Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag Brackets - How to make your own (Read 1288 times)
mmp
Ex Member

Saddlebag Brackets - How to make your own
04/22/06 at 07:40:04

First I started with the dimesion that Perrydasavage had posted in a previous thread:

Picture #1 - I purchased this from Home Depot. I believe it was 3/8" but I might have ended up with the 1/4" because I knew that I only had a pair of vice grips and the use of leverage in order to make the brackets. I first sanded it down because I knew I wanted to primer and paint them.

Picture #2 - I clamped a pair of vice grips onto the area labelled #1 and then took a pair of needlenose pliers at point #2 and then bent the rod around.

Picture #3 - Then I just followed the dimensions Perry had posted and would clamp the vice grips at about the right length and bend the rod to the right angle.

Picture #4

Picture #5 - Once I got the brackets completed, I primered and painted them a flat black. You can see them on my bike in the pictures below.

Picture #6

Picture #7 - The right side is a little bigger than the left side. I thought about re-doing it then realized, hell - no one's going to even see them once the saddlebags are on.

Once I bolted them under the fender, I then bent them into shape the way I wanted them to fit. So far so good. I even use them to hook my bungee cords to when carrying something on the back seat.

« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 11:03:50 by Serowbot »  
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Saddlebag Brackets - How to make your own
Reply #1 - 01/02/07 at 02:05:35

next step hard/soft mount..trace the back of one of your bags onto craft paper or a 12 pack cardboard...slide it into one of the bags and trim as needed..then x fer to a double(orient smooth side for a left and right inside of bag)
sheet of 1/8" luan(or?) plywood(24"x24"ea)cut both pieces at once with jig saw and fit/trim/sand to inside back  of each bag (smooth side to storage side of the inside back of each bag) use leather straps that came with bags to temp mount to bike and brackets..use awl to punch holes in the bags for 3/16" screws thru the holes in 3/8" conduit(squeezed down later to fit your braces)1 hole straps.. i used 4 per bag and tucked the leather straps back and under  b4 tighting...washers should be used (2 per screw min  )for  load distribution.. thicker plywood and big enuf bag and you got a place for the cd changer/amp etc...... Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 01/05/13 at 07:19:47

Thumperclone, that mod is simple, low $$$ and inventive.  Cool.

Here's another fairly low $$$ option.  At my local Cylce Gear shop I saw brackets for specific bikes that were marked down to anywhere from $9.95 to $19.95.  That was two weeks ago.  They haven't been selling well so the store priced them to move quicker.  Although they won't be a direct fit for the S40, I could tell a little bending here and there would make them fit.  On my old S40 it seemed I used Suzuki M50 brackets (which I already had) with steel spacers for clearance.  Notice that the left side (in the pic) spacers are slightly longer.  This was to allow clearance for the rear belt drive pully.  I think the spacers and bolts came from a local hardware shop.

IP Logged
Cass
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Diego, CA
Reply #3 - 04/19/15 at 13:58:21

I know this thread is really old, but I just got a Savage and got some saddle bags... Found this and thought it doable. I bought 3/16 metal rod, but can't get it to bend around in a tight loop like you did. Anything besides elbow grease on that part (heating, etc.)?

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #4 - 04/20/15 at 21:27:35

how to do it-I think well see...
but I can explain. on any surface fasten the iron rod of desired diameter and close at a distance equal to the thickness of your wire another. then insert your wire between the rods go around and around "rod-template". you will only slightly improve the appearance.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:48:59

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Saddlebag Brackets - How to make your own

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.