Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
does any one know the fork/rake ratio... (Read 4 times)
pittmancharles
Ex Member

does any one know the fork/rake ratio...
10/29/06 at 21:32:41

just curious i am kind of new to the idea of working on bikes, but does any one know the longest fork rake ratio i can go with a savage,  might be getting an old putter that runs and may give me an opporunity to chop out suzi a lil bit.

IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Re: does any one know the fork/rake ratio...
Reply #1 - 10/30/06 at 23:11:05

Well, if you think about the Caster/Trail, then here you go:
Caster (fork angle): 55 deg.
Trail: 174 mm (cca. 5.79 inches)
If I have misunderstood the question, please explain me this fork/rake thing thus I could check it for you in the Service Manual.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 11/02/06 at 23:16:39

pittmancharles, like blackiex, I'm not sure what you are asking... Are you asking about the maximum degree of rake possible and/or how long the forks could be stretched?

If so, you need to calculate the "trail" of any given setup to know if it will be rideable. To do that you need several different measurements from the frame and triple tree. Knowing the Rake Angle; Steering head (yoke) offset; Fork length, and Spindle offset will allow calculation of Trail.

Beyond that, there comes a practical limit to where fork flex and front brake dive become handling hazards.  

Here are a couple of places to start getting ideas of what is involved:

http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/rake_trail.htm

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

As you can see from that one place that sells the kits, they claim to be able to add 18 degrees rake and up to 12" of stretch on the tubes! They also claim to do this while maintaining the stock trail specification.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 11/02/06 at 23:23:31

blackiex wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, if you think about the Caster/Trail, then here you go:
Caster (fork angle): 55 deg.
Trail: 174 mm (cca. 5.79 inches)
If I have misunderstood the question, please explain me this fork/rake thing thus I could check it for you in the Service Manual.

Hello blackiex, not to hi-jack the OPs subject here... but after looking at the picture of your fine looking Savage in full size, I'm very curious about your setup.

Looks like stretched fork tubes with no added rake? How much longer are they, and how does it handle? It also looks like you have a bigger-than-stock rear tire (which might help with the geometery of the longer forks) What brand and size tires are you using? Any details about how your bike is set up would be of great interest to me.

Thanks,

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:14:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › does any one know the fork/rake ratio...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.