Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DOT 5.5 brake fluid (Read 2 times)
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
DOT 5.5 brake fluid
11/17/06 at 19:17:57

I just read about DOT 5.5 brake fluid in a magazine. Never heard of it before but they said it doesn't absorb water (unlike DOT 3 & 4) yet it doesn't eat seals or expand when hot (unlike DOT 5 silicone fluid) It's also compatible with DOT 3 & 4. Anyone heard of it? Just wondering because I'll be bleeding my brake soon & I may as well put in this new stuff, if it's really any better.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: DOT 5.5 brake fluid
Reply #1 - 11/17/06 at 20:20:32

Nothing on DOT's website.  Nothing I could find in the news.  Given that "news" and magazines generally get things wrong I would check the magazine for any authorative references that may be checked.  Probably none.  Without seeing the article I would hazard a guess that they are reporting some manufacturer's over-hyped product.

Unless you have a problem with seals being eaten or water absorbtion or boiling or anything else -- why switch from a known standard that works and which the bike was designed to use, to something new and untried?

Cutting edge technology often results in blood loss.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 11/17/06 at 21:38:22

Unless I am way off, they are referring to an ancient formula... Castrol GTX LMA. It is made for English cars with real rubber seals. You can buy it at Autozone (sometimes) or via any British car/motorcycle dealer. All I use in the Anglia and the bikes. I get mine at GI Joes or a vintage car parts store (parts on the shelf for 1909 and up).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #3 - 11/18/06 at 04:36:15

I agree with Palladin.  No sense changing to a new product when the old product works well.

I also agree with WD, the Castrol LMA brake fluid works well. I've used it for several years in my cars.   Never had a problem with it.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 11/18/06 at 04:40:02

The inability to absorb water is not necessarily a good thing.  Standard brake fluid absorbs water intentionally to ensure a water bubble doesn't form in your brakes, then freeze and disable your brakes.  It can also flash-boil when hot and lock them up when you don't want them to.  Water is also the ONLY cause for rust in brake parts and brake lines which is a VERY bad thing.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 11/18/06 at 10:15:42

barry68v10,

Most brake fluids will absorb water, even from the air. That's why you need to toss unused brake fluid and change it out every couple of years.

Castrol LMA absorbs water at a slower rate.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/20/06 at 08:34:14

Stick w/ the 4.0 or 5.0.  If change grades, make sure you get all the old stuff out.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 11/20/06 at 10:53:37

DOT 3, DOT 4 and LMA will readily mix together, without problems. DOT 5 will turn into gum if it comes in contact with the others. IF you want to run DOT 5 you need to flush the entire system with denatured alcohol. You can buy it in the paint section of Wal-mart for a couple dollars. Unless you have a multi-layer custom lacquer paint job, you don't need to run DOT 5 in a Savage. The front brake works poorly enough already... Roll Eyes
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:43:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DOT 5.5 brake fluid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!