Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Supertrapp discs-what number works best for you ? (Read 6 times)
markrider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Supertrapp discs-what number works best for you ?
12/17/06 at 07:10:44

I have a question for Savage owners who are using the Supertrapp exhaust system.  What  has been your experience as to the  "best" number of discs to use for all around best street performance.    What number works best for the Savage?  Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Supertrapp discs-what number works best for yo
Reply #1 - 12/17/06 at 07:22:17

I would like to know what kind of performance boost to expect from a supertrapp. Like 0-60 time, top end, jets used, MPG after mods. I know MPG varies depending on riding style, I just hope that those of us who do the mods drive like mtheir hair is on fire so we can have a common style for comparisson.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 12/17/06 at 08:13:05

I use the number of disks that came with it - 7 if I recall correctly. It is a nice compromise between sound (just a bit on the loud side) and performance.

The performance increase is very good. Horsepower and torque is greatly increased. How much? I really couldn't put it into numbers. You will be amazed - that I can assure you.

Never checked top end but it breaths much better. I've probably had mine to 80 and it was still pulling hard. With the stock muffler riding at 65 or 70, it felt like there wasn't much left. Now it wants to pull to redline.

I jetted mine based on some early posts here. 157.5 main jet. 1/2 white spacer. Slow mix out 1 1/2 or 2 turns. Gas mileage is great. The first time I checked it I got 52 mpg. This was with lots of throttle twisting and some stop and go driving. I checked it during a ride this Fall and got 55 mpg. Performance and good gas mileage. I'm happy Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/17/06 at 11:01:08

That's what I am chasing, powwer & mpg. Wadda great little bike,,

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #4 - 12/17/06 at 16:45:53

The most impressive performance change you will make to this motorcycle is the addition of the supertrapp. You can run this for a while before you have to re-jet the carb. Don't go too long, or your pipe will start to yellow toward turning blue. Starting at 6 discs is about right.

I re-jetted with the Dynojet kit, which gives you lots of jet options. After re-jetting with the DJ144, I moved out to 10 discs.
I clean and change the discs frequently looking for a the number that has the least black soot. I had the 10 discs for a while and still got some soot, so I went to 13. My spark plug looked very good at 13 but I haven't run the 13 long enough for another disc check.

The key here is to inspect your discs regularly and try to get to a tan color condition. You can also get tech support directly from SuperTrapp.
It's much easier to change discs than to change jets to get to the best mixture.  

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/18/06 at 03:55:59

I love my supertrapp. It makes a nice deep rumble and turns heads when you start it up! I dont know how to describe the difference between a stock bike and one refitted with the supertrapp. I  run 8 discs. I also have a K@N air filter.  I have done no rejetting cause my header  pipe is still nice and chrome, my muffler is just turning a nice gold color. My spark plug is tan and it dosnt miss or backfire. Acceration is strong and smooth.  I have 25,000 miles on my 02 and maybe 15,000 since installing the supertrapp. Well worth the money!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/18/06 at 04:02:59

Forgot to add that listening to the supertrapp backoff from 4th or 5 gear will bring a smile to your face!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #7 - 12/19/06 at 08:28:32

I agree with all of the above.  Supertrapp is the best thing you can do to your savage.  Gets rid of the embarassing sewing machine sound and turns it into a sexy rumble.  I have 9 discs and love every one of them.  In my opinion, using 6-7 disc  is a waste of money.  You paid for the supertrapp so why are you using a fraction of its capabilities.  In addition i also have a K&N cone filter, .5 white spacer, 155 main and 55 pilot, and the mixture screw out 2 turns.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #8 - 12/19/06 at 22:32:51

Stinger,
Yes I found the backoff sounds like an old Ford flathead with glass-packs.

I get a "KaPop" when I change gears in the lower gears.
This sounds mean, like those 1700 Yamaha Star Warriers.

Yes, you must get rid of your stock Savage muffler.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #9 - 12/20/06 at 18:33:09

I am using 5 disks and the end cap.  As I understand it, the more disks you use, the higher the rpm before the power curve comes in.  Mine pulls like a tractor right off of idle, sounds just great and the mileage is in the high 50's.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/21/06 at 04:58:39

I'd love to be able to run at least 8 discs. That's what I tried first & even without rejetting there was a very nice boost in midrange & top end power with no loss on the low end. But, my neighborhood's rather quiet & my commute to work has me sitting in the middle of a river of cars everyday, some with their windows down, waiting for the light to turn green. So, I toned it down to 4 discs for now but I think I'll compromise & go back to 5 soon, since their windows are back up for the winter. With 4 discs, there way less power than 8 but a little more than stock & a better sound than stock.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 12/21/06 at 16:28:56

Just returned from my first test run with the SuperTrapp muffler installed.  What an awesome difference as everyone said – pulls like a freight train in all gears!  Based on the recommendations here I use 6 discs as a compromise between civility and performance.  Very clean throttle response with the jet mods and no “ka-boom” backfires any more, just the occasional “pop” shifting gears.  For general information, the SuperTrapp part number is 728-50650 and I got it for $270 before tax.  It is listed for model years 1986 – 1996 but fit my 2006 just fine.  The only installation issue was I could use only one of the two mounting T-bolts as the muffler wouldn’t slide forward far enough.  Time to rumble!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/21/06 at 16:36:38

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
The only installation issue was I could use only one of the two mounting T-bolts as the muffler wouldn’t slide forward far enough.  Time to rumble!

I cut a bit off the end of my header pipe. Be sure to retorque all of the bolts (disks and header to cylinder) several times until they settle in. Have fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:26:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supertrapp discs-what number works best for you ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.