Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let's be Frank about extended Forks... (Read 120 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Let's be Frank about extended Forks...
01/23/07 at 16:41:19

I've looked at the available "chopper kits" for the Savage, and they cost more than I paid for my old '87 to start with. That is just too much money to me. So I continue seeking alternatives.

Then I recalled the name of the old shop that used to do forks for chopper guys clear back in the 1970s. "Forking by Frank" or just "Frank's" as most called it. And sure enough they are still around and have a web page:

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

So... since there is no online info, other than contacting them directly, here is what I found out with a phone call:
They will do Savage forks, and even have them in stock. They no longer do really long stretched fork tubes due to issues with the strength of thin walled fork tubes. In fact, they will usually only do 2 inches over on most heavy bikes, but since the Savage is so lightweight, they will go up to 4 inches over stock.

Good news: the price is a very reasonable $215 for a pair of 4" over tubes, which includes everything needed to use your old parts. (IOW a spring spacer so you can use your original springs). But of course an extended brake line that isn't included is needed. Luckily, someone has already put an over length stainless steel brake line on my old 1987.

Bad news: I've done some calculations, and the 4 inches I'd like to add takes the trail geometry out a little farther than what is considered optimal. I've already bought a rear tire that is about one inch taller than stock. It will raise the rear axle by about 1/2 inch. But it would be best to raise the rear another 1-1/2" to get the trail back in line, and also I wouldn't mind having the ground clearance anyways.

So far, about the only option I've found for longer (and hopefully longer travel) rear shocks, is expensive Progressive brand shocks. If anyone here could show me where to get a more reasonably priced pair of tall shocks to fit the Savage; or even some air adjustable shocks I would be eternally grateful (ok, maybe not eternally, but I'd at least say thanks)!

Update: I've found where new 12-1/2 inch Showa shocks, like some of the old British and Japanese bikes used, are available. MUCH cheaper than Progressive. The seller says the shocks are suitable for "heavyweight" bikes and they look like a fit, but a little more skinny than the stock or Progressive springs. Also, I don' know what size mounting hole through the shock's bushing is needed. Can anyone tell me what size dia. the shock bolts (studs) are on the Savage?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Let's be Frank about extended Forks...
Reply #1 - 01/23/07 at 18:36:29

Do you know the spring rate on the shocks you are considering? you've got to careful or you'll end up struts that don't move at all because of the weight of this bike.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 01/23/07 at 20:33:07

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Do you know the spring rate on the shocks you are considering? you've got to careful or you'll end up struts that don't move at all because of the weight of this bike.

Nope, no specs at all on spring rate nor damping. Tech info on Showa suspension parts are in short supply from the many sources I've tried to search so far.

As for them ending up stiff like struts, I suppose that is possible, but hard to imagine with the bike having 250+ of sprung weight + about the same for me. Those gonna have to be some pretty stout springs to not give any, and they do have stepped preload adjustment. Also, the seller warns that they are not "touring" shocks, so I take that to mean that they aren't intended to haul 800+ pound loads Wink

FWIW, I keep the stock shock's springs on the top preload setting, and the handling feels the best to me compared to  the softer settings, which I have a tendancy to easily bottom out.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/23/07 at 22:10:04

I have suzuki intruder 800 shocks on mine, 2" longer, more travel, bolt on, very comfy.    
Warning!  If you put taller shocks on the rear, trim the front of the belt guard, top and bottom, to avoid rubbing and your reserve gas level may change depending on the front changes you make.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 01/24/07 at 05:12:16

To answer your question the studs are 14mm on my '97.  I checked my gs550 parts bin bike and those have  12.5 in long shocks but the studs are 12mm.  The length of 12.5 is standard for most GS's but I don't know if the bigger ones had bigger eye sizes.  Progressive has a pretty good fitment chart if I remember right that can tell you alot about other bikes.

I like the sounds of the intruder shocks..If they would work you should be able to snag a set off ebay cheap.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 01/24/07 at 06:07:10

Much appreciated on the rear shock mounting quesiton folks. Between you, you've armed me with the info I need to maybe save some money as opportunity comes along.

I think I'd rather have Intruder shocks too rather than the Showa brand I was looking at. They were kind of skinny and reminded me of shocks from old Japanese dirt bikes, for which they were probably very good. But from the pictures, they just didn't look quite right for a crusier. No caps over the ends of the springs, so they look like they're all spring.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 01/24/07 at 07:38:33

Here is yet another question on shocks: Am I right in assuming that the stock units don't come apart? The reason I ask: I've found a pair of Intruder 800 shocks that have rusty chrome covers on them, and they would sure look better with the nice chrome covers off my Savage's shocks; rather than having to paint black over the rusty parts.

Even if I can't get the good chrome covers onto them, I might be tempted to buy them if they're cheap enough. At least I could paint them and see if they get me where I'm wanting to go with the rear suspension. Pretty shiny ones will come around eventually I'm sure, or I might just break down and spend the money for the $$$ Progressive.

Oh... and don't worry about me getting hurt working on shocks / springs. I've worked on all kinds of suspensions before and know to beware of spring and/or gas pre-loading. (Mentioned it here partly as a warning / reminder to others to be careful!)

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 01/24/07 at 09:39:42

everything comes apart....it is just a matter of how and if it is then capable of going back together again!! Grin Grin

I will try to take a look at mine but I don't know.  If it is just the chrome covers you might be able to relieve the spring pressure and slip out a retaining disk and drop the cover spring and the works out.  That is the way my GSXR1100 shock comes apart.  (but that one is rebuildable also)

WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/24/07 at 10:52:38

I put Sportster shocks on the back of my 87.. They are 11.5 in.  long and they raised the rear 1 1/2 in.....   I had to press out the old mounts and install them into  the Harley shocks.......   Bought at a swap meet for $10

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 01/24/07 at 13:01:28

For a pretty long time I was running a complete Vulcan 800 front end. It started like an idea to have 21" fr. wheel and after that looking at the changes I had to do  either way I went, I decided it is cheaper and easier to go with a complete fr. end. The thing was that I was using my Savage like a loaner bike also and somebody crashed it. Yesterday I installed back the original fr. end.
Definitely I like the Vulcan's better.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 01/24/07 at 15:18:18

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
For a pretty long time I was running a complete Vulcan 800 front end. It started like an idea to have 21" fr. wheel and after that looking at the changes I had to do  either way I went, I decided it is cheaper and easier to go with a complete fr. end. The thing was that I was using my Savage like a loaner bike also and somebody crashed it. Yesterday I installed back the original fr. end.
Definitely I like the Vulcan's better.

Good idea maybe. You used the Vulcan trees, steering stem and all? Or just the fork tubes and below? How much overall did it raise the front? (Obviously at least an inch for the difference in wheels, unless the fork tubes were actually shorter than the Savage.)

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 01/24/07 at 15:50:46

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
everything comes apart....it is just a matter of how and if it is then capable of going back together again!! Grin Grin

I will try to take a look at mine but I don't know.  If it is just the chrome covers you might be able to relieve the spring pressure and slip out a retaining disk and drop the cover spring and the works out.  That is the way my GSXR1100 shock comes apart.  (but that one is rebuildable also)

My Clymers has indicated that the stock shocks are non-serviceable, meaning they are not designed to be rebuilt. You may get them apart but after that all bets are off.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 01/24/07 at 17:20:57

About running VN800 fr end- I went with a complete assy. The only thing that needed to be done was to peplace the stem of the lower tripple tree of the VN with the one from the LS. May be the best idea is to get a lower tree from e-bay, just in case if You decide to go back to the original. The other thing was- I installed  some semi-"ape hangers", so I had to use the Savage raisers, because the VN's are cheaper made andd they suck. If You want to stick with the VN bars- no problem. You can use them with the LS switches , because they are the same 1" size. About the diff in the height- I never measured it. I changed the handlebars and it felt higher. I just liked it more. The only flaw in the design was that at high speeds I felt the wind resistance significantly more, but this was a result of the bars, not of the fr. end.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 01/25/07 at 09:27:25

Thanks for the info on the VN front end Slavy. I'm filing it away for possible later use.

IP Logged
coolguynice
YaBB Newbies

Perth, Australia
Reply #14 - 08/23/21 at 00:22:49

Rockin John, I know it's been nearly fifteen years, but would you have a photo laying around of a savage with extended forks? I saw that you had posted a photo years back on another thread but it doesn't show the image. I'm thinking of doing this to mine.

Many thanks!

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 21:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Let's be Frank about extended Forks...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.