Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportster Seat/Dyna Muffler (Read 10 times)
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Sportster Seat/Dyna Muffler
11/20/06 at 15:22:39

Has anyone bought these mods on eBay? If so, what's the chance of scanning the instruction sheets?

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Sportster Seat/Dyna Muffler
Reply #1 - 11/20/06 at 19:36:29

Check out the tech section for instructions to install a Sportster muffler.  

Then call the local Harley dealer and ask if they have any Sportster or Dyna muffler "take-offs".  Those are the mufflers they took off when HD owners upgraded to different mufflers.

I found a really nice Dyna muffler at the HD dealer. It was marked for use with a FXD 1340/1450. They had Sportster mufflers, too.  They would sell any of them for $20.

Be sure to ask for on that has no crossover. That's a small fitting on the top or bottom of the muffler that attaches to the other muffler of the pair. I think that means the muffler had to be made for the 2003 or older model.  If you get one with a crossover, you'll have a hole in the muffler.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/06 at 19:38:33

I've been reading this site for a few days now & there are several threads on seat & exhaust mods. The search option ( next to the "magnifying glass" icon upper central on the front page, will help ya find them.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 11/21/06 at 05:16:26

Gulfstream wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Has anyone bought these mods on eBay? If so, what's the chance of scanning the instruction sheets?

i bought the sportster seat mod from kwik bay, it came with a set of instructions. they were/are kinda hard to read, and see the pics, as they're not great photo copies. i opted to build my own, which i documented in the tech section. i can find the origional instructions and fax them, but i dont have scan capabilities.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/24/06 at 06:45:09

Question,

My wife wants a new muffler on her Savage. Is the Dyna muffler considerably louder than the stock muffler? She has a 2006 S40.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 11/24/06 at 08:43:41

I think the Dyna muffler is a little louder than the stock muffler, but I have never measured it.  I doubt anyone has measure how loud any of these mufflers are, but some people have experience with several different mufflers and might give you some valuable subjective .  

The Dyna and Sportster mufflers are stock on those motorcycles and are certified to meet noise restrictions on those motorcycles.  I think this is 80 decibels.  Of course, I guess that's meaningless when the muffler is installed on the Savage.

Anyway, the best thing about Dyna and Sportster mufflers is they are widely available at HD dealers as take-offs for a reasonable price.  

IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/06 at 09:57:33

I have Cobra pipes on my Sabre and the best thing I like about them is I can get peoples attention if they're not paying attention. I not looking for something ear-shattering but anything that's louder would be an advantage.

Thanks so much!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/06 at 10:24:18

I am guessing it is getting late in the game for finding a muffler without the crossover. Is the hole in a place it wont hide? Can I get it welded up? Will it mess the whole muffler up to weld/ braze it? I guess I could wrap the muffler in wet rags except for the place to weld, to keep the heat from bluing the chrome??

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 11/24/06 at 11:21:59

I'm sure you could have the crossover welded up, but I don't think it's too late to find a Sportster or Dyna muffler without a crossover.  There's lots of the mufflers around. Check with your local HD dealer.  If you can't find one there, check ebay - lots of them listed there.

IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #9 - 11/24/06 at 13:41:28

It should be no problem finding a Dyna muffler, I used one off of my 05 Dyna Superglide. The Dyna's crossover tube is in the headpipe, not the muffler...unless that changed with the 07 models but I highly doubt it. Can't speak for the Sportster mufflers. Any model Dyna muffler from 99 on should work.

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/24/06 at 13:50:12

Okay, thanks for the info. Just called a Harley shop & they hauled off 3 truckloads of takeoff mufflers to a junkyard a week ago. What? No "Crying" emoticon?? I NEED one,,, Thers another opne that told me to call next week cuz they are sooo busy after Thanksgiving..

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 11/24/06 at 15:54:53

Here's a picture of a Dyna muffler, not sure what year.  Note it has an adapter in the inlet.

And here's a picture of a pair of 2005 Sportster mufflers.  The fitting on top of the inlet is the crossover. You DO NOT want the mufflers with a crossover.

IP Logged
dypyz0
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/20/06 at 17:26:25

Got one on E-Bay, Look under S40 exhaust. I bought two and selling the other one, easy to install. Also picture of my bike with the muffler on it. Brad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster Seat/Dyna Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.