Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Cam Shaft Porosity
02/19/07 at 21:30:38

So how do your like you cam shaft lobes?

I thought that I'd take a photo of this while I have it out.  I saw this over 3 years ago when we lived in NC.  I had less than 10K on the bike then.

I put it back in to see what might happen (besides, we were going to a rally, anyway)

It really has not changed much.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Cam Shaft Porosity
Reply #1 - 02/20/07 at 05:30:15

Those are some pretty big pits, and a lot of them too.  
That may not harm anything in the immediate future but it will sure wear a heck of lot faster.

I was having difficulty seeing the lobe ... it looks to be off the side of the lob ... but is it on the up or down side of the lob?  The up side will get more wear I would think.

The closeup pic just came into focus.  That is some freaking poor metal work.
I need to pull mine and get a really good look to see how it is holding up.  Webcams, Inc did the regrind several years back but I only have put about 6-7k on it since.  They do offer a HARD WELD option but it costs about double of the standard cam regrind.

** As a note, it looks like I may be an authorized dealer for Webcam Inc this year, and if so then the price for a performance cam for the Savage can come down a significant amount.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 02/20/07 at 09:27:26

Looks to me like it is on the heel of the cam and if so, the valve spring pressure has dropped off at this point if the clearance is there so IMHO no reason for concern, unless the valve adjustment were to get tight. But I believe if that happened, the performance would be down to the point you would be looking into the reason. It the rocker should be floating on a good film of oil at that point. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/20/07 at 09:56:59

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Looks to me like it is on the heel of the cam and if so, the valve spring pressure has dropped off at this point if the clearance is there so IMHO no reason for concern, unless the valve adjustment were to get tight. But I believe if that happened, the performance would be down to the point you would be looking into the reason. It the rocker should be floating on a good film of oil at that point. Max

Oh, you don't know how I'd like to think that way.  Unfortunately those pits are on top of the lobe.  If you look at my signature line, it is the lobe pointing to the right.  So, it is actually under full pressure at that point Sad

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 02/20/07 at 11:39:12

What do your rocker arm pads look like? Are they pitted or flatspotted?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/20/07 at 13:32:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Oh, you don't know how I'd like to think that way.  Unfortunately those pits are on top of the lobe.  If you look at my signature line, it is the lobe pointing to the right.  So, it is actually under full pressure at that point Sad

Ooooo, not good dude.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 02/20/07 at 14:13:08

That build quality is certainly lacking!  Is that the stock cam that came from Suzuki?!?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/20/07 at 14:21:58

Whart part of the cam profile is that? Is it like that in the lift area?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/20/07 at 15:35:23

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What do your rocker arm pads look like? Are they pitted or flatspotted?  

Written earlier...
Nope.  They look just fine.  Like I said, I noticed this a few K miles ago.  I had just about forgotten it until I pulled the cam last night.  It has grown only a little bit since then.

But you made me realize that I really didn't look too closely... Tongue

Well, now, I'll change my story a bit.  There is some rocker wear.  I just didn't really notice it.  I was mainly looking at the cam.

It isn't really a flat spot.  There is a contact area of wear, and the beginning and end appear to have a small groove.  You can feel it with your fingernail.  

And guess what...I can't seem to find any specs on the rocker pads in the SSM.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/20/07 at 15:37:22

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Ooooo, not good dude.

I think I'll have to check your WebCam idea.  Stay tuned Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/20/07 at 15:42:36

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That build quality is certainly lacking!  Is that the stock cam that came from Suzuki?!?

Neat eh?  Yep.  It's stock with 14K on it.

I posted it because I have never seen that on any cam.  I've seen porosity in other stock metals, but I'm really surprised with this.  I'm surprised that it made it from the grinder to QA before the engine was built.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 02/20/07 at 15:45:35

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Whart part of the cam profile is that? Is it like that in the lift area?

Yep.  On the top of the lobe.  It really hasn't changed much in 5K or so miles too.

I suppose that I could look at it like any area to hold a little extra oil lube Smiley

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/13/07 at 12:10:44

Just cruising the forum and came across this, I used to work in a machine shop that rebuilt engines, including custom cam grinding...that cam in the pic is totally shot.
That isnt porousity, it's galling. As for the rocker pads, you may be able to get them touched up, but only at a machine shop.

The cause of the cam failure is usually lack of oil,(or to thin oil) and extreme heat.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/13/07 at 12:12:15

...forgot, most important, too tight valve clearance.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/14/07 at 09:13:29

Good input...

I did machine work for over 12 years, so I've seem galling.  I've done turning, grinding, etc. but admittedly it wasn't automotive.

Anyway, I thought that too at first.  And as much as I'd like to think that QA at Suzuki would catch such stuff, I really do think it is porosity.

Reasons are...

- I am a stickler about valve clearances.  Range is .003 -.005".  I always shoot for .004-.005" and always double check.

- Oil levels, qualities, and quantities have never been neglected or overlooked.  If nothing else, I'm one of the few that trusts Suzuki blends (THAT'S GOTTA BE IT!)

- The rocker arms have wear and flats, but no where can I find the obvious result of galling which usually means the transfer of metal material from one piece to the other.

- those are definitely pits in the cam shaft material.  Interestingly, it is on both lobes too.  Which in my thinking (warped as it is) is basically the same radial distance from center.  I think the stock camshaft material was bad.  It went to grinding, came shooting out of the CNC, got missed in inspection and ended up in my scoot.

(In my last job, QA had limits on "allowable" porosity in some of our cast materials...)

But, just on the possibility you suggest, I'll use the looser .005" adjustment when I get the new cam....especially for the bucks I'm gonna invest in it.

Thanks for your counter-point...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Shaft Porosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.