Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cost of rejetting and carb cleaning (Read 34 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Cost of rejetting and carb cleaning
01/03/07 at 23:37:17

Okay - I am not at all mechanically inclined so I have to rely on the mechanic types.  No problem - I'm fine with this shortcoming.

Quick question - put a new pipe on and I'm having it rejetted.  $150 plus 60 for the parts.  They also said that the carb should probably be cleaned - $112.  It's a 1998 with only 7000 miles.  We bought it from a guy that let it sit for quite some time.  My son's put 2000 miles on it since we bought it.  Does it need the carb cleaning?  If so, is it a decent price?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Cost of rejetting and carb cleaning
Reply #1 - 01/04/07 at 06:12:39

$322.00!? to clean and rejet a carb!? is my math correct, is that what you're telling us? it seems WAAYY out of line to me, the jets are $2.50(2), the labor could be 2 hrs maybe 3 hrs including cleaning. thats $100.00 an hour plus 10x on the parts  Shocked i'm in the wrong buisness  Roll Eyes. i'm sorry i'm not more help, as i dont truely know what mechanical services cost, i'm sure someone here has paid for these services, and will let you know what they paid. it just seems high to me. is this a suzuki stealership, or an independent repair shop? where are you at? maybe another member is in the area, and can help with a different shop recommendation.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #2 - 01/04/07 at 06:32:52

This is a Suzuki dealer, where by the way, I've purchased two other Hondas in the past 4 months.  I would think that they would help a brotha out!  My problem now is that they already have the bike and the job is started!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/04/07 at 06:52:43

I've seen shop prices like that.  $100/hr at the Burbank kawa stealer, $60 in Glendale and $40 in Irwindale.  Cleaning the Carb is a standardized job meaning set price and I think rejetting would be too for a stealer.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #4 - 01/04/07 at 07:25:09

so you're saying that i should be happy with the work done?  I'm in South Orange County - maybe that's why they feel that they can charge so much!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/04/07 at 07:30:19

D@MIT that sounds high - for that kind of money they better warrant the carb will be spot on, and I mean SPOT ON - use a O2 sensor through the RPM range and the whole bit - not just a re-jet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/04/07 at 08:19:13

Yea, for that kinda money you oughta be getting what a race team would wish for. That carb should be laying down the right power & handing out good MPG. What exhaust? If it's the Supertrapp I hope you hand it to them with enough baffles in it to let the thing breathe easy. Then they can jet the carb to that airflow rate.If you are gonna mess with the intake, do it before ya get it jetted. Sounds like a sack O $$$ for a jetting & cleaning. UNless they do the lambda & adjust the air fuel mixture like REAL mechanics, then it's not a raping, but still maybe higher than is really justified. Depends on how much time they Should do it in. Anyone ever SEEN a mechanic do this? How long should it take? What kind oif charges are justified? I guess it is Hours not $$ because $$$/Hr rates change thru the country.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 01/04/07 at 10:57:46

Your stealership is running your pony around the ring while charging you admission to the circus.
$150 for a rebuild and $60 for parts is typical, but the $112 for cleaning is a gouge. When wrenches rebuild a carb cleaning is expected.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/04/07 at 12:20:42

The $60 for parts is probably for a Dynojet kit. If the bike "sat for some time", yes it needs a complete rebuild. You're fine  Smiley

I would expect it to run perfect after spending that though.

A good test ride and a plug reading will let you know.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #9 - 01/04/07 at 13:27:56

I have to agree with all of the above.  That is definately a large sum of money for a job that can be done by anyone.  I would try to get the bike back before it racks up alot of hours and spend 20 on a clymer manual.  Taking the carb out should be less then an hour.  Cleaning means you soak it in carb cleaner and rejetting requires four screws to be taken out, jets replaced, and reinstalled.  all in all, other then the time spent soaking, you can do the whole thing in less then two hours.  

Plus the stealerships dont really know about the quirks of the bike or some of the modifications.  The one close to me never heard of the white spacer mod.  

Learn to fish, that way you'll never have to buy from the market

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 01/04/07 at 14:10:09

Quote:
Learn to fish, that way you'll never have to buy from the market

Hey, it seems like that quote should have come from Reelthing! Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 01/04/07 at 14:21:50

The carb can be removed from the bike,  totally dismantled, cleaned, new jets installed, put back on the bike and tuned in an hour.
I don't know about a professional bike mech at a dealership, but I can do it in that amount of time and I am old and slow.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #12 - 01/04/07 at 22:18:03

I'm with Lancer. This isn't a difficult job.
Just go do it!
Your son's 2000 miles would suggest to me the carb doesn't need cleaning. When you rejet, give it a good inspection. If you find significant dirt accumulation, take the carb in for cleaning, or clean it yourself.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 01/04/07 at 22:36:42

Davera;
Sorry to here you got shafted by the dealer Undecided, you should have post this issue before you had the dealer done this. I live in Anaheim which isn't far from you. Like Lancer said, the carb can be take out and do all those posted details and put back on within 2 hours (including beer time Grin) Oh well. next time you want to work on/tinkering that bike, give me a yell partner.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cost of rejetting and carb cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.