Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: idle mixture screw plug
Reply #15 - 11/29/06 at 11:02:31

Oh, okay.  Yeah.  It's technically an enrichener because it adds fuel instead of reducing air like a true choke.  Anyway, that's the case for both carbs.  The stock Mikuni has three positions, "in" (off), halfway out (half-choke) and out (full choke).  The Amal's is an up (off) or down (on) lever.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #16 - 11/29/06 at 11:05:34

are you guys talking about pulling the choke out halfway vs all the way?

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 11/29/06 at 11:06:59

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
are you guys talking about pulling the choke out halfway vs all the way?

Yeah, you can't really do that on the Amal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #18 - 11/29/06 at 11:11:32

i dont think ive ever used that.  If i need the choke on a cold day i just yank the thing out.  In New England their isnt any weather that supports pulling the choke halfway out 8)

aatif96   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/29/06 at 11:51:53

I start with the choke pulled out all the way when it's cold. After I've ridden a ways, 8 or 10 minutes, I set it to half, then, as the engine warms, I shove it all the way in & ride.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #20 - 11/29/06 at 14:54:10

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i dont think ive ever used that.  If i need the choke on a cold day i just yank the thing out.  In New England their isnt any weather that supports pulling the choke halfway out 8)

You mean it doesn't get warm enough up there in summer to start the bike with half choke?   Grin

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #21 - 11/30/06 at 09:18:15

its New England...if you dont like the weather wait 5 minutes Tongue

aatif96   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/30/06 at 21:02:51

One more thing to mention,"make sure your cordless drill is not in the reverse mode"

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #23 - 12/01/06 at 00:22:19

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
You won't need a new carb Grin

Even if you hit the soft brass screw and flatten out the ridges, you can buy a replacement screw and be back in  buisiness (ask me how I know... Shocked).  Best bet though...use tiny bit, just enough pressure to break through the plug then use a screw or find some way to pry out that plug...

Recall where you bought your replacement screw? I didn't ruin my slot altogether, and can still turn it, but a nice new needle jet screw would be nice  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/01/06 at 15:49:17

I haven't backed mine out all the way & looked at it, but I suspect theres enough meat on the thing to dress the head up so the screwdriver fits better. Once it's set yer done right? If anyone looks up in there & says ya botched the screw up you can slam their head into the tank & giggle.. Wink

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #25 - 12/01/06 at 23:33:16

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I haven't backed mine out all the way & looked at it, but I suspect theres enough meat on the thing to dress the head up so the screwdriver fits better. Once it's set yer done right? If anyone looks up in there & says ya botched the screw up you can slam their head into the tank & giggle.. Wink

That will probably work for me! I have a cuttoff wheel on my die grinder that I can use to make the head flat with; then cut the screwdriver slot back nice and straight.

I'm familiar with using that cutting wheel too. I sometimes use it to rough work plastic and bone nuts and bridges for guitars. One of the most handy tools in the shop.

Dunno about putting more dents in my tank with anyone's head though... Not that I mind knockin' heads, just don't want to have to work more dents out of the tank before I paint it. It already has a couple of pretty good ones. The old man I got the bike from cleaned and sealed the tank just before I bought it, and the dropped it on the corner by the seat while he had it off. No way that dent will pull smooth; so there's going to be some bondo in that one.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #26 - 12/02/06 at 09:57:17

I used a dremel with a small drill bit to drill through the plug and was lucky enough not to booger the screw up. But I swear that plug is a bit thicker than the 1/16 that was mentioned. But either way it is finally taken care of.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 08:55:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › idle mixture screw plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.