flat spot in the middle, order a new set from Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers.  The instructions for the new cam suggest new rockers and that is just what I did...

Now, what caused it?  A few people have suggested reasons, but it really wasn't a tight valve clearance or low engine oil.  Someone else said theirs was pitted, too.  How come yours looks like mine?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #53 - 09/16/07 at 16:28:03

I ordered myself a new set of rockers too, but after playing with the old ones I think they would have been ok to use.  I worked on one of them a little bit and it seemed to polish out really well.  I did not notice any chrome or other layer on the rocker surface so I thought it would be good to use again.  I will save it for another head I have that MAY be rebuildable...it has a lot of damage from valve's flopping around the cylinder so .......

[b]***About the camshaft... the performance camshaft is not listed on the Webcams website or in their catalog.  It is a custom designed cam/profile that I worked out with the tech guys at Webcam.  The part number used when ordering the camshaft is a highly guarded secret that is under lock and key in a secret  "safety deposit box" in a secret bank in a secret location.  But don't tell anyone because it is a secret.  It sort of works like having a patent or something....a secret patent.

Sooooooooooooo, if you need a cam ......ehhhhhhhhhh........contact Lancer............errrrrrrrrrrr.........me.....................ho ho ho      
 Grin  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 09/17/07 at 07:14:45

All Hail Lancer! Smiley Grin Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #55 - 09/17/07 at 08:42:11

That is interesting......hmmm..what is with that?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #56 - 09/17/07 at 08:49:08

I ordered myself a new set of rockers too, but after playing with the old ones I think they would have been ok to use.  I worked on one of them a little bit and it seemed to polish out really well.  I did not notice any chrome or other layer on the rocker surface so I thought it would be good to use again.  I will save it for another head I have that MAY be rebuildable...it has a lot of damage from valve's flopping around the cylinder so .......

[b]***About the camshaft... the performance camshaft is not listed on the Webcams website or in their catalog.  It is a custom designed cam/profile that I worked out with the tech guys at Webcam.  The part number used when ordering the camshaft is a highly guarded secret that is under lock and key in a secret  "safety deposit box" in a secret bank in a secret location.  But don't tell anyone because it is a secret.  It sort of works like having a patent or something....a secret patent.

Sooooooooooooo, if you need a cam ......ehhhhhhhhhh........contact Lancer............errrrrrrrrrrr.........me.....................ho ho ho      
 Grin  

I feel compelled to add that this entire post was all done in jest.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 09/17/07 at 09:56:15

I feel compelled to add that this entire post was all done in jest.

I feel compelled to agree, and I sure hope that we're not all having a "Case of the Mondays" Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 09/17/07 at 10:09:42

That is interesting......hmmm..what is with that?

Isn't that the way they talked back in the days of those "Lancer" types?

Knights of the Round Table?  Lances?

Guess I'll just go out to the garage, now...

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #59 - 09/17/07 at 16:00:32

hi lancer,

you know i`m from the netherlands.

tell me how to order.

is there a different between types of savage`s ?

maybey it`s better to do it by email.

freddiesmidt (at) wanadoo.nl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:10:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Shaft Porosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.