Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Cam Shaft Porosity
Reply #15 - 04/14/07 at 10:25:59

try some motorcycle spec syn oil in the beast - lord I'm trying to make yet another oil thread - oh yeah use 93 octane - there that should just about screw up any thread.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 04/14/07 at 10:29:06

You forgot to mention higher tire pressure and loctite....

I've been HIJACKED!!!!

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #17 - 04/14/07 at 20:42:26

YEAH, and a petc0ck conversion!  Greg, the problem with your cam is you haven't converted your petc0ck yet  Shocked

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/14/07 at 21:22:22

no, no... he need 93 octane   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 04/14/07 at 21:59:31

Gee...I disappeared for a couple hours to finish my tax returns and all of a sudden it's a feeding frenzy in here....

Or is this just a scene out of Shark Tales?

Grin

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #20 - 04/15/07 at 11:24:32

I worked on diesel (and gas) freight trucks for many years and have seen many camshafts that looked like that. I've seen them badly pitted, and with large depressions worn on them just before the lobe.The difference is it usually  took many hundreds of thousands of mile before they started looking like yours.We would consider them junk and replace them. We wouldn't have regrinds because they never seemed to last as long as an OEM cam would.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #21 - 04/15/07 at 15:13:35

Interesting that you left the thread unattended to do taxes..now its a double shafted thread. Grin

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #22 - 04/15/07 at 16:02:04

When I look at the pic I think galling too. Cams break in during the first 30 minutes of runtime so maybe Suzuki was a little too sparse on the break in lube. You need to coat a new cam's lobes with special moly break-in lube designed for that purpose.

I'll wait till the last minute to do my taxes ... as usual Grin They're due on the 17th at midnight.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 04/16/07 at 10:37:47

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
When I look at the pic I think galling too. Cams break in during the first 30 minutes of runtime so maybe Suzuki was a little too sparse on the break in lube. You need to coat a new cam's lobes with special moly break-in lube designed for that purpose.

I'll wait till the last minute to do my taxes ... as usual Grin They're due on the 17th at midnight.

I disagree, but oh well, I could be wrong too.  Never saw cam lobes like this before.  Gonna get Lancer's hard chrome regrind job this time.

As for lube, I used engine assembly grease when I first pulled the headcover, however, unless you wipe all the oil out of the head, there is always a little reservoir of oil under the cam lobes anyway.  They get lubed on the first rotation.

Yeah...I bought Turbo Tax on Friday.  Finished taxes on Saturday.  Just waiting for refunds now Tongue

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #24 - 04/16/07 at 13:11:42

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Oh, you don't know how I'd like to think that way.  Unfortunately those pits are on top of the lobe.  If you look at my signature line, it is the lobe pointing to the right.  So, it is actually under full pressure at that point Sad

I have come up with an idea since I reread your post about damage at full pressure. What about coil binding? I realize this supports the galling theory, and   prevails more  in recent rebuilds, but maybe your valve springs are  out of reserve. When you reassemble your motor (especially with a new cam) you can test for this. I don't know what Suzuki specs are, but NASCAR motor builders go with 0.100". Probably  0.050" is fine for our motors. You haven't changed your valve seats have you? Sometimes new valve seats raises the valve crown up and shortens the spring travel.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 04/17/07 at 00:03:37

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have come up with an idea since I reread your post about damage at full pressure. What about coil binding? I realize this supports the galling theory, and   prevails more  in recent rebuilds, but maybe your valve springs are  out of reserve. When you reassemble your motor (especially with a new cam) you can test for this. I don't know what Suzuki specs are, but NASCAR motor builders go with 0.100". Probably  0.050" is fine for our motors. You haven't changed your valve seats have you? Sometimes new valve seats raises the valve crown up and shortens the spring travel.

Well, no.  Haven't done any of that.  Everything is still stock.

This certainly is an interesting issue though and will get lots of scrutiny at reassembly time.

Thanks for more think...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 04/17/07 at 03:32:43

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yeah...I bought Turbo Tax on Friday.  Finished taxes on Saturday.  Just waiting for refunds now Tongue

Taxes ??  What taxes ?  Filed what ?   What is a refund ?

What is this strange language you are speaking?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #27 - 04/17/07 at 09:56:44

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Taxes ??  What taxes ?  Filed what ?   What is a refund ?

What is this strange language you are speaking?  

Go back to sleep and do not worry yourself about such things. Taxes are for a poor unfortunate section of socity that performs menial duties refered to as "work." To add insult to their punishment, they are then made to pay tribute money to the government for the privlege of working.

I'm not certain, but I think the whole scheme is a punishment for some past transgression(s) as it turns out that working is a lot like being in he!!.

I know this all too well, as I worked for very evil companies, and paid much tribute for many decades before deciding that I would rather freeze or starve than submit to further torment at the hands of the evil ones.

For now, at very high personal cost, I have escaped thier bonds. And now I run FREE like the wind on my faithful comanion vehicle "Ox" which was forged specifically to allow me to enjoy this thing called freedom!!! 8) 8)

NOTE: The above is not intended to insult anyone. It is parody. This information is for those who may not know what parody is... Here's a hint: It isn't a little green and yellow bird hanging in the pet shop window!  Grin Wink

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 04/17/07 at 18:37:24

Quote:
It isn't a little green and yellow bird hanging in the pet shop window!

I thought that was the length of the federal tax extension... ???

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 04/17/07 at 20:04:06

I too was once bound by the chains of THEM.  
I now fly under the ever-searching radar forging my own trail and breathing the free air of ... .... ..... whatever it was I just forgot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Shaft Porosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.