Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
my savage thread (Read 7 times)
amcline
Ex Member

my savage thread
02/10/07 at 03:18:33

edited as of now the savage is mine and the rebel is my wifes... also i have posted a link to our website for pics of our bikes and projects...
http://xdreamz.sslpowered.com/pictures/bike/bike.htm

hey all, we got my wife a 96 svage, we changed the pipe and noticed somone already did the carb mod, but they must have removed the whole spacer, now it runs like crap no matter the low speed setting, we want to buy an aftermarket carb but would be easier if somone has a spacer and could show a pic of where exactly it goes, that way we could atleast ride it a bit till we get the carb...
the new carb will be preset and fully tune-able for about 225 with filter...
Matt Cline

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: stock carb help
Reply #1 - 02/10/07 at 05:17:44

You can use a nylon washer from any hardware store in place of the spacer.  In fact, many on this site got rid of the spacer and went to 1 or 2 nylon washers.  Most think the spacer is too thick anyway.  When you get this one tuned right, you might just decide to save the $240  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 02/10/07 at 05:19:45

Do a search on "white spacer" for more info.  The washer is a #4...hope this helps.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 02/10/07 at 07:02:46

where are you at? carb adjustments have a ball park tuning, then a dial in tuning, depending on your specific engine mods, lacale, etc. you can use the search function and get alot if info, read some signature lines and see what a few of us ended up with, and in the tech section you'll find a very good tuning write up. if you list the specifics on your bike, we can help you dial it in. i personally HATE the stock cv style carb. i had ours pretty well dialed in, when the motor popped! but i was looking for a non-cv type replacement carb for it. lancer is the carb master in this matter, and sells a "ready to install" kit, which is a true solution.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/10/07 at 07:14:25

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 02/10/07 at 07:19:52

Actually, I need soem stock carb help too...

Where is mine?  And all of my jets and needles?  I lst saw it right ebfore christmas, right before I went o to massachusetts.  I was gonna take it home to help pops, but I couldn't fit it into my bag.

The spacer is part 6 in the microfiche greg psoted.  I htink #3 or #4 washers will work as well.

IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/07 at 10:04:14

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

ok so the spacer were dealing with is part #6 in this breakdown right?
thats what i needed because i only dis-assembled it to clean and re-installed, the only engine mods i know of is the pipe we did, pulled off the stock can and put the red cherry bomb on it with a tab bent into the flow to add backpressure. anyone know the exact measurement of the stock spacer? i have a mocrometer i can use to file somthing to fit about half that measurement.

IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/07 at 10:37:30

i want to double check somthing, when i can ture the setscrew all the way closed on the #41 (right side of bike/carb) and it still runs that means either the carb is gunked up and leaking to run, or the midrange needle is not seating to where its saposed to.

correct?
i need to just pull it out and go thru it again, maybe i just didnt go as far as i should have when doing the tune up.
which now my plug is fouling so i need another one too. lol
the joys of tinkering!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 02/10/07 at 13:20:29

Not 100% sure, but If the needle isn't seatting properly or at all, it cold easily mimmick having the throttle open a bit (i.e. the slide would be up but hte throttle plate (butterfly) closed).

How long is the chery bomb?  what kind of air intake?

IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/10/07 at 16:09:32

cherry bomb is 22.5" long 1 7/8" in 1.75" out
intake is stock with new filter.

i have the carb out now pulled totally apart all but the top the screws are froze in, i broke 3 phillips bits trying no luck, so i guess ill just clean it out good and re-install, maybe that will get it but im not seeing anything majorly wrong,
so i may grind in a flat slot to break those 4 screws loose, (well i got one out) and check for the spacer but i have an idea now since i didnt remove that cap before that since their so froze in maybe no on did remove the spacer, and i just got some gunk in the carb. it ran like hell last night, so i gotta do somthin, just not ready to buy the mikuni carb yet...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/10/07 at 17:05:12

We've all had problems with these screws.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

and the consenses is replace them.  and I say add a little anti-seize when you put em back in.

WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 02/10/07 at 18:54:36

The screws are very soft and strip easily. Use pointy needle nose vice grips and replace them with stainless steel allen heads. You can order the white spacer from the dealer.

IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/10/07 at 20:05:00

ok well i pulled the intake box out too to check the look of it without it, well 2 things, where can i get a nice clean sheet metal battery box, and why would there be a pint of raw gas in the air filters box,,, on the carb side.
is it loading up that friggin bad or did i just have the fuel valve in the wrong position overnight...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 02/10/07 at 20:23:26

check your petc0ck vacuum line... any gas in it?
The diaphram does go bad.  if so, it can cause rich running, or flooding.
It can be disassembled to check it.
Otherwise, check your carb float and needle valve.
Or you did you leave it on prime?

WWW   IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/10/07 at 20:26:27

yep i did,,, i remember switching from pri to on when i pulled the tank earlier.. o well.
hey, what MM filter do i get i measured it at 2.25" i wanna leav off the filter box on re-assemblie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:26:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my savage thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.