Send Topic Print
Am I correct (Read 7 times)
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Am I correct
12/19/06 at 15:01:25

in assuming that the Savage buckhorns will replace the S40 dragbars without cable/wire change?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Am I correct
Reply #1 - 12/19/06 at 15:08:46

i believe so.. but i've been wrong before  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 12/19/06 at 15:53:26

Not sure, but there may be issues with the brake master cylinder and brake lines. I know there are differences between the two.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 12/19/06 at 17:21:19

According to the parts microfiche, the bottom half of the handlebar clamps on the "no-riser" clamps used on the buckhorn style handlebars is different. So... it appears you need to change clamps with bars, but the cables and brake line should be close to correct lentgh.  However, I also think the banjo fitting on the front brake master cylinder comes out on a different side of the reservoir depending on which bars the bike came with originally.

I've swapped my bars back and forth, but the old guy that had my '87 before me had the buckhorns on top of the 3" drag bar risers. He had added a longer stainless steel brake line, and patched the wiring to accmodate the extra distance. Now I've got the 3" risers and 34" wide low-rise bars on it, and have a little extra wire and brake line to tuck away.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 12/20/06 at 05:28:51

The newer master cylinder should be okay with either type. I believe.  I think the line feeds from the front of the MC on yours.  Is that correct?  On my 98, it feeds from the left side of the MC making it trickier.  Wide enough bars allow it to clear the risers.  I would be more concerned that you may not have enough length to go from flat/drag bars to the buckhorns.  You get a little extra length when converting from buckhorns to flat/drag bars.  Even with my 36" wide drags I have a slight surplus.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:20:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I correct

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.