Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped Threads (Read 15 times)
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Stripped Threads
11/05/06 at 19:43:01

Ok , I stripped L130 and L125 bolts clean out. It started easy and then went hard. I used a torque wrench I got from sears. Brand new dial torque wrench. I had it set to 5lbs. I stripped both of them. These are the long bolts that go from the top head cover to the cylinder. How can I fix it . Get a size larger stainless steel bolt and cut my own threads. Maybe something better or do I have to dissassemble the entire engine just to get to that part and retap it and use heliocoils. What are my options? They do thread somewhat but just don't tighten down at all. What size are these bolts. Where can I get some SS bolts. I am lost. My bike can't seal up well enough and is spitting oil all over. Help please.    Thomas

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Re: Stripped Threads
Reply #1 - 11/05/06 at 22:48:24

I cant figure out the bolts you are talking about,do you have a "Clymer manual" if so look them up and give us the number from the book,if you are talking about the four bolts that hold the two crome covers on? even if you left those two covers off there shoud not be any oil leeks,if you are talking about the four bolts that go all the way down to the crank case ,then you have trouble,you will have to take the head and barrel off and retap a new thread in the crankcase,they would be crankcase studs threaded both ends ,# 6 on page 106,
   Throw your torque wrench away and use short socket wrench,you get a better sense of feel if you use your hand,............just something I do, for the same reason I never listen to the radio in my car,I want to hear what my engine is doing , or not doing.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 11/06/06 at 00:55:13

Sometimes they break sometimes they strip the thread.
The long bolts go all the way down to the cylinder barel.
The BEST solution is a helicoil insert .

Greetz
Kropatchek Sad

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/06/06 at 03:39:32

Yes I am talking about the ones that go all the way down. If you look at the chart on page 87. Its L130 and L125. This is the reason I haven't had a good seal. I'm leaking oil bad again. How would I get a helocoil down that long shaft?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/06/06 at 06:07:52

I sure won't know how with out pulling the cylinder head

IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/06/06 at 13:56:47

Well, I have asked around. Seems like one tap new threads, two get a larger Stainless Steel bolt and cut my own threads, three locktight and hope it holds, four JB Weld and get it the best I can, five metal filler and make a new hole. Any better ideas or atleast some comments on these. The lengths are 125mm and 130 mm but what thread size? M8 maybe??? I just want it to work. Does anyone know where
I could buy stainless steel bolts that long??? ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks - Thomas

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/06/06 at 14:23:32

I believe they are M6. take one down to the hradware store and match it.  You may also want to take the whole thing into a machine shop and get an opinion or two...

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/06/06 at 15:47:48

First of all s.s. bolts are not always the correct answer. obviously if you pulled the threads out of your crank case your bolt or stud is not the weak point. next of all the engine parts are designed to work with a certain amount of crush and bolt stretch. (the reason we have torque values) if you go with a different bolt material the bolt stretch will not be the same and your torque value will change. this is also true with a larger dia. bolt. next if you want to fix it properly the remove the jug and helicoil it. also if you helicoil the threads and you still try to use s.s. bolts (which I would not recommend) you will need to use a high temp aniseize b/c stainless to stainless will gawl when you try to retorque or try to remove ever again.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 11/06/06 at 16:05:02

Sorry for your problem.  Steel threaded into aluminum is very easy to strip.  I hold my breath every time I have to do this. And 5 lb-ft ain't much torque.

I think orrin7 is right about this.  SS bolts may be harder and stronger, but that's not the problem. The problem is the soft aluminum threads.  AFAIK, a helicoil insert is the best way to fix the problem.  

I did read somewhere that someone bought  SS bolts with a different thread pitch and managed to get enough "bite" to successfully torque to specs. I'm not sure it was these bolts,  though. You might want to do a search.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/06/06 at 19:19:19

Well, Sounds like Helicoil is the way to go. Anyone have a clue where to gwt a M6 heli coil kit. I just hate to take down this bike. If I did take the jug off would I have to take the engine off the bike? When I had the cover it seemed like it was just impossible to get anymore off without. Do you have to replace the gaskets as I take anymore off? Would I use gasket dressing instead of maker? Has anyone used the permatex made for motorcyles? I thought I may need to use it instead of ultra grey. It even says its good for head covers. Are we sure its size is M6? I will stick to my bolts but I wanted to be sure it was M6 for the Heli Coils. I appreciate all you guys support. I seem to be tackling all kinds of problems at once. Its becoming a money pit.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 11/06/06 at 19:55:56

well your not pulling the jug/cylinder just the head - I have not taken it off this bike, but looks like it should come off with the engine in the frame - how many miles are on the bike? - since you gotta take the cam chain loose might be a good time to replace it and shim the clutch springs, since you gotta take the side cover off... sort a like pulling a string on a sweater I guess

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 11/06/06 at 20:16:24

went out to garage and looked over the spare head -  one of those bolt holes number L130 is a tube/oil path so using various metal fillers and jbweld doesn't seem like a good idea to me - clog that tube up and it's a dead motor  - I'll bet that's why your leak is pretty bad come'n out of L130

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151246239

also there's a pair of guide pins at least an >1" long - don't think that it will come off with the engine in the bike.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #12 - 11/06/06 at 21:55:15

Try a large NAPA store for helicoils. I think I saw metric helicoils at one.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/07/06 at 14:10:24

The bike has about 15,000 miles on it.  $90.00 for a new cam chain. I think I will wait. Seems like a big hassle. Is it necessary? How long will it last.  I may be able to get it off on the bike. Sounds like a long weekend.I ain't sure on the clutch plate shimming. This sounds like too much!!! I found a heli coil kit online for ACE hardware. I may have them ship it here locally and pick it up to save on shipping. $45.00. Getting to be a hassle.  I will definately post pictures and everything along the way just for everyones information. Maybe I can save someone the heartache.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:39:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped Threads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.