Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rattle (Read 8 times)
SavageBeast
Ex Member

Rattle
08/17/06 at 22:12:27

I am a new (happy) Savage owner and quickly realized you do HAVE to love the bike for all it little quirks! I can live with "the leak" for now, though it is getting worse.  I like to see my engines from the outside, not the inside.  Taking it apart scares me...I'm trying to build courage, need some time...oh it's getting hot in here...   Tongue

Anyway, my actual question:  I have noticed that there is a definate rattle that occurs 5 minutes + after starting and is loudest in the mid-high range, though after very warm, you can even hear it on idle.  it is rather constant, doesn't get "faster" as the throttle increases, it is a 97 with just 3000 miles, I know it sat for many years and except for a needed carb cleaning it runs fine.  From what I have read it is most likely a rattle from the cam chain, aside from taking the head off is there any other way to know for sure? (I am breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about taking it apart)  I can tell you it is internal and assume it can be only that or valve clearance, but I have read the clearance adjustment tech stuff for 2 hours and I just don't get the process...it's a bit over my head.  I really like the bike and I can live with noises, just don't want to do damage and have to scrap an otherwise good bike with only 3,000 miles!

Clearly Im no tech guru, can someone help me with some baby steps.  I'm thinking if it is the chain and already have the leak I should just suck it up, pay lots of money have a PRO take the head off and fix both problems, get the bill, cry like a man, and get riding!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Rattle
Reply #1 - 08/18/06 at 03:13:29

Wow, I'm surprised your '97 has developed the dreaded head-plug leak at only 3000 miles!?
The rattle (is it more like a buzz?) could be the infamous LS650 speedometer rattle ... mine does it from time-to-time ... a bit of a rattle-like buzz at certain RPM's ... I know this is it 'cause when I press the palm of my hand firmly on the speedo, the noise vanishes!
There is a fix for this, which is documented on this Site somewhere ... since I know what the noise is, I just tend to ignore it ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #2 - 08/18/06 at 06:32:45

I had what I thought was a speedometer rattle, but it turned out to be a gas cap rattle.

I cut an O-ring out of a sheet of rubber, popped it on top of the existing rubber ring on the inside of the gas cap and problem solved.

Could your rattle be a gas cap rattle?

Sorry, I can't help with the head-plug leak...  Sad

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/18/06 at 07:21:19

I've had a headlight rattle before.  A rag inside the headlight housing cured that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/06 at 11:55:14

I have the speedo and head light rattle,and the other day my exhaust clamp shield started.Headlight and shield are easy fix's.Gotta love the speedo buzz,it'll most likely always be there! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SavageBeast
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/06 at 16:38:01

Thank you for all the suggestions!  I know it is not the Speedo, I read about it all the time, but I haven't heard that yet.  I've pressed down on it so hard, thought I'd dent the gas tank, still there.  I can only tell it is coming from below the tank.  Tried the exhast guard - VERY tight.  Sounds a lot more metallic than a headlight assembly rattle, though I'll take another look.  well, maybe just let it go until it gets worse, or someone hears it and can tell what it is.

As for the leak, I've resolved to try just taking off the tank and tightening everything.  It is kind of nuts to go at such low mileage.  I just wish by the late 90's they could have corrected the obvious problem.  Maybe when I take the tank off I'll find that one of the (plastic) head guards is loose or something and that is causing the rattle.

While I'm already here, let me ask another quick question.  If the back fire problem is usually attributed to running too lean, why does everyone play around so much with the carb when there is an air/fuel screw (and how do you take that little cover off it??).  Can that alone ease the problem?  I subscribe to the "If it's not broke don't fix it, school".  Rather not take the carb apart if there is an easier solution.  I just don't get it.
(again, I'm new to all this, don't mean to annoy the veterans!)

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 08/18/06 at 20:49:42

My 96 didn't develop the plug leak until about 20, 000 miles and the cam chain didn't show up until 26K or so . I sued a mechanics stethoscope to cofirm the ralttle was inside the Right (sitting on the bike) case cover and was glad I did not wait longer to look into it. The plunger in the tensioner should have fallen out miles ago dropping the spring into the primary gear area ruining who knows what. When you hear it it is time to fix it. I think your mileage is low for it being your rattle though, have you adjusted the valves yet to eliminate them? The plug leak could come from many heating and cooling cycles from short trips so Id fix it. Takes about 3 hrs and there is a really good write up of the task in the tech section. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/19/06 at 17:57:56

My plug leak was somehwere between 3k and 4k miles.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 08/19/06 at 19:38:18

Bought my 96 with 3K on it. Had to do the plug leak fix right after that, after reading about it here. Go figure  Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 08/19/06 at 20:20:02

Same here, bought my 96 with 6K on it. Plug leak started pretty soon.
A pilot friend told me "It doesn't really leak, it just marks its territory."

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/19/06 at 21:06:16

SavageBeast! Put your right leg/heel on the exhaust. If the noise shuts up, then you have the same problem that I had. Some washers around the muffler mounting helped.
Also it might be the chrome cover on the cylinder head, try tightening the nuts.

IP Logged
SavageBeast
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/19/06 at 21:15:46

I see many had this problem at such low mileage.  Well tonight I took off the gas tank.  First step is done, tomorrow I will go to the bike shop and see if they can help me with the stuff I'll need, mainly hope.  Anyway, I might as well give it a shot.  Others have done and I'll do my best.  I'll be able to poke around the chain also when I'm in there.  Anyone have pictures of what I should be looking for?  If it is what's rattling, would there be some noticable slack?  Of the pictures I have seen, I can not tell what the "tensioner" is...I believe it has a spring??  Any advise, and encouragement would help  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 08/19/06 at 21:31:26

Look in he tech section for information on removing the heaad cover and replacing the plug. It would be unusual for a shop to have any of the parts in stock, so I don't stop riding until I have all the parts in hand and feel they are the correct ones and all I'll need. Better to have a couple extra items than miss a week or 10 days of riding weather. Max

IP Logged
SavageBeast
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/20/06 at 14:16:59

Max_Morley, thanks for the advise.  I am willing to trade a few days of riding though, I am the type that likes to do things slowly as to not overwhelm myself, plus I don't know all what I will need to complete it.  For starters, didn't have all the basic tools I thought I'd need, so went out today to expand my metric toolbox.  Tommorrow I'll order the plug and o-ring and that will give me time to get the head cover off.  I know I'll be transferring this thread to tech as I'm just waiting to hit a snag.  One of which I can already see, like how there can possibly be enough room to slide the cover over the inverted upper left bolt.  That suker is probably 2 inches and there is minimal frame clearance.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 08/21/06 at 09:19:10

Pnce the nut is loose you will have to hold the head of the bolts to complete the process and it falls out of the way. Don't forget to preplace on reassembly as It seems to me it isn't wasy to do after the cover is back in place. Max

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:32:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.