Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada) (Read 13 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)
10/27/06 at 18:42:04

Hi!  Last winter, I actually managed to take my bike out to run it every 2 - 3 weeks all winter long. I'd only gotten the bike on Oct. 30th, so I was extra keen to ride it as much as possible despite the Canadian winter.   Anyway, I did put stabil in the gas tank & keep it topped up, drain the carb, park the bike tires onto wood and off of the cement floor - but that was about it.   I didn't pull the battery at all - and it fired up fine each time.  (I think it's still the original battery from 2000)  Oh, and my garage stays above the freezing point all winter long.

So, my question is:  is it harmful to ride the bike every few weeks in the cold temps. and have it sit in between idle?  A guy at a bike store told me it was actually better to store the bike and not ride it - due to condensation etc. from the bike being cold, then driven, then cold etc.  Think he said it would cause more rust to accumulate faster?  I don't want to do the bike more harm than good, but the thought of storing it for 5 - 6 months seems sad.   Comments? ???

If it isn't harmful to run the bike every so often, in the winter temps. = I'll probably just do that again this winter.  If not, I will buy a battery tender, pull the battery, and do a full winterization on it.

I appreciate your input!!!! Grin

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)
Reply #1 - 10/27/06 at 19:21:38

Any vehicle is better off being used than stored, the more you ride it the better!  Don't let that mean ol' dealer scare you off your bike! Angry

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 10/27/06 at 19:26:52

the machine doesn't know it's cold outside.  ride when ever possible.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/27/06 at 20:42:10

here on the west slope of the rockies  i ride every day i can when there is no ice(black or otherwise) on the roads..bought my 05 (thought it was 06) last feb..ridden every good  weather day( read no ice) since..over 5 k on od, new tires already.. all i can say beyond this is..
"ride baby ride"!!!lifes too short to keep suzi  in the carriage house... 8)
the" ski bums" are on the slopes as we speak...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/06 at 22:09:30

It was 35 degrees this morning,I went for a 30 mile run,it was a little brisk to say the least.
I was thinking of storing the bike indoors,but every time that old sun peeks out I want to ride,I know I would feel bad if I got all the pre storage ritual done and we have a little warm spell,I have decided not to winterize, I can dress acordingly when it's cold,but here in Oregon we get a goodly amout of rain,and january feb, usually bring the odd snowstorm,so I will play by ear this year and see what happens,when it gets real cold I will put my baby in my living room,maybe hang some orniments and tinsel on it  Wink then I can put some ribbon on it and emagen that you know who paid a visit,
because after all I have been a good boy Roll Eyes

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/27/06 at 22:43:02

B.T.W. read this somewhere....40 mph@ 40 deg F = 28 deg...so dress for the ride...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 10/28/06 at 05:06:47

Your mechanic was right. When you put your bike away during Canadian winters, resist the temptation to start it occasionally. Condensation definitely forms after you shut down a warmed engine in the cold weather. The engine and the exhaust system will gather moisture at certain winter weather conditions, don't add more by starting it.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 10/28/06 at 05:55:16

I'll second what bentwheel and the mechanic say. But I have to admit, that I don't store it properly, I just can't resist the temptation for five long months. Give the oil a good flush in the spring just before riding season, would be a good idea

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 10/28/06 at 07:27:35

Quote:
Condensation definitely forms after you shut down a warmed engine in the cold weather. The engine and the exhaust system will gather moisture at certain winter weather conditions, don't add more by starting it.

At the risk of starting another "oil debate" thread...
That's exactly why it's important to use an oil with a good detergent package.  Problems due to moisture are EXACTLY what rust inhibitors and buffers are designed to eliminate.  As far as moisture in the exhaust pipe goes, I don't see that as a major concern.  It takes a while for the pipe to rust out as its coated with carbon deposits and is cheap/easy to replace.  Besides as long as you heat the engine up enough when you start it to vaporize the condensation caused by initial startup, moisture collection is minimal anyway.

Tearing the bike down to individual parts and packing them all in cosmoline is the best way to make your bike last longer, but what would the point of that be?  You bought the bike to ride, so ride it...
On the other hand, if you know you won't ride your bike thru the winter, certainly don't just start it, let it idle for a bit and shut it down.

Another thing I'd recommend is running some type of fuel stabilizer thru the bike so if it's gonna sit so you don't have to worry about bad gas destroying stuff.  I run fuel stabilizer/carb cleaner in pretty much every tank of gas.

Recap:  good oil and fuel stabilizer and don't worry about a thing, ride it whenever you can.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #9 - 10/28/06 at 15:51:34

Thanks for the input!  Stilll not sure which was to go.

By the way, last winter I never just started it  and shut it down, I only started it if I could take it out for a 15 - 20 minute ride around the neighbourhood.   Yet it was enough to keep the battery charged and not need to pull it out of the bike, or buy a charger.   Plus, our garage doesn't go below freezing, so that likely is a good thing in terms of condensation.   Like others have said, I'd hate to store the bike, and then see many possible biking days go by.

Whether I ride it all winter or not, I always do a full oil and filter change in the spring, and get the bike serviced.  Plus, I use stabil and keep the gas topped up, and drain the carb.

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/28/06 at 18:36:27

why doesn't your garage go below freezing ?

IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/28/06 at 19:11:22

Diane, you're doing just fine the way you store and ride your bike when you can.  You're also WAY ahead of most everyone with the life time on your battery, Ha!

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #12 - 10/29/06 at 07:22:42

franch:  Our garage is very well insulated, and we put an addition above it - so I'm assuming the heat from the house and addition are enough to keep it above 0 C.
If needed, we have a small space heater too, but last winter it was fine.  Now it's cooler closer to the doors, than towards the back, but the bike will be parked at the back of the garage, once we clean it out enough.

That's also why I figured that if I rode the bike every few weeks, and it got condensation in it, it would be ok because the temp is warm enough.  Not like it's going from very hot, to temps in the minuses.

DianeS

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 10/29/06 at 11:46:53

DianeS- 'm with you, ride it when you can, the condensation issue is for very brief turn on/turn off.  You get up to opperrating temps with  15-20 minute rides.  Enjoy when you can, i hope this winter is similar to last year.

IP Logged
markv
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/21/06 at 10:37:50

Ride Diane! I'm in Canada too and I do. As long as you can be out there long enough to do at least 10 miles or so it will be hot enough that condensation won't be an issue. The precautions you are taking are just fine. There's too much paranoia around, just get on your machine and enjoy it the way the Engineers who designed it intended. You can be sure they validated it in cold weather climates! Have fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:11:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.