Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement muffler (Read 6 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Replacement muffler
12/03/06 at 15:37:36

Me again - my son always would like a meatier sound to his bike.  There was a great post that had different sounds to different mufflers.  It was good to hear them.  The one we like is the "screamin' eagle" but when I tried to find it, it looks like it's just for a H-D.  Is this true?  If not, where would I find one to buy?  Do the Jardine slip-ons sound meaty or throaty?  I want to get one for the least amount of money.

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Replacement muffler
Reply #1 - 12/03/06 at 16:04:04

The slip on mufflers for sporsters without the cross over fit nicely. Most harley dealerships throw them away. You should be able to get one for about $10. Ebay is a good place to find them as well. BTW, an upgrade in exhaust will mean an upgrade in air and fuel delivery. check the posts on the white spacer mod, rejetting and K&N air filters. The exhaust is a bolt on application as is the carb mod and air filter, happy wrenching.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 12/03/06 at 18:00:42

jardine's are very nice but can be pricey some where in the tech section is sounds of the different muffler. If check in the market place you should beable to find one go the through some of the older  post and contact people to see if they still have the muffler.  happy hunting

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #3 - 12/03/06 at 23:12:26

davedra,

The Screaming Eagle mufflers are HD upgrade mufflers.  

I put a used Dyna muffler on my Savage.  I bought it for $20 at the local HD dealer.  It was undoubtedly a take-off.  Most likely, some HD owner decided to have SEs installed on his Dyna and the dealer kept the original mufflers.  

The point is that the SEs are direct replacements for the HD mufflers.  Since the Sportster and Dyna mufflers fit the Savage, a SE muffler designed for the Sportster or Dyna will fit the Savage.  These should have 1.75 inch inlets,

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 12/04/06 at 15:36:28

I just put a stock Honda VTX muffler on my savage and I have to say it d4efinately has a meatier/throatier sound to it. It was a direct slip on application. I just still haven't had the time to record the sound so ya'll folks can hear it. Hopefully this weekend, if not it will be next weekend after I have rejetted the carb.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 12/04/06 at 19:05:40

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I just put a stock Honda VTX muffler on my savage and I have to say it d4efinately has a meatier/throatier sound to it. It was a direct slip on application. I just still haven't had the time to record the sound so ya'll folks can hear it. Hopefully this weekend, if not it will be next weekend after I have rejetted the carb.

Is it from a 1300 or 1800?? I have no doubt it sounds meaty. Did you get a k&n air filter?? Have you done a desnorkel??

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #6 - 12/08/06 at 17:41:48

Thanks for your responses!

Well, I need some more advice from you!!  I went to HD today and asked for the Sportster of Dyna takeoffs.  They didn't have any but they did have a V&H slip-on that they use to upgrade the takeoffs.  It's used but new.  It has no baffle so I'll have to buy one.  HD says that they're the same size as the takeoffs and that it should work.  Any thoughts?  I paid $25 for it.  Will I have to modify the mount?  I've heard these are great mufflers.

Feedback from the experts???

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 12/08/06 at 19:27:38

Without seeing it, my guess is it will work fine and the mounting will work well.  V&H seem to be good mufflers. You'll probably want a baffle.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 12/08/06 at 20:35:08

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Is it from a 1300 or 1800?? I have no doubt it sounds meaty. Did you get a k&n air filter?? Have you done a desnorkel??

It's from a 1300, haven't got a K&N or done the de-snorkle. I haven't decided just what I want to do with the filter yet.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 12/08/06 at 20:38:24

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
It's from a 1300, haven't got a K&N or done the de-snorkle. I haven't decided just what I want to do with the filter yet.

You should look to balancing the trilogy.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 12/08/06 at 20:41:10

Oh, I intend to, just haven't figured out what would be the best solution at the moment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 21:50:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.