Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Another dumb newbie question... (Read 15 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: Another dumb newbie question...
Reply #15 - 01/09/07 at 21:06:16

Years ago 1960's and 1970's the Japs would supply a nice tool kit with their cars. Their cars improved greatly in reliability so they quit supplying tool kits. A tool kit should be supplied with all American cars even today. I suspect the Japs will stop supplying tools with their bikes soon. The bikes are reliable and you don't really need a tool kit.

The worst field service problem with a bike is the flat tire.
The Savage has a tube type tire. Since you can throw away the tube when the tire is repaired, I wish there was an approved aerosol tube sealer/ air canister we could use to pump up a punctured tire to at least get us home.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/10/07 at 00:40:27

I had no idea it was considered bad form to use Fix A Flat on a tube type tire. I had a flat & had a can sitting there. I used it & it worked. Ran it like thaT for a couple thousand miles, until time to replace the tire. I wish I could find a small size can. I would haul one. I have heard that adding slime to a tire before it gets a hole is a good idea. I think I will do that.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 01/10/07 at 05:52:50

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I had no idea it was considered bad form to use Fix A Flat on a tube type tire. I had a flat & had a can sitting there. I used it & it worked. Ran it like thaT for a couple thousand miles, until time to replace the tire. I wish I could find a small size can. I would haul one. I have heard that adding slime to a tire before it gets a hole is a good idea. I think I will do that.

That is the first time that I've ever heard of anyone inflating a tube tire with Fix a Flat.  Where was the puncture?

If you just want to inflate a tire, I think there are some CO2 cartridge devices just for that.

I change all of my own tires, and would surely hate to have to squeeze all that goo out of the tube just to get it off.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 01/10/07 at 10:18:19

the 17mm open end is actually usefull in draining the oil. it is short enough to remove the oil drain bolt without the wrench jamming against the floor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/10/07 at 11:02:55

Greg, I started replacing my own tires & that was the first one I did. The goo I squirted in it did nothing to affect the job of replacing the tire. Maybe another time, a different puncture, & I would have had a mess. I did just replace the tube. Didn't wwant any hassles. I still have that tube & I think it would fix. If something happens to the tube I am running I guess I will have to find out.

I wisdh someone would post a link to a good tool bag that doesn't cost $5.00 per square inch.. Sheesh, those little things are pricey. I may be forced to "Rednekk" something up.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/10/07 at 11:18:49

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg, I started replacing my own tires & that was the first one I did. The goo I squirted in it did nothing to affect the job of replacing the tire. Maybe another time, a different puncture, & I would have had a mess. I did just replace the tube. Didn't wwant any hassles. I still have that tube & I think it would fix. If something happens to the tube I am running I guess I will have to find out.

I wisdh someone would post a link to a good tool bag that doesn't cost $5.00 per square inch.. Sheesh, those little things are pricey. I may be forced to "Rednekk" something up.

I just figured there'd be a bunch of that FAF in the tube and it would be messy.  I know that mechanics like to be warned if you have it in an auto tire.

Don't know where I got my rednekk toolbag.  Can't remember, but you couldn't get it there anyway Smiley  

But I think it only cost about $30, and I keep spare bulbs and all kinds of goodies in it.  Even a rag.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 01/10/07 at 11:24:38

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
the 17mm open end is actually usefull in draining the oil. it is short enough to remove the oil drain bolt without the wrench jamming against the floor.

Yeah, but who changes their oil on the side of the road? Tongue

At home I usually use a 17 MM box end to break it and turn it out with my fingers 'cause I have to get an oil pan under there.

....wait, didn't we have discussion about this before???

Don't some Savages have different size drain plugs?

IP Logged
ThumpinSquid
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Granite Falls & Robe, WA
Reply #22 - 01/10/07 at 19:29:34

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
That is the first time that I've ever heard of anyone inflating a tube tire with Fix a Flat.  Where was the puncture?

If you just want to inflate a tire, I think there are some CO2 cartridge devices just for that.

I change all of my own tires, and would surely hate to have to squeeze all that goo out of the tube just to get it off.

Ditto what Justin said. I've used fix-a-flat in just about everything and had no problems. It sets up like rubber cement when it's dry. Tire shops want to know if you've used it because it will spray little flakes of that s### out when they break the tire off the bead and they don't want to get it in their eyes and mouths, since it is a carcinogen. Also, they'll charge you more to clean it off your rim before mounting your new tire. This is just for tubeless auto applications mind you.

The manufacturer of Fix-a-Flat doesn't recommend it's use in motorcycles because they don't want the liability of someone using it, having the FAF fail and the rider dying or getting injured and then they or the family suing them.

Slime I've also had good luck with, though I've only used it in my mountain bikes.

FWIW, I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat in my saddlebag, and I won't hesitate to use it should the occasion arise. Wink

Out of my way, I have to pee!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 01/10/07 at 21:45:46

if it sets up hard, it might throw the balence of the tire off if it was parked when it set.  out of balence not as bad for a car.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/10/07 at 23:40:53

Ride it as soon as I put it in. I never had a problem with out O ballance. BUT, if I do have aproblem with ballance, I will grin as I wobble down the road. Fixing a flat on the side O the road on a bike with no centersatnd can't be any fun. Have to lay it over I guess. I'll take an out O ballance tire..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 01/11/07 at 11:02:38

Okay.  I'll think about it.  I have cans in my cages, anyway.

Never heard it recommended or used in a tube tire before, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #26 - 01/11/07 at 13:16:30

Fix a Flat sounds like a better idea than sitting on the side of the road guarding the bike like my ex used to make me do. Where was fix a flat when I needed it?
I may have to clean out my saddlebags so there's room for a can.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 01/11/07 at 20:36:50

Since we started this direction of the thread I remembered I was gonna put slime in my tires before I got a puncture. That's gotta happen. I dunno if I already said this, if so,, sorry. Anyway, if you haven't done it. Do consider it. I looked at the rear tonight, that's gonna be a trick,,

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 01/11/07 at 20:54:27

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Fix a Flat sounds like a better idea than sitting on the side of the road guarding the bike like my ex used to make me do. Where was fix a flat when I needed it?
I may have to clean out my saddlebags so there's room for a can.

Well, remember this. FAF is for emergencies.  What initially got my attention was the idea that a tire could be ridden on for thousands of miles after using it.

Have you ever had a rolling flat on a motorcycle tire?  Pretty unnerving.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 01/11/07 at 21:13:19

Ya know what?  I think this is pretty important too....  

I have had one rolling flat on the front and one on the rear on a bike.  Don't know which seemed worse because they were on different bikes....Both really weird.  Unlike a car, a bike tire doesn't hold that much air.  Not much chance for a "slow leak".  It leaks and it's flat.  That's it.

I have tires in my truck in which I have used FAF and also installed plugs (I do it myself).  Darned nails.  No big deal if you know how....Got lots of miles on them since.

Not a  big deal if 1 of 4 tires blow out while going down the road, IN A TRUCK or CAR.

However, before we etch this conversation into the Savage archives, I think that we should also temper it by stating that FAF is a TEMPORARY FIX.

You use it to inflate motorcycle tires and then you go home to fix it.  On a motorcycle it isn't a long time fix!

Just my nickel...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:33:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another dumb newbie question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.