Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportster seat mod...question (Read 18 times)
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Sportster seat mod...question
12/19/06 at 17:41:05

I've read all the posts about this seat mod and am about ready to make up a bracket and mount this puppy but I have one question. My Sportster seat has a ridge in the middle just below the part number. Is this the right seat?

http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/sportsterseatpan.htm

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Sportster seat mod...question
Reply #1 - 12/20/06 at 03:19:33

Hi Ken, this is the correct seat . Look up in the tech section a post by azjay. He has made a clear description of the bracket to be made.

Greetz
Kropatchek
Nor riding at the moment but very happy with the Sprty seat

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 12/20/06 at 07:37:07

nice picture! my cel phone wouldn't macro in that tight  Undecided. that flat ridge is what i attatched my bracket to, it made it very easy. good luck

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/20/06 at 11:00:30

I to have just bought an 04 seat,
why  the bracket across the seat ? if you use the seats mountings surely you dont need this, as it is secured back and front, yes i know you have to butcher the back light a little, but it is the easier option, or am I missing the point and the bracket is so you don't mess the light about, is there any other ways using the bikes original rear seat mount. as I would like to be able to get this off pretty quick to get at things under the seat, when they break.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 12/20/06 at 11:07:13

Neat, there's the part number. RDW-92/61-0067. Maybe that's just the seat pan, seems to be for a softtail.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/20/06 at 11:56:50

This is the one I bought.
Although it's not a perfit fit.
rocks like a teeter-toter.
I've opened up 2 areas that interfere with the frame and 2 other areas that interfere with the volt reg and now it sits pretty stable without brackets and I didn't have to move anything.
Next step is to form the brackets.  I should be able to find time over the next 2 weeks.
Got picts will pub when finished.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 12/20/06 at 15:36:40

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Neat, there's the part number. RDW-92/61-0067. Maybe that's just the seat pan, seems to be for a softtail.

That same number is also on the metal tab in the front.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #7 - 12/20/06 at 15:41:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
rocks like a teeter-toter.

Mine teeters too. I tie-wrapped it on for a long test ride and it was steady enough once I got it cinched down. 150 miles and four hours later, I realized it was noticeably better than my modified stock seat but it still isn't "touring" ready. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Sure looks good on the Savage though!

Ken

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 12/20/06 at 16:00:57

I bought a seat for a s40 and its much better than the stock seat. It neither rocks nor had to have a special bracket. It should probably be added to the list of changed to the ls650. weather permitting I will be riding to the inlaws this weekend. 100 mile roundtrip. I'll let you know how it performs. Good luck with your mod. Any change is a step up from the factory ls650 seat.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 12/21/06 at 07:25:41

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Iwhy  the bracket across the seat ? if you use the seats mountings surely you dont need this, as it is secured back and front, yes i know you have to butcher the back light a little, but it is the easier option, or am I missing the point and the bracket is so you don't mess the light about, is there any other ways using the bikes original rear seat mount. as I would like to be able to get this off pretty quick to get at things under the seat, when they break.

the reasons for the center bracket are; 1) to pull the seat down to the frame, for full support when sitting on it, 2) for better appearance, 3) for extra security so it doesn't wiggle around while riding (it is only plastic). the tailight still requires some carving, and removal prior to removing the seat, the two extra screws on the saddle dont really seem to hinder access. i moved the regulator so the seat didn't sit on it. this worked for us, you can do it any way you want.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:38:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster seat mod...question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.