Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine dies with full tank? (Read 7 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Engine dies with full tank?
10/29/06 at 13:20:58

Ok, this has got me stumped.  Riding along at 70 MPH, the bike starts hesitation slightly like it's about to run out of fuel, then WHAM!  I lost power, with full throttle all I could do was coast to the side of the road.  I gave her a once over and didn't notice anything wrong.  Hit the starter and she fired up and drove the last 5 miles home fine.

Is the float level adjustable?  It's acting like fuel flow can't keep up, but I did the fuel petc0ck mod and verified LOTS of flow, way more than my bike could possibly burn!

Could my bike be running so lean it's flamming out a hot engine?  Of course it was about 45 degrees today...

Help?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Engine dies with full tank?
Reply #1 - 10/29/06 at 13:24:51

BTW, I had a full tank of gas and the bike is stock other than the fuelcock conversion, removal of internal screen and addition of external fuel filter...

Again, thanks for any suggestions since the only thing I could think to do is just start tearing things apart to see what I could find.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 10/29/06 at 13:31:13

Check the gas cap, there is a vent in it that can get plugged up and causes an air lock. The cap can be taken apart and cleaned but I've never tried it. Dirt in the main jet would do the same but you would always have the problem. Also try draining the float bowl, a little water would cause the bike to shut off at speed also. Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 10/29/06 at 14:03:26

Ok, I took apart the fuel cap and cleaned/inspected it.  Verified airflow and removed the upper rubber gasket to improve airflow into the tank, but I didn't notice by blowing on the vent hole that there was any noticable increase in air flow there.  On to the next step...

BTW, thanks for the input Ed L!  I never would have thought to look at the fuel cap (whether or not that turns out to be the problem.)

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 10/29/06 at 19:31:19

carb piston sticking??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/29/06 at 20:06:29

Possible vacuum line kink? That happened to me once, going around 55 & it quit. Checked, had gas in the tank, started it up & it got me home. My carb vacuum line was flat/kinked in one spot. It happened because I had shortened the line a bit after tearing a hole in the end from pulling it off. Made too sharp of a bend to stay round. Anyway, replaced it & it worked fine.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 10/30/06 at 05:15:36

perhaps icing of the slide? cool air flowing and moisture could cause icing. when the engine was shut off for a couple minutes, air flow stops, warm engine clears icing, continue. we've had those issues with vw and corvair air cooled motors when the manifold warmers are clogged or removed.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/30/06 at 07:20:31

Had the tank off lately?

The California version also has a vent line from the tank to a canister under the seat which I think is connected to the air box.

WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #8 - 10/30/06 at 18:49:34

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Possible vacuum line kink? That happened to me once, going around 55 & it quit. Checked, had gas in the tank, started it up & it got me home. My carb vacuum line was flat/kinked in one spot. It happened because I had shortened the line a bit after tearing a hole in the end from pulling it off. Made too sharp of a bend to stay round. Anyway, replaced it & it worked fine.

Exact same experience! Now that I heard someone else have the problem. Mine did not shut down at full throttle although I have had some rough idle when starting out. I remember seeing a kink in the line cause i rerouted the line when I replaced it . I made it to long. So I resized it and properly routed the hose
BABBALOU: How did you get it back in the protective spring? Did you use fuel line hose or something more thick to keep the line from colapsing?
Thanks for your help, didn't mean to go off topic.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 10/30/06 at 18:58:10

Okay, cleaning the fuel cap and draining the float bowl seems to have fixed the problem.  Although I don't really trust it now because while cruising at constant speed of around 60 mph, the bike has small but constant hesitations then surges.  I think it's because the bike is running really lean (stock white-spacer and jetting) and occasionally I'll crack the throttle to see if I'm having the same problem and it responds with power so I think I'm okay now... ???

Thanks for the great ideas all.  

P.S.  I did the petc0ck conversion so there is no vaccum line running to my carb anymore Grin

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/30/06 at 19:15:05

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Exact same experience! Now that I heard someone else have the problem. Mine did not shut down at full throttle although I have had some rough idle when starting out. I remember seeing a kink in the line cause i rerouted the line when I replaced it . I made it to long. So I resized it and properly routed the hose
BABBALOU: How did you get it back in the protective spring? Did you use fuel line hose or something more thick to keep the line from colapsing?
Thanks for your help, didn't mean to go off topic.
I'd cut off maybe an inch & it made too sharp of a bend. I ended up just buying a new line from the dealer. Still working fine. I'm more careful now pulling off that hose so I don't rip it again.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 11/01/06 at 12:56:26

Thanks everyone for the input.  Here's what I did:
1.  Clean out fuel cap
2.  Drain fuel bowl

I've been riding for the last few days and had no problems.  Yesterday on the way to work was the coldest riding conditions yet and no problems.  Not sure which action fixed the problem, but it seems fixed!   8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:37:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine dies with full tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.