Cam Shaft Porosity (Read 38 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Cam Shaft Porosity
Reply #30 - 04/18/07 at 11:41:11

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
If I was single, I'd be free from taxes.  Of course, I might live under a bridge too.

I'm a kept biker  Shocked

I know that feeling... I worked for 16 years at a company that had frequent layoffs. Some were so long that the unemployement checks would run out. Sometimes I worked as a state licensed Journeyman HVAC tech, or took other jobs. But other times, my only income was $50-$150 a week from my part-time (weekend warrior) job as guitar slinger for rock, blues, and country bands. During those rare periods in my 26 year marriage, my wife was the main breadwinner, and I considered myself a "kept musician." Often I had motorcycle(s) during those times, so I guess I also qualified as a "kept biker."

Anytime I look back through the years like that, my standard comment is; that my dear wife is only one miricle away from sainthood! Wink

Savage content: Porosity or Galling... regardless of which, IMHO next time you've got that cam out, I highly recommend you toss it and get another. It is a roadside stranding, or even a serious engine accident waiting to happen!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 08/13/07 at 21:53:29

CAM SHAFT POROSITY IS SOLVED!

After months of saving my pennies, I just got my new (reground) camshaft back from Lancer and his "Web Cam" connection.  It looks mighty pretty too.  As the note inside the box said, "Power in a Box".

The whole experience was excellent.  How long did it take?  I think that I sent Lancer my cam about 3 weeks ago.  Not a bad turn around time.  Packaging was great too.

Thanks Lancer!

The first thing that I did was rub on it with lots of fresh clean oil....it likes it, I can tell.  I can't wait to thump again!

Oh yes, I almost forgot....You get some free Web Cam stickers too Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 08/14/07 at 06:56:38

There's nothing prettier than a finely machined piece of metal...especially if it is for a Savage engine.   Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 08/14/07 at 20:17:27

Ok, never saw this old thread till now.
But at 8K miles my 89 GS 500 came with a crows foot scratch on the right intake cam. I never opened it till 15K ... and saw it then, but I bought it with 8K in 1995.
I rode it almost 15K+ a year for ~2 years, then a lot less on an average per year but ridden hard none the less (I had 5-10 bikes on average from 97 though 2005) till 2005 when it had 48K miles. I sold it, and the scratch barely was starting to get less deep (as in around it the cam was wearing. I can only imagine, a divot will take in oil and that oil will keep it cooled and lubed to where it wears less. Just a thought.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 08/16/07 at 04:39:59

srinath wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Ok, never saw this old thread till now.
But at 8K miles my 89 GS 500 came with a crows foot scratch on the right intake cam. I never opened it till 15K ... and saw it then, but I bought it with 8K in 1995.
I rode it almost 15K+ a year for ~2 years, then a lot less on an average per year but ridden hard none the less (I had 5-10 bikes on average from 97 though 2005) till 2005 when it had 48K miles. I sold it, and the scratch barely was starting to get less deep (as in around it the cam was wearing. I can only imagine, a divot will take in oil and that oil will keep it cooled and lubed to where it wears less. Just a thought.
Cool.
Srinath.

Sure.  That thought passed my mind too.  I blame this damage on porosity and bad QA somewhere in the manufacturing process myself.  The oil would reside in the little divots, as you say, but were it not for flats on the rockers I might have just done the same....and not having other rockers for comparison, I decided to ere on the side of caution.  

But what the heck, I really wanted Lancer's cam regrind anyway Tongue

The photo for this topic is on the CD.  I'm getting ready to do a comparison photo of the new Hard Krome camshaft too.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #35 - 08/16/07 at 08:01:14

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 08/16/07 at 08:09:39

As for the rockers, I just saw photos of another set of rockers.  They looked like my old ones.  Anyone know what is actually "good or bad" in rocker arm wear?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 08/18/07 at 06:23:48

Installed Finally!

Now I just gotta figure out where to put some stickers Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 09/09/07 at 08:24:00

Ain't they purdy?  Brandy dam new from Ron Ayers.

Anyway, with the flowed exhaust port, polished head, Lancer's Web Cam, and these new rockers, my Thumper is gonna finally come back to life this week.  The moment of truth is just about here....

Keep yer ears open for either strong seismic tremors or one loud bang in Washington State.  Sumpin' is fixin' to happen Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 09/10/07 at 13:06:14

After months of disassembly for photography, around $500 in new parts, a bunch of discussion about cam chains, and the final engine assembly yesterday, I just came in from the garage to give an update on my Thumper's progress.

As I walked upstairs to my study, I contemplated many different ways that I could explain the results of all this work.  I wasn't sure if I should just make a simple statement or a more in depth explanation.  However as I sat down it came to me...

The Dam Thing Started Right Up!  It Really Runs Smooth and Sounds Strong Too!  Time for a Test Ride...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 09/10/07 at 13:14:12

Sounds to me that you sat down in the wrong place!

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 09/11/07 at 04:50:46

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Sounds to me that you sat down in the wrong place!

I realized that after I wrote...

So I went down to the garage, took my spouse's tag off her bike, and went for a good spin...

That cam really does boost the bottom and mid range.  I really can't even tell that I did the chain conversion and lowered the ratio.  Throttle response is much improved.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #42 - 09/11/07 at 07:43:28

Quote:

That cam really does boost the bottom and mid range.  I really can't even tell that I did the chain conversion and lowered the ratio.  Throttle response is much improved.

Oh yea, I am hearing music just floating through the air...makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside .....   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 09/11/07 at 08:44:27

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Oh yea, I am hearing music just floating through the air...makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside .....   Grin

I haven't had enough time riding it to decide just how much was contributed by each of the changes made.

The Web Cam is obvious.  Throttle response is really crisp.  

But with the head polished and all that exhaust port metal removed...I'm definitely making better use of the Raask pipe, now (which I repacked last week).

It was impressive...Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #44 - 09/12/07 at 00:34:46

Glad to hear it's all coming together well, and that you are happy with the results so far. Three cheers to you getting a good long run out of your build!

What with the extent of all the mods you did, it's kind of too bad it would be impractical, and too expensive, to reassemble and dyno the bike about 14 different times to quantify which individual part(s); or combinations of changes contributed exactly which improvements.

You're still on the stock, but re-jetted, Mikuni aren't you?

You must be tempted to spend the bucks to get it dyno charted after a good break-in and final adjustments?

I'd just be itching to know what the charted curves would look like on it compared to the few others that have been posted. Mostly my curiosity about the porting...

Good work, and good luck with it!  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:11:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Shaft Porosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.