Send Topic Print
high miler? (Read 5 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

high miler?
11/27/06 at 02:01:59

I have a 02 Savage. It has almost 25,000 miles on it. Put almost 11,000 on it just this year. I have always changed the oil every 1,000 miles or so, have absoultly no oil leaks, the header pipe is still a nice bright chrome, no discoloration at all. The bike looks every bit as good as the day it left the show room floor. Most people think its a new bike.
I see from everyones posts in here that your bikes have far fewer miles than mine and some are years older.
My question is, is this too many miles for me to plan another cross country trip on this single cylinder? I felt secure on my trip this spring cause it only had a little under 13,000 miles on it when I left. It had more than 19,000 on it when I returned home. This year I want to ride north from Oregon, ride across Canada, drop down  the east coast and tour some civil war battlefields.  I have checked out alot of new bikes, and frankly, I had so much fun on my Savage, and it was so dependable, that I decided that if I purchase a new bike, its going to be another Savage. Im just not sure if its time yet! This one seems to be holding up quite well! But I surley wouldnt want it breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. is this getting to be a high mile bike that I should consider trading it in or you think I have alot more miles left on it without a lot of major repair?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: high miler?
Reply #1 - 11/27/06 at 06:24:48

At those miles - actually engine hours with a long trip planned I'd replace the cam chain and it's worn componets - adjuster and guide. Of course check the brakes and lube all the moving parts on the frame, adjust this and that - if it's running fine, not makeing unexpected sounds, clutch doesn't slip - I'd go it.

On the '95 higher miles produced this belt - but knowing  it was like that let me pick up a near new one on ebay for cheap after a month or so of checking:

Next, the front drive pulley was not torqued properly and wore the teeth to a point:

Instead of these:

Of course anything can leave you in the middle of nowhere new or not, bike or not.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 11/27/06 at 06:25:43

i haven't experienced it YET! but you're right in the "end of cam chain life" mileage as it has been repeatedly reported here. you might consider a new chain and adjuster or a new bike before your next tour.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 11/27/06 at 21:08:40

If you are putting a lot of miles on your machine, do not use petrolium oils. Use only synthetic oil. The best is Amsoil, the lesser choice is Mobile 1. There are no other pure synthetics. Don't use petrolium oils! Go to the websites and read.

If you are going for long trips, you need a more comfortable bike. Sell this one and look at the higher end Suzukis, or look at  a 1200cc Sportster.

The LS650/S40 is a great local travel bike, but my tushy can't take it for long runs.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/28/06 at 03:20:58

Im taking your advice. I guess Im going to replace the cam chain and parts whether it needs it or not. All this cam chain talk has got me scared of going very far. And Geo, maybe my bike fits me well, Im only 5'6" and 150 lbs. I rode it across 11 states, logging up to 500 miles on some days and was more refreshed at the end of the day than my partner on his Kawasaki police cruiser. Granted , a bit bigger bike would be better for this long of a trip, but this bike thinks its bigger than it actually is.
(ps) I think i can almost take aprt and assemble my bike blindfolded now. Except for the engine and the darn carberator. Ill probably have the dealer do the cam chain replacment. think Ill have to sell my house to pay the bill?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 11/28/06 at 07:17:19

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If you are putting a lot of miles on your machine, do not use petrolium oils. Use only synthetic oil. The best is Amsoil, the lesser choice is Mobile 1. There are no other pure synthetics. Don't use petrolium oils! Go to the websites and read.

If you are going for long trips, you need a more comfortable bike. Sell this one and look at the higher end Suzukis, or look at  a 1200cc Sportster.

The LS650/S40 is a great local travel bike, but my tushy can't take it for long runs.

There are other pure synthetics.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 19:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › high miler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.