Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
intake leaks how to check ? (Read 6 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

intake leaks how to check ?
01/12/07 at 17:32:28

whats a good way to check for intake leak at the carb boots ?
spray something ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: intake leaks how to check ?
Reply #1 - 01/12/07 at 17:36:45

Short blasts of wd 40 oughta do it. The propane will jack the idle up. But, the reason I say short blasts is, wouldn't want the propane going in the intake thru the filter, cuz it willl jack the idle there too. I GUESS it will raise the idle. Might knock it down? Either way. You spray & idle changes? Leak found, right?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 01/12/07 at 17:36:46

spray started fluid around the intake.  if the idle speeds up for a little, you have a leak!  you can prolly use wd-40, but I'd use the starting fluid.

another method is to use a cigarette and see if any of the smoke obviously gets sucked in.  not as reliable as above, but great for diagnosing exhaust leaks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/07 at 17:47:54

he's right about that starting fluid. Very easy to determine that way. It's a better choice. If you have wd 40 handy try that. If you have starter fluid, try that.If WD 40 is inconclusive, starter fluid at Wal_Mart is Cheap. I keep a couple cans around for the backhoe. It's also a great lot of fun to eliminate a swarm of little bugs in the evening. Just squeeeze the trigger & light the lighter. MAJOR whooossshhh... NBOTE*** KIds, do not try this at home. or anbody elses home.  I do not recommend this to anyone.. LOL,, you know what I mean..

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 01/14/07 at 00:01:49

You can also use a propane torch.  Of course, you don't light it.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 01/14/07 at 18:10:02

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

What if you get spark from somewhere else  Shocked while doing this. I'll stick with starting fluid.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 01/15/07 at 07:22:06

Back when I used to smoke, I would hold a lit cigarette near the area in question and see if the smoke changed direction.  Obviously this works best in an area with still air, like a garage and starter fluid is a better method but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 01/15/07 at 12:18:53

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
What if you get spark from somewhere else  Shocked while doing this. I'll stick with starting fluid.

The ether in starting fluid has a much lower flash point, is more toxic and a lot more dangerous than the propane. For leak finding, I'd stick to the propane over the WD-40 becuase it isn't going to make a mess.

The ether type starting fluid was developed for starting diesel engnes and is really hard on lower compression gas motors.

Here's a tip: I've found that WD-40 is an excellent starting fluid for gasoline engines, and burns slower instead of 'exploding' in the cylinder. IMO it is much less likely to cause engine damage. Great for starting a stubborn lawn mower or cycle. If you are trying to decie whether and engine won't run because of lack of fuel, or no spark, a squirt of WD-40 straight into the carb, and an attempt to start, will answer your question real fast.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/15/07 at 12:58:46

I guess if ya really want a safe non tocix approach a guy could start with a spray bottle & soapy water. Or no soap? Just when the crack gets wet it changes the airflow thru the crack & ups the idlea? Am I all wet> ?? I've never tried this, can it work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:13:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › intake leaks how to check ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.