Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Beat up fuel tank...Help (Read 12 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Beat up fuel tank...Help
02/01/07 at 09:51:30

Okay, I know a couple of threads had been started about tank dent removal before. But I really need some help here. Can anyone tell me how I could possibly remove these dents? This is how the tank was when I bought the bike. I really would like to get these dents out. I don't mind having to repaint, am going to do that anyhow.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Beat up fuel tank...Help
Reply #1 - 02/01/07 at 10:21:36

Lesson to all.  Always use the pillion for 2-up riding.  Those dents look like butt-cheeks to me.

I'm no help really, I would probably be looking for a salvage tank.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/07 at 10:41:09

Steveh is partin one out. That's a seriously dented tank. Fixin it will take quite a bit O work. KNowing how isn't just a given. Bondo isn't everybodies "cup O tea". Sandpaper has gotten expensive. I'll bet by the time you figure the time involved & the tools & consumables,( bondo, sandpaper, paint thinner to clean bondo board & putty knife, rags) you would come out ahead if you could land a decent deal on a tank. Oh yea, a 4 pound "KNocker" dent puller or a lighter on, from anwhere. Cheap & junky would get ya thru that project. By drilling 1/8th holes in the dent & screwing the dent puller into it,they have 1/8th sheetmetal screws on the tip, & then sliding the hammer part up the shaft to the handle it hammers the dent out. Then, there is a ridge created by the dent that must be tapped down gently. The ridge will be found all the way around the dent. So, you need a bodyhammer. A light hammer with a wide face, not quite flat. Use it gently, several small light taps in place of one heavy slap. If you find that you MUst repair this tank, I will call you & do all I can to talk ya thru it, if you would like,,

Man, that really looks like someone got mad & PUNCHed the tank..

IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

On the road soon, I hope.
Reply #3 - 02/01/07 at 10:45:13

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lesson to all.  Always use the pillion for 2-up riding.  Those dents look like butt-cheeks to me.

yeah, and what's that funny smear in between the dents?  Shocked  somebody made 2-up riding a lot more fun!!

i'm no expert, but it looks creased and it would probably be a pain in the @$$ to fix that.

ditto on the salvage tank.  good luck.

Black 2006 Savage40, no mods... yet.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/07 at 11:02:52

Just so you don't think fixing it will be a piece O cake. I'll tell ya now the bondo on the last couple O passes will cover in front of the seat all the way across & most of the sides & will go to the filler neck & possibly part way around. IF you go for it & win, thats all good. But unless you have some experience or someone who you can ask for hands on help, I would recommend ya spend the $$$ not on tools & bondo, but on a tank. BUt, my offer stands, if you decide to give it a go I will do what I can to help. I was a body man for 3 years & have straightened some seriously bent stuff.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 02/01/07 at 12:36:26

I'm in the proccess of adapting a five gallon Harley tank to my savage. It came with a dent in the left side where it had been laid down into a post or some such thing. Either that or it was hit with an 85 mph baseball. At any rate what I did, since it is going to be powdercoated along with the rest of the metalwork, was to drill a few small holes in the tank's dent, screw in a 3/4 in sheetrock screw and then use a claw hammer to pull the dent out a little at a time. Once the dent was close to rounded back to it's original shape, again since it's going to be powdercoated, I used a product called JB Weld to fill it in. Not only does that stuff stick to anything, can be drilled, sanded, is not bothered by gasoline and just about anything else you can think of, it also is about all there is out there that'll stand up to the 400+ degrees of the powdercoat proccess. The small holes in the dent give me the added comfort of giving the weld a better grip as well.

I then just sanded down the tank to shape the curve as best I could, starting with 40 grit and then smoothing out with 100. I was also filling in the left hole where the Harley folks put their gas gauge since I didn't want to pay the big gucks for a dummy cap to go there (or the much bigger bucks for the gauge). I made a metal disk to fit in that hole about a half inch from the top and held it in place with three longer screws into the gauge mount in there. Then I just filled the hole to above the top with more of the JB Weld. My only problem was that I tried filling the side dent and the top hole at the same time. The JB Weld takes several hours to set and wants to sag a bit on it's surface. So you have to do a couple of applications to build up the thickness you need. When I get the tank back I challenge anyone to find the dent or the left tank hole, and this is my first attempt at body work of this nature.

Oh, and by the way, the tank looks mighty fine on the bike. When everything gets back to me from the coating there will be pix if anyone's interested. It's a pretty easy mod, except for figuring out what to do with that little solenoid that opens the valves a tich during starting. Earlier here I was told that I could do it manually and I think that's the route I'm going. Everything else just gets a little re-routing and will be just fine.

IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #6 - 02/01/07 at 12:51:20

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'm in the proccess of adapting a five gallon Harley tank to my savage.

5 gallons... man, that's what i'm talkin about.  200 miles before you even have to think about filling up.  that'll get you halfway across texas in one shot.

i would definitely like to see the pics!

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #7 - 02/01/07 at 13:07:53

Texas? Not the Texas I drove through. Maybe on I-40. It was 890mi the way I went (I-10). I thought the paint would fade before I saw New Mexico.

WWW   IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #8 - 02/01/07 at 14:18:19

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Texas? Not the Texas I drove through. Maybe on I-40. It was 890mi the way I went (I-10). I thought the paint would fade before I saw New Mexico.

LOL... yeah, it's pretty friggin huge.  i was actually thinking about I-20.

ok, just looked at a map... i retract that previous statement of halfway.

that'll get you a quarter of the way across texas!!

WWW   IP Logged
scooter_07
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/01/07 at 16:24:26

Bondo is one of those products that's so good, it gets misused alot.  Says on the can it's not for dents more than 1/4 inch deep, but that doesn't stop alotta people from building entire fenders with it.   Shocked

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/01/07 at 16:45:55

EntropyofMe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
 that'll get you halfway across texas in one shot.

Chuckle...Yeah right!
Cheesy

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 02/01/07 at 18:04:49

No suggestion on the dents but I have a black one with a dent and a good scratch of much smaller size I would sell cheap if you want another one to work with.

Drop me a note at P.martinson2@att.net if you are interested.

Paul

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 02/01/07 at 19:28:06

Sent you an e-mail about that tank smokin_blue.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 02/01/07 at 20:16:01

If I were you I'd get a replacement tank.

Then, fix the old tank, while enlarging it thusly:

Photochopped to slice the tank horizonally.  (With the top half of the tank lifted, pounding out your dents would be next to nothing.)  Add a 2 to 3 inch tall band of steel and silver-solder or braze back together.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 02/01/07 at 21:30:15

Butt cheeks or knees, I think that you'll be better off getting a used tank and fixing that one....

Either way, it had to hurt whoever did that.  Ouch.

What else need fixin'?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:39:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beat up fuel tank...Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.