Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Squealing brakes (Read 15 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Squealing brakes
11/17/06 at 08:39:24

A couple weeks ago it was raining a lot, and after riding around in it for a few days, I noticed that the front brake started squeeling when I braked.  It's a '97 with 2800 miles on it, so I assume that the brake pads aren't worn out. My guess was that some dirt or sludge or whatever had gotten lodged in the front brake pad in all the rain. A week later, it was still doing it, so I bought some brake cleaner/lubricant spray and sprayed out the whole thing, making sure it didn't drip on the tire. That fixed it for about a day, but then it started up again. I repeated that a few times. I still have plenty of braking power, but the squealing is really annoying, so I'd like to fix it. Any ideas, guys?

Oh, also, when I shift to first or to second, a lot of times it won't engage. When I try to shift, it feels like I'm trying to press something into a spinning gear, and it just doesn't want to slide in. Third and fourth gear are fine, as is shifting into neutral. Also, sometimes when I down shift into first, it won't shift at all until I release the clutch a little. Usually I squeeze the clutch all the way when I shift.  I asked about this before and someone said something about turning a bolt a couple splines, but I couldn't figure out what that meant.

Thanks guys, you're all awesome. You, a set of wrenches and a little duct tape are what keep me and my pretty little LS650 rolling.

IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Re: Squealing brakes
Reply #1 - 11/17/06 at 11:41:43

Yes I have the same problem, really loud screeching...haven't really tried to fix it though Roll Eyes.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 11/17/06 at 12:49:45

Same problem here.  Good break performance and long pad life generally means squeeky brakes, especially on economy built brake assemblies.  I have a 1998 with 1400 miles on it.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/17/06 at 14:53:43

Break pads are cheap enough to replace,takes about 30 minutes.problem solved

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 11/17/06 at 15:32:57

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Break pads are cheap enough to replace,takes about 30 minutes.problem solved

i tried 6 differant companys of pads and they all squeak, get a wave or drilled rotor and it will stop,but u really dont need to use front brakes on the savage ,unless you have to do a brake test Wink  and on your clutch,look for the round screw to the right of the clutch handle,unscrew it untill your clutch handle has only a little bit of play.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #5 - 11/17/06 at 23:11:19

I am with the rest of you.  My 2006 S40 also has a squeeky front brake.  It isn't all the time, but about half the time it will squeek.  It has about 1900 miles on it and it has done the squeeky think since about 600 miles.  It has plenty of braking power, so I think it is just one of the many little quirks the Savage/S40 has.  The only bad thing about it, is when you are in traffic riding this sharp looking bike that has caught many eyes and you go to stop and they hear that squeeking.
Embarrassed

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 11/18/06 at 10:27:50

The brakes on my Savage squeal a bit now and then.  I don't worry about it much, but my understanding (from car experience) is that brakes squeal because the pads are moving in the caliper.  

It's the metal of the backing pad rubbing on the caliper that causes the squeal.  The cure is to use some disc brake anti-squeal compound where the surfaces contact. I use anti-sieze compound on the backs and sliding surfaces of the pads.  You have to be careful not to get the stuff on the friction surfaces.  Don't do it if you are not certain where to put the compound.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/18/06 at 10:48:06

So it's either just a savage thing, or try the anti-seize compound. Think I might try the anti-seize stuff this winter. I'm trying to do a handlebar mod now.

Have to agree with firsts40. It's great having a sharp looking bike but when a girl's riding on the back of it, you don't want to have problems shifting into first or have her asking if the squealing is you!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 11/18/06 at 12:08:35

Yes some anti-squeal on the back of the pads helps - takes about 5 mins to do

the other thing that helps is to light sand the rotor with some 400-600 grit paper

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #9 - 11/18/06 at 18:54:58

My 06 I got 5 1/2 mo's ago has squealed from day one. I have 3000 mi on it. When I researched it before I bought it I had found that to be a comman problem. I have not tried the anti-squeal compound, have seen it around and have wondered about it. Think I might give it a try. Always having people asking what that squeal is.
As far as the shifting, has it done it from day one, or just somewhat recent like it might be starting to go out of adjustment?

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 11/19/06 at 05:18:32

i haven't looked for it in quite a while, but the auto parts stores used to sell "disc brake quiet" or some name to that effect. it is basically a silicone type material, similar to gasket stuff, that you apply to the back of the disc pads, but specifically formulated to deal with pressure being applied by the calipers. i just bought a new set of rear pads for debby's harley and they squeal, so i'll be going to look for that stuff, i'll let y'all know what i find. her suzuki squeals the rear brake, the front is quiet   ???  

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/19/06 at 18:09:52

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i tried 6 differant companys of pads and they all squeak, get a wave or drilled rotor and it will stop,but u really dont need to use front brakes on the savage ,unless you have to do a brake test Wink  and on your clutch,look for the round screw to the right of the clutch handle,unscrew it untill your clutch handle has only a little bit of play.

What kind of motor cyclist are you torque? don't need to use the front brake ?? wow ! I wonder why they put two huge disc brakes on the front and a single small one on the rear of big race bikes,your front brake is your main sauce of stopping power on a bike,a slightly different tecnique for wet conditions,but your front brake is the man ,so to speak

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 11/20/06 at 08:44:31

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
her suzuki squeals the rear brake, the front is quiet   ???  

had a pretty good squeal on the back of the '95 - I replace the oem with ebc's cleaned all the dust out of the drum and did a light sand with 600grit - nat a sound since

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 11/20/06 at 10:18:12

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
had a pretty good squeal on the back of the '95 - I replace the oem with ebc's cleaned all the dust out of the drum and did a light sand with 600grit - nat a sound since

Planning on doing mine sometime soon, mostly to get a really good look at 'em.  The external wear indicator always seems to indicate they have forever to go.  I must admit I use the front more than the back but I just want to check out the pads for myself.  When I do, I'll put ceramics on front and back both.  I haven't looked in the manual or really looked that closely at the wheel itself yet but I'm assuming it'll mean pulling the rear wheel to access the pads.  Is that correct?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/20/06 at 11:29:30

Yes, you have to pull the whell to acces the rear brake.
Pretty straight forward, I did it without looking at the manual.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:28:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squealing brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.