Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED (Read 8 times)
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED
12/09/06 at 21:19:13

Well folks, I had the SAVAGE for two years now and the battery is on the verse of slow death. Today I have to push start with the help of my 2 coworker. I took a couple of try but doable. 2 year is kind of short life span for battery!!

My question is "How long did your battery last and what brand is it?"

Any recommendation for replacement?

Thanks
Tim

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Battery's LIFE SPAN
Reply #1 - 12/09/06 at 21:48:19

These AGM batteries seem to work real well, no water yo worry with or drains. You need a Big Crank

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 12/10/06 at 07:28:03

The old fashioned flooded lead-acid battery can be had for as little as $15.  Self discharges to the point of being unable to start the bike after a few months of sitting.  Takes serious harm if you leave the lights on and drain it flat.  The water in the cells evaporates and needs to be watched and topped up -- 'cause if you let the plates get exposed to air you pretty near have killed the battery.  

An Absorbed Glass Mat battery is considered to be "dry" as the acid is contained in the mat and cannot spill.  The mats stop the plates from touching due to vibration.  The battery is sealed and never needs maintenance.  It's self discharge rate is about a tenth of a flooded cell and can maintain a starting charge while sitting unused for several months.  It can recover from full discharge.

I picked up a Yuasa sealed battery -- but that was before I looked up AGM.  In my favorites, in a motorcycle folder, I have a $50 Big Crank <u>bookmarked</u>

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 12/10/06 at 09:08:29

Over the last 30 years or so, I haven't had a lead acid battery last more than 4 years in ANYTHING: car/truck, boat, tractor, or motorcycle. And in the cars/trucks 4 years is the good (higher quality) Interstate or Diehard etc... Your average O'Rielly's or Wal-Mart battery is only good for about 3 years if vibration doesn't get it first.

I got one of the BIG CRANK myself for the Savage when my old battery started failing. Don't know how old the last one was since it came with the old '87, but it was weak when I got the bike. I checked it and it was near dry! It barely made it through a couple of charges until the new battery got here (about a week). The Big Crank sure starts the bike up good, even when cold and after sitting for a week. Hopefully the glass mat and gel technology will mean the extra money is well spent. I already think that not having to check the electrolyte level is a HUGE advantage!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/10/06 at 10:21:42

My factory battery is 2 years 5 months old & so far it's still working fine. I had to add a little distilled water last year & I'll check it again this month.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #5 - 12/10/06 at 17:51:27

I was told when I bought my bike that the battery was new. Then I did things like leave the switch on draining the battery a few times, if iI let it sit awhile it usually recharged itself to start but in the long run would not have lasted the winter. I replaced it with a "wet" battery although I can't find one for $15 bucks. I got a Battery Plus replacement. Next one will be a "dry" cell maintenance free battery.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #6 - 12/10/06 at 22:32:36

My battery is over 4 years old now. I pull it out each year and top it off with distilled water, then put the charger on it and make sure it tapers back to zero.
I'm in Florida where batterys don't do well in the heat, but my 650 has been garage kept at night. It  still has to endure hell in the day. Cheesy Keep an eye on it! Wink

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #7 - 12/12/06 at 21:03:19

Not 100% sure, but I think the battery in my bike is prob the original one from 2000.  Why - well the previous owners only put 7400 kms. on the bike, and then I bought it last fall.  One of these days, I'll have to take it out and have a look at it - but it's been working fine.

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 12/13/06 at 06:49:58

If you are a *GOOD* person and maintain the electrolyte level and refrain from heavily discharging and quick charging the battery, it'll last FAR longer.

Me?  Arrive home, throw down the kickstand to kill the engine, go into the house to have lunch.  'Bout two hours later wife calls -- she forgot to pack a sandwich in her lunch, would I mind?  So I get sandwich, hop on the bike, go to turn on the key -- oops!  It is already on.  Hit the started, waaa waaa gasp....  Pop off the tool cover, clip a lead to the terminal, ground the other lead, switch on, switch to 10 amp charge, count to 30, fire up the Savage, remove clips, deliver wife's lunch.  Probably knocked a year off the battery's lifespan.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 12/13/06 at 07:17:16

Yeah, I'm not the best either... which is why I like sealed batteries and love AGM batteries.  AGM batteries also give you more mounting options because you can usually mount them sideways instead of just upright.  I bought the milspec Odyssey battery but the Big Crank is probably just as good for less cash.  I didn't know about it then.  I do like the steel jacket on the Odyssey though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 12/13/06 at 09:12:08

People mock the cost of Mil Spec items, claiming that brand X is just as good.  And it very well may be.  But the military will be using items in the field, no where near a shop to buy a replacement, and if an item fails people could die.  Mil Spec is up at the ludicrous level of reliability, well past the upper end of cost-benefit.

WWW   IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #11 - 12/13/06 at 12:37:28

I had to replace my stock battery this past summer.   I have on 02, so I guess thats about 4 years.  I needed a battery quick so I just bought another wet batt and a charger.  The next one will be dry for sure though, and I'll make sure I plan ahead to get it BEFORE I get stuck somewhere.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #12 - 12/13/06 at 16:51:46

I think the cheap trickle charger that I bought from Walmart kill my battery. It supposed to switch from charging to trickle when the battery is fully charged. Well I plugged it in at night before I go to sleep and in the morning it still show charging-RED light instead of GREEN. I rode the bike for an hour on that day so it should not take more than 1 hour to switch to GREEN.

Lesson here: Stay away from those cheap chargers made by Bell. You will pay one way or another. So go for the good quality charger folks.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/13/06 at 17:58:59

Wouldn't one of those "wall wart" 110 volt to 12 v. DC power supply things work for maintaining a battery? They don't put out enough current to fry a battery do they? I find them left over from different things that have gone away. Some are 3 volt, some as much as 12. I have used them for such odd things as a colloidal silver maker. Small connectors from Radio Shack would make pluggin it in under the seat easy enough. Thoughts?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 12/13/06 at 20:03:09

Hi- just curious, but what is a colloidal silver maker and what do you do with it, ??Silver coatings?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:32:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.