Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anti Chopper (Read 15 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Anti Chopper
11/15/06 at 23:40:14

Any of you master mechanics know of a frame that the savage engine will drop into.
My bike is in my living room for the winter,and the more I look at it the more I don't like the angle of the forks,looks like a half chopper,and there is nothing I dislike more than a bike with the front wheel in another zip code,I would like to shorten my wheel base by about 6 to 8 inches,any ideas?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Anti Chopper
Reply #1 - 11/16/06 at 04:11:31

One of the earlier versions of the Savage, the 400cc engine I believe, had a regular street bike look to it vs the cruiser look.  I cannot remember which specific model it was, but someone here will know.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/16/06 at 05:27:35

Let us know if you find a workable frame. This is a mod I'm also interested in. I lean more Royal Enfield than Orange County Chopper as to style. I like twisty roads & comfortable ergonomics too, so the chopper thing doesn't suit me, though that thumper motor is a jewel.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 11/16/06 at 05:30:18

Not to be picky but wouldn't an anti-chop be pure stock?

More to your question though, I think raising the back with higher shocks changed that look somewhat... but maybe not enough for your aesthetics.  Take a look at the pics below.  Upper is before and lower is after.  (Just ignore the differences with the toolbag and ammo box).  I think the changed angle seems to shorten the appearance.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/16/06 at 08:33:38

yes I like the look,the shocks look the same,how did you raise them?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 11/16/06 at 08:37:22

The other bike referenced was called a Tempter and it later came in the 650 version, before ending up with a twin in it. Try 97 Tempter in the search feature. I'd love to have one of those !! Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/16/06 at 09:55:42

I put 12" shocks off a suzuki intruder 800.  Bolt up perfect.  Makes a more standard look, same as  "savage_rob".  
If you go to 12"s,  you must remove or modify the front end of the beltgaurd to prevent rubbing the front pulley.  Also  changes the oil level in the sight glass, and the reserve level in the gas tank.  Much more cushion in the ride though with the extra travel.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/16/06 at 10:05:17

The bike looks WAY better, to me anyway, with the back raised up.  Very nice mod.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 11/16/06 at 10:39:09

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
yes I like the look,the shocks look the same,how did you raise them?

I replaced the stock shocks with 12.5" Progressive shocks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 11/16/06 at 13:33:01

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Any of you master mechanics know of a frame that the savage engine will drop into....

AFAICT, the Tempter was only sold in Japan.  Threezukes was posting from Japan, but hasn't been heard of since May and hid his e-mail address.  Given the occasional Savage frame showing up on e-bay I would imagine that an occasional Tempter frame would show up in Japan.  Chain drive, Drum front brake, but those can be changed.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 11/16/06 at 15:49:21

That Tempter is a beautiful lookin' Bike ... and if any of you Americans have any friends/relatives stationed in Okinawa, I'll bet you could have one of them obtain a used Tempter for ya and have 'er shipped over?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 11/16/06 at 16:57:02

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
http://savage.andruschak.net/tempter/Image3.jpg
AFAICT, the Tempter was only sold in Japan.  Threezukes was posting from Japan, but hasn't been heard of since May and hid his e-mail address.  Given the occasional Savage frame showing up on e-bay I would imagine that an occasional Tempter frame would show up in Japan.  Chain drive, Drum front brake, but those can be changed.

in the early 80's suzki did offer a machine very simular to the tempter in the US. it was called a gn 400 and i rode one for 98,000 miles before i screwed up and blew it up.  that's the same muffler as mine, engine very much the same,  fjront brakes were disk though.  i loved that machine.  i'll try to round up a photo.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 11/16/06 at 21:28:56

The whole reason I modified mine was initially to close up the fender gap. I have a Rebel fender on the rear, still looks a bit "off". With the struts, it should be getting a full(er) fender. I just don't like the chopper/bobber standard "bobtail" look. Even my Vulcan 800A is getting a fuller rear fender (stock tail light looks like a baboon's behind).  Tongue

Fork gaiters (Norton spec) help minimize the rake (visually).  Swapping the fenders for fuller coverage ones is easy, and fairly inexpensive.  Clubman bars and a bikini fairing would also seriously change the bike's lines, making it look more compact. Heck, toss an 18 inch rear hoop on it, some dual sport tires, a high pipe, Kawasaki W1 or W2-SS fuel tank and make yourself a TT replica. Haven't seen that one done, yet... WW2 R.A.F. BSA 500 tribute bike... Possibilities are endless...  8)

I like a traditional late 1940s to early 1960s look best. Bobber, cafe racer, touring bagger, as long as the front end isn't raked out to some outlandish degree/length. I've been customizing bikes since 1987, thought 1970s "cartoon" caricture choppers were goofy looking then, still do. What do I know though? I'm just a "kid" (at age 34).  Cheesy
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/16/06 at 23:27:27

I love the look of the "Tempter" I even like the drum brake,probably as good as the feeble disc brake on the Savage.
My nephew looks like he might get a posting to Korea,do you think they might have imported them?
other than that an old BSA frame might work,have to look into that.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 11/17/06 at 13:28:23

I really like the look of the Royal Enfield as well...If only they had belt drive... Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:26:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anti Chopper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.