Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shaving down the head (Read 20 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Shaving down the head
01/12/07 at 16:55:41

hey all,

If you shave a little bit of metal off of the head where it seals to the cylinder, you can raise the compression ratio.

I remember doing some calculations on HC pistons and cylinder volumes, but I couldn't find that post.  Anyway, if one were to shave 0.1" off of the head (not necessarily a good idea, but maybe 1/2 as much?) the compression ratio would increase to about 10.2:1 (compared to stock ~8.5).

To do this... take off the head.  get some grinding compound (e.g.  alumina dust), and some oil, as well as a large piece of flat glass.  Run the head around on there in figure 8s until you have removed as much material as you want.

All that being said (typed), I have not done this.  It was suggested to me by a gear head friend of mine.  keep in mind he wants to split the case and balance my flywheel, too...

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Shaving down the head
Reply #1 - 01/12/07 at 17:27:17

I did exactly that to get the warp out of my 65' 10hp wheelhorse tractor. holy*&%$#@ after that it flies. on hills where it used to bog down i go 1/2 throttle now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/12/07 at 17:28:32

In this post, there is a link,

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

In that article, an 80+ page pdf file, will be a section on shaving the head/getting more compression. According to that fellow, it gets quite a bit more complicated than just tightenning up the squeeze on the air & geiing more BANG outta the power stroke. But, if I was just the least bit more determined to get more outta the engine, that's where I would go to look for it. He said clean up the intake port, the exhaust, n ot as important. Eliminate steps between flanges & ports. Can't get the exhaust too straight cuz the ex valve spring pocket encroaches in the top of the port.

Have fun.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 01/12/07 at 17:30:57

... and I just had a thought on why this might not be the best idea, besides messing with the engine...

you will lower the very top of the engine.  where the top engine mounts live.  now you need top make a new bracket to fix the engine to the top of the frame.  at least w/ a 0.100" drop... if you just went down 0.005" it'd prolly be okay...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/07 at 18:20:01

If a guy has the savvy to get the thing apart, mod it, & put it together, getting some slack to line the hoes up won't stip him. Aww, heck, I would gpo back & fix rthat but Im pooped,, lol

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 01/12/07 at 18:58:34

One of the reasons I've heard not to try shaving the head is that you will change the cam timing. I've even posted that reason a few times. You shorten the distance between the cam and crank by whatever thickness is shaved off the head which makes the cam chain longer which will change the cam timing. While reading this thread I suddenly realized that it might not be that much of a problem, after all when the cam chain gets older it will streach some and become longer which is the same effect on the chain as shaving the head. Since a higher milage savage still runs well with some streach in the chain isn't possible that the little bit of cam timing change caused by a shaved head would be a non-issue? Just a thought on it all, maybe I'm nuts but a shaved head might work after all.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/12/07 at 23:05:26

The article by Tumi points oout the change in cam timing from shaving the head. He says it is retarded & that is good because it somehow allows the cylinder to fill better. IF I read it andIF I remember it as he intended. If I was messing with my engine at that level I would certainly read it agagin & most likely ask a few folks, too. I am not so sharp as to be able to see exactly WHy retarding the cam would allow a better charge. From where I'm sitting, the cam duration hasn't changed so the time the valve is open stays the same. NOW, what I can see is the piston has dropped further before it opens & may create a bigger vacuum & cause a strong rush of incomming air/fuel charge that will continue to pack itself into cylinder even after the piston starts back up. Since I don't know where the piston is when the valves operate I can't even hazard a guess at to how the cam timing will affect the running. The most comforting thought is provided by Ed, using common sense, noting the caM timing retards naturally & the bike runs & runs & runs.

Me? I just want one spare engine.& a few extra hundred $$$ , owell,, I've never had anything like this bike. It's fun to mess with. It's fun to ride. It has me associated with a bunch O folks who enjoy the same things, Dang folks, it's just good all around..

BTW, just started raining & it sounds GREAT!

Whatever you choose VRoom, I've done all I know for ya, that's give ya the link to that article. I know it's long, but there's a ton O stuff in there.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 01/12/07 at 23:51:26

How come nobody ever mentions the possibility of a high compression piston in these discussions of raising compression ratio? I know that Wiseco doesn't make one, and probably no other aftermarket performance parts maker currently makes one. But by some experimenting with modeling clay wouldn't a one-off be possible? Maybe by using another near sized piston as a starting point?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 01/13/07 at 04:36:34

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
How come nobody ever mentions the possibility of a high compression piston in these discussions of raising compression ratio? I know that Wiseco doesn't make one, and probably no other aftermarket performance parts maker currently makes one. But by some experimenting with modeling clay wouldn't a one-off be possible? Maybe by using another near sized piston as a starting point?

I've been wondering if a 94mm high compression VW piston would work.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 01/13/07 at 05:43:45

Does it fit the connecting rod/wrist pin perfectly?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 01/13/07 at 05:46:38

Don't know, it was just an idea I thought of when I found out that the Savage piston was 94mm. I have never had the opertunity to see the Savage piston and a VW piston side by side.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 01/13/07 at 06:18:22

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
How come nobody ever mentions the possibility of a high compression piston in these discussions of raising compression ratio? I know that Wiseco doesn't make one....

Well, there was a discussion a while back about Wiseco perhaps makeing a custom run for these bikes - I can not remember what the minimum number was - perhaps 50. If enough folks were interested - honestly interested seemed like a possible thing to do. I'd give a couple 95/96mm 9.5-10:1 a go

here it is:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 01/13/07 at 07:35:43

yeah, I've been thinking about other things that could go wrong.  It had not occured to me about the slack in hte cam chain...  a large shave would be 0.1", as I suggested, effectiely lengthening the cam chain by 0.2", or 0.2"*25.4mm/inch = 5.8 mm.  

Too much.  Another issue I thought up:  I don't want my piston to hit my valves.  Depends on timing...  and how much you shave off...

as implied above, there are no after market HC pistons presently available...

I read that article a year ago, and forgot most of it...  Tongue

At any rate, I'm just trying to figure out CHEAP performance mods....

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 01/13/07 at 17:04:40

I'm with you on a cheap performance mod, I'd think about a small head shave to get the compression around 9.5 to one along with a new cam chain. Don't know enough to do the math but it wouldn't be much of a shave. If you clean up the exaust port in the head, nothing major, just get rid of the angles and ridges to help the flow along with the shave I bet you could see a horse power or two overall. The only drawback would be swaping out the timing chain more often to compensate for the shorter distance between the cam and crank and chain streach. In theory it should work, gotta put some more miles on my '02 so it needs a "overhaul" Grin  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 01/13/07 at 20:06:50

If you're gonna replace the piston, replacing the connecting rod or machining the current one to ensure it fits wouldn't be that big a deal.  Any local machine shop should be able to handle the job.  If you got a VW or Camry aftermarket piston, you'd want to take careful measurements to be sure.  The last thing you want is an untimely (pun intended, you know it's about valve timing) contact between valve and piston.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shaving down the head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.