Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Another dumb newbie question... (Read 15 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Another dumb newbie question...
Reply #30 - 01/11/07 at 21:38:04

*I accept that as a wise decision. I agree. In the future I will  do just that. The thing was with me, my shoulders were injured & I just rode the thing. Yep, Thousands O miles. Well,, maybe 1,500 or so, I am not sure. BUT, a prudent motorcycle operator would repair the tire. I should have had it done . Cheap & penny pinching & tires shouldn't be in the same sentence.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #31 - 01/12/07 at 05:35:54

Does anyone here have personal experience with Slime?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 01/12/07 at 07:41:29

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
*I accept that as a wise decision. I agree. In the future I will  do just that. The thing was with me, my shoulders were injured & I just rode the thing. Yep, Thousands O miles. Well,, maybe 1,500 or so, I am not sure. BUT, a prudent motorcycle operator would repair the tire. I should have had it done . Cheap & penny pinching & tires shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Hey, got bad shoulders too.  I understand Sad

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 01/12/07 at 07:43:05

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Does anyone here have personal experience with Slime?

No, I don't.  Of course, I'm an old fart, so I seldom try something new and prefer to stick with what I know.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 01/12/07 at 08:46:51

I slimed a trailer tire oin one O those little things that go behind a riding lawnmower. It's still stock so it's never seen 10 mph.. & never had over 300 pounds on it for long. I use it to haul firewood around since that's the only heat we have for the house. No problem tho, the slime is holding fine. It's a tubeless. I plan on sliming the bike before it gets any punctures.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 01/13/07 at 09:57:20

Oh yeah, getting back to the original question about the tool kit....

I thought of this when working with the seat on my bike yesterday....which has to be removed quite often for minor things.

Anyway, a few years ago at a bike rally, I remember trying to help another Savage rider remove a seat.  The rider had saddle bags installed and only the original toolkit.  

One thing that we found was that it is darn near impossible to remove the stock 10 MM hex head bolts for the seat if you are using the 10 MM open end wrench that comes in the toolkit, IF you also have saddle bags installed....an unintended consequence of adding goodies.

I couldn't help this person either because my toolkit contained allen wrenches since I had changed a majority of my bolts to allen heads.  As it turned out, we found a biker with some sockets....

So to sum it up, for this "not so dumb" question, don't just get a toolkit, but make it a better toolkit.  Look at your bike and think of tools that would make roadside work easier, too.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 01/13/07 at 10:30:07

I usually carry more for longer trips but for everyday stuff I carry a CruzTools Outback'r M14 (image below) and an original Leatherman tool (25 years old and good as new, not available anymore).  I also carry the sparkplug tool I mentioned earlier.  For a regular pocket knife, I carry a Leatherman Micra.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #37 - 01/13/07 at 10:37:15

I had a flat from a roofing nail in rear tire. Greg is right. A strange feeling trying to corner. I HAD to ride it as I was in the middle of nowhere. Was about on top of the tank trying to keep the weight off the rear. Got to a gas station, bought some FAF. Did absolutely nothing. Needless to say, that ride wasn't that enjoyable. Carry FAF if you want to, but don't expect a whole lot. Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 01/13/07 at 15:40:20

I wonder if the tube shifting arooound with that nail poked in it ripped the tube up so bad the FAF couldn't save it? I dunno what poked mine, It was just a flat one morning, so I didn't ride it flat. That's pretty hard on stuff. I have heard that some tubes are rubber, others pvc & they tear & won't fix w/ FAF.
Obviously, this is a situation where" Your mileage May Vary"//

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #39 - 01/13/07 at 18:04:39

The Outback'r would make a good addition, I'll have to look into that! When I started this thread, I was mostly wondering what essentials I could get in the locking confines of the original compartment. A front fork bag makes sense when you're with your bike all day, but what about when you leave it in a parking lot to go to work? Unfortunately, where I'm at, if you make it too easy for dishonest people, you might as well hang a sign saying free tools! I'm kind of glad I didn't get that specific, 'cause I got most my questions answered AND got a lot of good information I hadn't counted on. Have I mentioned lately how much I REALLY appreciate this site?     Grin

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #40 - 01/13/07 at 20:05:07

you can get a fair amount in the lock box - but you may need to ditch most of the oem tools. I'd look at what's in the 95's bag but I'm not very close to it at the moment  Sad

I can - remove the seat, fuel tank open the carb top and bottom, change brake pads, remove front and rear wheel with tools that fit in that bag along with a couple of fusores - you need to test your stuff however- next time your working on the bike use the tool bag tools sand see what you really need - like do you  have a long enough allen wrench to reach the carb screws and such.

The green slime stuff worked really well in off road tubeless tires for me - sealed up around some pretty big thorns and such - but on a tube tire I doubt it

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #41 - 01/13/07 at 22:40:17

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The green slime stuff worked really well in off road tubeless tires for me - sealed up around some pretty big thorns and such - but on a tube tire I doubt it

I was just curious.  They have a type specifically for tube tires.

sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #42 - 01/14/07 at 03:47:23

I would have to say any long range rider should have a spare tube. Back in the day, off road, i hit a dead?. the bone not only made an entry hole, but as I rode it made a series of holes between the rim and rubber. 13 holes in all. FAF isnt up to that challenge.Also this looks like a good buy for a road trip http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #43 - 01/15/07 at 06:06:51

Yeah, I saw that pump.  It's pretty compact and that's good.  I already have a CO2 inflator and spare tubes for longer trips but I was only curious as to whether anyone had any experience with Slime in a tube tire.  I figured it might be worthwhile as a preventative for daily riding.  I may give it a shot anyway.  I know they sell it at Harbor Freight.

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 01/15/07 at 12:22:21

I used slime in my dp bike and it ended up plugging the shraeder valve and causing a flat.  Was so jammed  up I almost couldn't get it out, after butchering up the valve I finally pulled  out a mega-sized snot-clot 3inch long, and had to replace the shraeder.  Only really good for slow leak thorn punctures anyway, I won't use the stuff anymore.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another dumb newbie question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.