Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Oil cooler install update (Read 82 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Oil cooler install update
Reply #60 - 03/25/07 at 09:44:37

I like the temp strip idea!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 03/31/07 at 23:50:34

I got the strip on.  I put it on the clutch cover, right over the oil passage at the top and it must be right after where the branch that goes up to the head.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151246239

Easily readable... while stopped.  The temp shows up as a khacki kind of color.  The rest are dark, and the one under temp is a dark blue.

My commute is 25 miles and most of the way at 70.  Off the freeway and the temp strip says 70-80°C.  And then I come to a dead stop.  And the temp starts climbing up until all the bars are dark, over 90°C.  Time to start planning a new route or look for a bar.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #62 - 04/05/07 at 11:44:38

I've been planning to tear into the cam chain soon as I'm over 20k and want to work on the bike with a wrench instead of a shovel.  And I've been hoping to do this right after taxes, but what I'm seeing has really got me concerned.

A week after putting the temp strip on it's not reading anything.  After a week of noting it's 40° after a few minites of startup to 70-80° off the freeway and a couple of 'dam this traffic jam' up and over 90° and a 'this thing works great' feeling to nothing at all has me concerned.  Specially after seeing Grim's oil pump.  This is not supposed to get burned out.  So, the big question... is oil still flowing?  How can I tell?

WWW   IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #63 - 04/05/07 at 12:12:41

Are you questioning if the oil pump is burned out?  I'm sure it still flows. I know that my situation was unique because I bought it used and the previous owner probably did not take care of it.  The black plastic that you saw was the cam chain guide, and the oil I took out was thick and grey (no oil change in a long time).  So if you take care of your bike, use a magnet oil plug, maintain your cam chain tensionor (mine previously fell off and took off a lot of metal in the case), you should be fine....just get in there and check your tensionor.  Wait for an oil leak to check your oil pump or if you love working on the bike, check it now.....JUST STAY ORGANIZED.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #64 - 04/07/07 at 13:04:17

Quote:
A week after putting the temp strip on it's not reading anything.  After a week of noting it's 40° after a few minites of startup to 70-80° off the freeway and a couple of 'dam this traffic jam' up and over 90° and a 'this thing works great' feeling to nothing at all has me concerned.

That's exactly what you should expect with an air cooled bike.  When you stop, all the heat just starts building up inside the engine from the work that you just did.  That's why I like the idea of an oil cooler so much.  Some extra surface area to radiate and conduct heat when not moving, and added insurance in hot temps.  

Well, no use sitting around here when I have an oil cooler to finish installing... Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #65 - 04/07/07 at 16:38:12

RATS!!!  I got so involved in routing oil lines and tinkering with fittings that I didn't bother to look to see if I had the right drill bit to tap into the oil filter housing.  Turns out I don't.  Well, guess I'll have to wait to finish.  But, with the extra time I started rethinking this a little.

Anyone know what size the port into the oil filter housing is?  I may thread that and restrict the flow a little to force more oil thru the cooler.  Thoughts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 04/07/07 at 17:44:24

Nope I got nothing to offer. I am just watching & hoping what you folks do works out. Maybe I will do the same later.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:34:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil cooler install update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.