popped the cam chain (Read 6 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

popped the cam chain
11/28/06 at 21:14:56

tonight, we were returning from "two wheel tuesday" a 30-40 mile evening ride and dinner with several other motorcyclists. cruising along at 65-70 mph, i was admiring her flame in the pipe  8), when all of a sudden POOOFFF!!@! a ball of black smoke followed by engine silence  ???  to debby's credit, she did not over react or panic, she simply moved to the shoulder and slowed to a stop. our 15 yr old daughter was riding 2up with me, i grabbed all 3 discs and slowed my bike right in behind debby. the next thing i heard was the compressionless cranking of the suzi  :'( (play taps now) her road king is almost road worthy, so i guess she moves up this week. i have until spring to get the savage back up, so the (then 16 yr old) daughter can start riding it.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: popped the cam chain
Reply #1 - 11/29/06 at 01:09:02

Crummy deal. Did it have a lot of miles on it? I guess what I am asking is, should you have kept this from happening by more diligent maintenance or did the thing fail before it should have? I ask because if it is caused by riding hard I better get to looking at it soon.

IP Logged
azDebraD
YaBB Newbies

I love the desert.
Year round riding is
great.

arizona
Reply #2 - 11/29/06 at 05:17:01

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
tonight, we were returning from "two wheel tuesday" a 30-40 mile evening ride and dinner with several other motorcyclists. cruising along at 65-70 mph, i was admiring her flame in the pipe  8), when all of a sudden POOOFFF!!@! a ball of black smoke followed by engine silence  ???  to debby's credit, she did not over react or panic, she simply moved to the shoulder and slowed to a stop. our 15 yr old daughter was riding 2up with me, i grabbed all 3 discs and slowed my bike right in behind debby. the next thing i heard was the compressionless cranking of the suzi  :'( (play taps now) her road king is almost road worthy, so i guess she moves up this week. i have until spring to get the savage back up, so the (then 16 yr old) daughter can start riding it.

to the fact of what happend I AM A VERY SAD GIRL :'( :'( :'!!!!

i now have to drive the cage for a few days and i am definately not happy about that.    i began riding the suzi on school days.  for the reason that the college has  been doing some major construction and have closed down three major parking lots.   there has been no parking for cages unless you want to park in tim-buk-to or bum-f@#$ egypt Shocked Shocked.

i think i will fire my mechanic Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.   or just maybe hold a wake for the bike Grin.

lady rider and loving it
sv2hugger   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 11/29/06 at 05:27:22

azDebraD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i think i will fire my mechanic Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.   or just maybe hold a wake for the bike Grin.

Say, isn't your mechanic the same guy that ran the engine with no oil in it for several hundred miles? At the very least, take his tools away for a month.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 11/29/06 at 05:34:54

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Crummy deal. Did it have a lot of miles on it? I guess what I am asking is, should you have kept this from happening by more diligent maintenance or did the thing fail before it should have? I ask because if it is caused by riding hard I better get to looking at it soon.

the bike has less than 10k miles on it, here is the history of the shortened life span
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...
typically 20k is the end of life expectancy for the cam  chain. the cam chain adjuster seems to have issues too, i recommend a search and read about others experiences with it, i killed ours Embarrassed  i would not consider highway riding at 65-70 "hard", that is everyday riding.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
azDebraD
YaBB Newbies

I love the desert.
Year round riding is
great.

arizona
Reply #5 - 11/29/06 at 06:02:39

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Say, isn't your mechanic the same guy that ran the engine with no oil in it for several hundred miles? At the very least, take his tools away for a month.

yes Shocked!   that would be the one and i think i will do that at the very least he might learn a lesson Grin.

lady rider and loving it
sv2hugger   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 11/29/06 at 06:12:13

azDebraD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
yes Shocked!   that would be the one and i think i will do that at the very least he might learn a lesson Grin.

you'll have to find something else to do with him, sitting in a chair isn't an option

IP Logged
azDebraD
YaBB Newbies

I love the desert.
Year round riding is
great.

arizona
Reply #7 - 11/29/06 at 06:24:05

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
you'll have to find something else to do with him, sitting in a chair isn't an option

maybe finishing the big shop out back will help you remember to finish the job right Grin.

lady rider and loving it
sv2hugger   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 11/29/06 at 07:08:54

Of course it's really running hours not miles but without a hour meter this is difficult to calculate.

Two interesting situations going on, the chain wears and stretches while the spring loaded  tensioner puts pressure on the chain to keep it tight – when it over extends it falls apart and creates a lot of slack in the chain and it’s not long for this world at that point, however if the chain pops the tensioner also falls apart – hum so which happens first the chicken or the egg?

Azjay, in the case here where oiling was an issue I would  think that the chain wore very quickly – when you take it apart could you measure the 21 pin/20 link as show in the book?

Of course we have recently scared stinger on his ’02 savage with 25k generally higher speed miles which would be far less hours than most commute bikes and has had very frequent oil changes.

Stinger in order to not break the bank it might be worth while to just inspect the tensioner on that ’02 by pulling the right side(starboard) cover. The tensioner is a ratchet device with about 24 teeth maximum travel is right on 1 inch past that it will fall apart. I have seen it stated that if the tensioner piston is out more that .7 inch (18mm) it is time to replace the chain – this seems like a reasonable measurement if the measurement is taken along the ratchet teeth. So it might only cost you a new side cover gasket and an hour labor to find out – since you must take this cover off to do the job anyway.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 11/29/06 at 10:31:03

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Azjay, in the case here where oiling was an issue I would  think that the chain wore very quickly – when you take it apart could you measure the 21 pin/20 link as show in the book?

i will be pleased to measure photo and post anything that anybody wants to see, when i get in there

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/30/06 at 11:35:27

My old Savage only had 6k on it when the cam chain broke and bent the valves.  I was so sad but I had ti rebuilt at the stealership for 1300.00.  That was just the top cylinder.  YIPE

IP Logged
darndt
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/30/06 at 17:46:51

I was wondering if it is a common problem with the savage to have cam chain problems  with under 30000 miles on it I have a savage with 14000 miles on it was hopeing that it should be reliable  for at least 50000 before any major problems  the savage is my newest bike i also have a Honda vt500 ascot 1983 around 30000 miles on it and a 1976 guzzi convert with around 90000 miles on it no major problems on either so far

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 11/30/06 at 17:49:40

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My old Savage only had 6k on it when the cam chain broke and bent the valves.  I was so sad but I had ti rebuilt at the stealership for 1300.00.  That was just the top cylinder.  YIPE

youch! the stealership wont see me, except at the parts counter, and thats bad enough. share your experience with us, when your chain let go. you may have posted at that time, but i've slept since then, so i dont remember it.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #13 - 11/30/06 at 18:17:03

I've got 21K on mine. Don't know for sure but I assume the cam chain is the original. Are there any heavy-duty aftermarket choices here or are we limited to the OEM part?

How 'bout a survey? What mileage did everyone have to replace theirs at and did it break or did you just replace it during maintenance?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 11/30/06 at 20:39:04

That survey took place a few weeks ago in another thread.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:03:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › popped the cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.