Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shut down at a stop sign & no crank,,, (Read 3 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Shut down at a stop sign & no crank,,,
11/21/06 at 19:43:33

Came flying up on a stop sign not all that long after pulling the brass cap from the idle mix? screw & adjusting same & the flippin thing coughed & shut off. Not new, really. Quick release throttle & & hard braking have killed it before. It was running really well & was warmed up after about 20 miles. The adjustment was, turn it in to make sure I couldn't get it worse than the factory. It was out a whole 1/2 turn. Rode a bit to warm it up. Started backing the screw out till the idle maxed out. Screwed it in till it started to slow a bit & back out till it peaked again. Called that good considering the main jet & exhaust are still stock. SOO! The question is, Why did the thing shut off? Kickstand interlock? Clutch switch? It wouldn't turn over at the stopsign. I checked the killswitch, it was set to run. I turned the motor over by putting it in 5th & rolling it so I knew it wasn't the engine. After I tried running with it & jumping on in 5th( which did not even come CLOSE to working, LOL)  I hit the starter & VOILA! It cranked!
( I tried the starter numerous times before running with it & I poked the kickstand switch &  messed with the microswitch under the clutch pivot, NOTHING!)

I don't see how it could be the adjustment on the carb.It ran too well for too long to make me think that was it. Suggestions?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Shut down at a stop sign & no crank,,,
Reply #1 - 11/21/06 at 19:54:06

Did you have any problems before you adjusted the carb?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/21/06 at 20:02:47

Nope, Just the typical Bakkfire stuff. Now it runs a bunch better. Only 1 time has it stopped & failed to crank.Today. The time between the adjustment & the problem makes me think they are not related. I rode over 20 miles after the adjustment before the "No Crank" & the starter didn't click or anything. Then it just started like nothing ever happened. I think it's magic. like eloctrenics! Wuhhh? Electronics...

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 11/21/06 at 20:04:35

Could it be a loose battery connection or other electrical problems?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/21/06 at 20:18:15

Hmmm, COULD it be? I spose it could, but when it's an intermittent problem & only happened once it is tuff to narrow down the culprit. I ( really) wish you hadn't askedTHAT cuz I hadn't even considered it till you did. Now I am forced to. So, the list of potential problems are , Clutch switch, kickstand interlock, battery connections, I guess Starter? too?  When it started there was no hesitancy, like clicking & dropping the starter out. just cranked & fired up like normal. It was totally dead, no crank, no click, horn worked, lights on, neutral light on. Everything LOOKED fine, just no joy.  Does that help? I am totally baffled. That is worse that partially baffled I spose. Thanks for the ideas.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 11/21/06 at 20:25:39

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you said that it didn't crank.  Obviously, adjusting the carb shouldn't keep the engine from cranking. I can't see how it could be anything but electrical.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/21/06 at 20:32:16

MMMkay Steve, I can only agree, But now how do I decide what to look at? maybe just bypass the kickstand switch & clutch switch & neutral switch?  What else is there? I pulled the battery about 1000 miles ago.Filled & charged & reinstalled, (cleaned connections & I have experience so I doubt I did it wrong, but human & anything is possible, excluding being rich, famous & good looking)

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 11/21/06 at 20:53:01

Well, You really should check the battery connections.  Could be they are loose.  If that was the problem, the lights would have been dead, too.

I think it's more likely that one of the switches are the problem.  It could be real difficult to chase down a problem that rarely occurs.  

You might try "exercising" the switched parts one at a time and then hitting the starter. The kickstand switch seems to be more of a problem than the others because it's exposed. Moving that up an down when the problem occurs might tell you the kickstand switch is the problem. There's also a neutral switch in the transmission, so try shifting it into neutral a few times. Move the clutch lever back and forth. And cycle the kill switch a few times.  

Other than that, you'll have a tough time testing a component with an intermittent failure.   Of course, you could just throw parts at the problem, but that is expensive.  

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 11/21/06 at 21:01:12

If you didn't even get a click (the decompression solenoid clicks) but the lights and such were on the battery seems ok - might want to remove the seat and make sure all the connectors are together proper, next on the list would be the interlock switches with the kickstand switch first on the list of a problem child

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 11/21/06 at 21:02:53

If you have the Clymer manual handy, take a look at the wiring schematic for the one that apply to your beast. Start out from the battery and see what is the next connection down the line. Check for operational condition on each component to see if they operate properly with and Ohm meter. I HATE TROUBLESHOOTING ELECTRIC PROBLEM but that is how I do it on the airplane. It's is PITA but doable, just take time. Good luck Dude  :'(

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/21/06 at 21:08:25

Thanks Steve, I spose there's just no real straight answer. Just gonna have to work it out. I will look at posts on bypassing switches. I know I have seen one that details most of them. Hope I can find it.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 11/21/06 at 21:20:01

Yea, I'm afraid there's no easy answer as far as I know.  

Of course, you could just wait until it fails.  

Good Luck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/21/06 at 21:30:14

Reelthing, If the kickstand or clutch switch didn't tell the starter to start, would the decompression solenoid fire?

sAVAGEdUDE. i HAVE A sUZUKI SHOP MANUAL. HAVEN'T LOOKE IN IT YETAARRGH danged cap lock button! sorry. Is that as good as the Clymers?  I have an Ohm meter, used to work on cash registers & copiers, I don't like electrical probs eother, especially intermittent ones.

Okay folks, I tried the search for Bypass safety interlock switches & did not get the comprehensive link I read a day or so ago. Whoever did that work could y6ou send me to it? I will just bypass the clutch & kickstand switches & whatever you folks think I will just bypass & not worry about any goofy gremlin filled switches,,Thanks all!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 11/21/06 at 21:50:56

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Reelthing, If the kickstand or clutch switch didn't tell the starter to start, would the decompression solenoid fire?

don't believe it can,  the interlocks are all in series with a timer (forget how long and no shop manual at the beach Smiley ) in the decompress module - so you get a click and a pause before the engine spins

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/21/06 at 22:06:11

Okay, I think I know how I would like to proceed.

I would appreciate it if anyone could find the link to a post that covered ( I guess) all switches that could be bypassed. I saw it, I read it, along with a few days worth of reading. Now, I wish I had bookmarked it,, HMMM wait a SECOND! Nope, I only bookmarked carb stuff. Owell, if anyone can find the post that covers bypassing the various switches I would appreciate a link to it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shut down at a stop sign & no crank,,,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.