Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to the forums...thinking of a Savage (Read 6 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

New to the forums...thinking of a Savage
11/28/06 at 10:19:55

Hello everyone.  First let me introduce myself.  My name is Robert and I live at the beach in sunny NC.  I urrently ride a 1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk.  My wife and I bought this bike for both of us to learn on and then it was going to become hers when I got something bigger.  Plans have changed some since then and it will be a few years before we can afford to get me the bike I want (new baby due in January0.  Well, one of the things we really want to do is be able to ride together, on seperate bikes (she wants to be in control, doesn't want to ride on the back seat.)  

Now to my question.  I have a guy that I work with who mentioned that he wants to sell his wifes Savage 650.  She rode it once since he bought it and she is scared so she won't get back on it.  I have no gone to look at it yet, but here are the specs as he has told me so far:

- 1998 Suzuki Savage LS650
- low mile (he didn't know the mileage off the top of his head - I'll get this when I go look it over - low to me and low to him might be 2 totally different things.)
- Yellow in color

Installed aftermarket extras that are included:
-Crash bars
-Highway pegs on the crash bars
-windshield
-Saddlebags
-seat back on passenger seat

Here is the thing, though.  The bike isn't running right now.  He has had it in storage in his garage for 2+ years.  When he put it there he knew it would be a whil before it was started so he drained the fuel tank.  He says that he didn't do anything to the carb, though, so he is sure that it will need a carb rebuild.  I have been able to do everything to my nighthawk myself with the help of a Clymer manual, so I am thinking that I should be able to get it running myself if I get a Clymer for it.  He says he wants $700-$800 for it but for me to make him an offer, so he might take $600-$650 instead.

What do you all think?  Is rebuilding the carb on one of these a difficult thing?  I just re-jetted my nighthawk this last weekend and it is a 4 cyl.  Will this be easier/harder?

Your help here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New to the forums...thinking of a Savage
Reply #1 - 11/28/06 at 12:37:52

With my current experience with the bike, I'd buy it without a second thought.  I paid $1100 for a '96. Split seats, faded paint, lost tool kit, and battery box latch lost.  And I had no experience with the mechanics of it.

The carb should just need cleaning, you'll find excellent instructions here, do a search, many ref's to many issues, all small to any shadetree mech.

WWW   IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #2 - 11/28/06 at 12:51:13

Welcome, Robert.

A carb re-build should not be too difficult if you have a Clymers and previous experience.

Since you have both of these, you should be OK.

And of course, you will not be rebuilding per se, but just opening it up and cleaning out the stale fuel that has turned to jelly (or maybe even gum).

I'm a newbie S40 owner, and I took my carb apart, re-jetted it, did the white spacer mod, and adjusted the fuel mix.

I only attempted this with a Clymer's in hand and some threads on this bulletin board that I printed out.

If you want to learn more specifics about taking the Savage carb apart, do a search on it in this forum (Rubber Side Down) and you'll come up with a lot of good advice.

I think you've got a great chance to get a good bike at a very low price, even at the seller's high end of $800.

But, it won't be a good deal if it needs more than carb work. Some of these bikes develop an oil leak; you could also do a thread search to learn more about that.

Finally, the cylinder wall of a bike left in storage for that long could have some rust on it, so that's not good either.

Do you know whether this guy sprayed a fogging oil into the cylinder before he stored it? And do you know if he changed the oil before he stored it? Acids in old oil can eat away at engine metal parts...

The bottom line: You've got a good price, but I'd ask more questions about how the bike was stored and ask for a 30-day money-back guarantee in case there's more than a carb to de-gunk.

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/06 at 12:55:27

If the bike hasn't been dropped & seems to be in good shape I would take it with the caveat that when you start it if the engine is trashed( say ran out of oil) then you get your money back. The reason I say that is because I wouldn't try to start it till I did the carb & oil change. I guess you could ask him to let ya get it running & then pay him the $800.00 if it isn't mechanically sick. I mean rod knocking sick, not needing tyhe valves adjust3ed. I wish I could find a bike in good shape for $800.00. Then I would wish for the $800.00!

Good luck & congratulations on becoming a daddy.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/28/06 at 18:58:57

For $800, as long as it will turn over when you hit the starter button without any grinding sounds ... it is worth the money.  If it will start with a shot of the  carb juice even better.  If you can get him down to $600 you are getting a deal for sure.

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/28/06 at 19:30:12

Well, I got him talked down to $650 .... also there is another guy here at work who is thinking about it, so if I am going to get it I am going to have to do it pretty soon.  My wife just thinks that it will be too small for her, she is a big girl after 2 pregnancies.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/28/06 at 20:36:27

Im 300 lbs  and I love my Mistress ( so my wife calls her )...   Keep in mind she isnt going to be riding much with a newborn !!    Buy it !!   She will love it !!   or you will !!  Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 11/28/06 at 21:27:19

Have him put some Dexron-Mercon ATF down the plug hole. As in, pull the plug and fill the plug well up. Let it sit a couple days, until the ATF has made it to the crankcase. Pull the fuel line from the gas valve, and fill the float bowl withSeaFoam. Let sit a couple days, drain the float bowl and add some fuel via the hose. Jump start it with your car (turn the car OFF). If it catches, shut it off, if it doesn't catch, change the plug and try again.

She'll smoke like you wouldn't believe. DO NOT run it long with ATF in the crankcase! It's too thin, too soapy, and will fubar the clutch. If she tried to start, a buck a cc is a great price. If she started right up, so much the better.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 11/29/06 at 05:39:50

+1 on the good price if you can do the work yourself. I would drain all of the fluids (whatever might be left in the carb included) before I tried to crank the MC. I might even try and turn it over by hand before applying the starter. I would also get a guarantee that if the MC has anything seriously wrong as in "something you don't want to fix" you can get your money back (I wouldn't consider an oil leak serious).

Enjoy your new baby(ies).  Wink

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #9 - 11/29/06 at 06:10:49

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I might even try and turn it over by hand before applying the starter.

That's a very good point, mornhm.

Pull the plug, put her in gear and give her a push. Listen for any grinding sounds, which would indicate too much friction between cylinder and wall. If that happens, there could be rust.

If it sounds smooth, with a nice "puff" as the compressed escapes through the exhaust valve, then you're OK.

Unfortunately, unless the owner has done gazab44's spark plug door mod, pulling the plug means you need to remove the tank first...

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 11/29/06 at 06:29:02

grab it! for $650, you can afford anything it might need and still be money ahead. from your description, it wont need any repairs, just some maintenance.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #11 - 11/29/06 at 07:08:19

For $650.00 I'll buy it, ship it to California and still feel like I got a good deal!!

goforit!!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/29/06 at 10:38:41

The first time I started my 87 after setting for years by the previous owner...  It made all kinds of noise from the top end ( banging and Clanging ) I thought what have I bought ... But after I built up oil presure and warmed it up ... I havent heard the noise since..  I love my misstres but wish she was a little bit newer after seeing the case problems the 87 has where the starter gears are concerned  Shocked  I payed $400 for my 87 sight unseen and had to travel 100 miles to get her.. She was setting in a field under a tarp But it was love at first sight.......................

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/06 at 11:28:47

Thanks for all the input.  We have decided that we are going to go look at it prolly this Sunday.  if everything is as he says, we will get her buy her that ay and pick her up as soon as I can arrange a truck.  I'll let you all know what I finnd when we go look at her.

Robert

IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/15/06 at 16:27:25

I am also in NC and looking for a Savage. If you don't buy it, please tell me about it so I can come and take a look!
Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:38:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to the forums...thinking of a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.