Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tank Sticker Removal (Read 16 times)
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Tank Sticker Removal
12/20/06 at 05:37:59

Hey Guys and Gals. I have a 95' Savage I just bought a few weeks ago. In the process of chopipng it up and want to remove the stickers off of the tank and side covers. The Side covers look like they'll be fairly easy to remove as I can feel the edge pretty good to get a fingernail under with the help of some WD-40 and a blow-dryer. The tank, However, looks like it'll be harder, and has me wondering if they clearcoated over the sticker. It doesn't seem to have an edge to it. It's like the sticker is either beveled on the edge or it's clearcoated after it's been stuck on the tank. The paint job is perfect and I don't want to mess it up

Any tips for the tank stickers for me? Same method as the safety sticker, or is there a different/better way to remove them?

Thanks in advance for the help. Here's a pic of a bike that has the same stickers I have (I borrowed the pic from the gallery)

Tim

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Tank Sticker Removal
Reply #1 - 12/20/06 at 05:46:35

The "sticker" on the tank is just like those on the side covers.  The emblem decals are a different story.  They are under the clearcoat.  Drain the tank and let it air out completely.  Use a hair drier to preheat one corner and then use something non-metallic to begin to remove it.  A fingernail is great for starters but I found a stiff plastic kitchen utensil (sp00n or spatula) worked best for the long run.  Be patient; it's a pain.  Once you get the decal off, use Goo-Gone or orange oil to remove the remaining adhesive.  There will be an outline leftover.  You can feather this and apply more clearcoat (NOT rattlecan because gas will dissolve it FAST) or cover it with a different decal, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 12/20/06 at 06:20:58

d*mn, so the "Suzuki" stickers on the side of the tank are under the clearcoat? I already removed the safety sticker. It came off easily. The side cover "savage"  stickers look to be easy too. Is there no way of removing the "Suzuki" Stickers off of the side of the tank?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 12/20/06 at 06:55:43

Five_Points wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Is there no way of removing the "Suzuki" Stickers off of the side of the tank?

That's what I just outlined.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #4 - 12/20/06 at 07:10:28

oops. I re-read it and understand now. Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 12/20/06 at 19:16:06

Go to your local Home Depot. and buy some toilet shims. A bag of them are $3. They are a great tool for removing the decal on the tank. Won't scratch and they have ridges to get some grip when your scraping. worked for me, your mileage may vary. I found the thicker end works better for scraping. hair dryer requried.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Ray_in_Kingwood
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/21/06 at 06:17:47

I removed my sons with a heat gun and a fingernail. Heatguns get waaaay hotter than a hairdryer. SO you have to be carefull cuz you can blister paint. Once heated it was extemely ez to peel off with just a nail. I used the edge of a wooden clothspin cuz it was hot on the fingers.......when thru  I had used a rag soaked with a little bit of gasoline to remove all the residue......came out perfect.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:33:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tank Sticker Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.