Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedo Drive Cable Removal (Read 1 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Speedo Drive Cable Removal
02/06/07 at 17:40:26

Hey all!

As some of you may know, my speedo doesn't work as the drive pin that goes into the crank case sheared off, and I see no point in fixing it.  SOOOOOOOOOOO.... the 25 cent question is:

Does anyone know where I can get an M16x1.5 acron/cap nut?

Okay, how do I know it's an M16x1.5?  Took the cable into ACE, tried to thread bolts in there until I found one that fit.  The M16x2.0 fit , but would not thread in.  So it's M16x??, BUT there is, as far as I can tell, only on other pitch, 1.5.

My plan is to replace the cable with the acorn nut so oil doesn't leak out, but no one local carries these pitches.  ACE has M16x2.0, but that does not work.  So far, my google searches have ended in failure.  I can find the M16x2.0, but not other pitches.

Plan b is to find a regular M16x1.5 hex nut and weld a cover on there, but this is still an internet option...

Thanks,

V

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Speedo Drive Cable Removal
Reply #1 - 02/06/07 at 18:41:02

Are you planning to keep the old cable assembly? I f not I would chop off the end that closest to the bottom nut that screw into the trans box and reuse that nut with a homemade seal (bike inner tube or similar flexible material) that would cover up the opening.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/06/07 at 19:32:18

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hey all!

As some of you may know, my speedo doesn't work as the drive pin that goes into the crank case sheared off, and I see no point in fixing it.  SOOOOOOOOOOO.... the 25 cent question is:

Does anyone know where I can get an M16x1.5 acron/cap nut?

Okay, how do I know it's an M16x1.5?  Took the cable into ACE, tried to thread bolts in there until I found one that fit.  The M16x2.0 fit , but would not thread in.  So it's M16x??, BUT there is, as far as I can tell, only on other pitch, 1.5.

My plan is to replace the cable with the acorn nut so oil doesn't leak out, but no one local carries these pitches.  ACE has M16x2.0, but that does not work.  So far, my google searches have ended in failure.  I can find the M16x2.0, but not other pitches.

Plan b is to find a regular M16x1.5 hex nut and weld a cover on there, but this is still an internet option...

Thanks,

V

well if you have a good shield, seal and such I have a used cable hanging around the garage not doing anything - want it?

$4.05 postage

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/06/07 at 20:34:39

The good part is that now you can remove your speedo and you have a great beer can holder Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/07 at 02:11:39

If yoiu don't want the speedo, why not cut the cable housing ^ steal the threaded part that screws on the case from it & put a plastic piece cut to fit inside it? It will blank off the openning just as well as it held the cable housing up there. You can stick a piece of aluminum or tin in it.Used th O-ring & it won't leak.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 02/07/07 at 08:01:41

For some reason I don't want to mangle the cable housing...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 10:25:03

want the cable?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 02/07/07 at 14:14:14

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
For some reason I don't want to mangle the cable housing...

dont blame ya im a toe in the water b4 i jump in type...
get an old cable and some epoxy/jb weld clip the nut off the end you need..see reelthings post^^

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 02/07/07 at 15:18:20

maybe I will take it...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home