Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The continuing story of Mr. Hyde (Read 22 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
The continuing story of Mr. Hyde
11/25/06 at 15:26:58

I've been off the Savage for the last few months.  But I think it's been time well spent.  So, for your amusement, here's the newly roadworthy Mr. Hyde.

The peanut tank is still there, obviously.  The sissybar has a large peace sign on the top of it, the pillion is (to be perefctly honest) nearly worthless, and I don't currently hav the apehangers on it (I had to get it inspected).  But there's the basics of Mr. Hyde mk. II.  

Hopefully I'll eventually take a picture at a time other than sunset...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Re: The continuing story of Mr. Hyde
Reply #1 - 11/26/06 at 02:44:11

Realy nice job, Im looking foreward to see it with ape hangers  Cheesy
The peanut tank looks nice on it, what did you do with the speedometer, is it mounted on the right hand side, and could you use the stock cable !

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 11/26/06 at 03:14:10

That peanut tank looks awesome on the Savage!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/26/06 at 08:13:17

Nice looking. I see all the ways the dedicated LS 650 riders have modified these bikes & haven't seen one I didn't like. I think I want another one.

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/27/06 at 09:06:24

I like it. Where did you get the seats?

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #5 - 11/27/06 at 11:58:47

To answer a few questions:

The speedometer is the cheapest one JC Whitney sells (at least at the time I bought it).  I bolted it to a piece of steel and bolted the piece of steel to the tank mount.  It's the stock speedometer cable.  Which is actually how that arrangement came about: I didn't want to deal with replacing the speedo cable, so I moved the speedometer to where the cable would reach it.

The seats were bought off ebay.  It took me a while to find the white pillion pad for a price I would pay.  I think the front cost me $30, and the rear cost me $20.

I like the tank...but it was a real bugger to work with.  The paint refused to come out the same color as the fender/side covers, and positioniing it was a nightmare.  It needed to be way forward for the fuel line to clear the frame, but way back to clear the handlebar risers.  Solution: Move it back to avoid the handlebars and jack up the back about an inch to make room for the fuel line.  Trial and error all over the place with that one.

The other small detail that I like the way it turned out is at the back of the bike.  The turn signal stems actually serve as the bolts holding the rear of the sissybar in place.  It makes for a nice, neat, tucked in look.  Probably my favorite part of the bike, in an odd sort of way.

And yes Vroom, I left the reflectors on Wink

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 11/27/06 at 15:34:47

Im impressed with your resoursefullness. The speedo placement works and I kind of like the clean look on the handlebars. Are you using the factory shocks??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #7 - 11/27/06 at 19:19:40

Yup, those are the stock shocks.

vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 11/28/06 at 10:08:14

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
And yes Vroom, I left the reflectors on Wink

First thing I noticed!

Looks real good, though!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #9 - 11/28/06 at 10:43:58

Very sharp bike!! i am new to this sight, but have a few
years of of riding(40+). I love 60's style bikes and you have nailed it , Nice job!!! Can't wait to see it with the apes back on.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #10 - 11/29/06 at 15:33:26

Thanks for the comment!  I was aiming for a "vintage" look to it.  I'm eagerly awaiting having someone ask me how old it is.  At that point I'll know I did the job correctly.

sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 11/29/06 at 16:25:37

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks for the comment!  I was aiming for a "vintage" look to it.  I'm eagerly awaiting having someone ask me how old it is.  At that point I'll know I did the job correctly.

you will never get that comment as long as those darned reflectors are on it.  Grin Grin  "60's bikes don't need no stinking reflectors".  it's the little details that makes the difference between a "good looking" bike, and a "great looking bike"  i would move the light off the fender also.

i recently stopped at a store, a guy looked at it and said "i haven't seen one of those in a long time". i didn't have the heart to say "dude you've never saw one of these" i went with   ain't it kewl  smilled and walked away, when i came out, he was still admiring it.

i decided to highlight the lines on thumper rather than change them radically.  something like this, ok i'll post a picture on a moments notice. you've got to admit  those are some pretty sweet lines.  

now don't get me wrong, i like what you have done it shows how we all have different tastes.  nothing like doing it yourself,  anybody can swipe a credit card to buy something, it's a whole different story when you do it yourself.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 11/29/06 at 16:33:58

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
you will never get that comment as long as those darned reflectors are on it.  Grin Grin  "60's bikes don't need no stinking reflectors".  it's the little details that makes the difference between a "good looking" bike, and a "great looking bike"  i would move the light off the fender also.

better get rid of that front brake too!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 11/29/06 at 16:38:01

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
better get rid of that front brake too!   Roll Eyes

i may be stupid but i ain't dumb.  Shocked   brake stays...

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #14 - 11/30/06 at 09:33:06

That's the great thing about this particular forum.  Everyone is free to share their ideas, and none of get our feelings hurt!

I thought about taking the light off the fender, I really did.  But I have this thing about trying to keep everything centered as much as possible...I don't know why really, but it's always there in my head.

For that matter, I briefly considered taking the front brake off and working a brakeless 21" wheel onto the front.  Then common sense kicked in.

Still some things I'd like to change at some point, of course.  But what's the point in having a bike that you're totally finished with?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 07:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The continuing story of Mr. Hyde

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.