Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada) (Read 13 times)
mavrik

Toronto
Re: Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)
Reply #30 - 12/08/06 at 18:58:26

Thanks Dianne, it's way too COLD to ride now. Minus 15 today. I have lost my window of opportunity until spring.

Too much salt on the roads now for me, it's my first year riding. Gotta find the time for some mods. Still looking to get the muffler upgrade and a sporty seat.

I wanna join a riders club in the spring do you know of any local ones? Cheers Merry Christmas Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #31 - 12/08/06 at 22:01:11

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Yet, it's supposed to be + 6 celcius on Sunday, so if the roads are dry I am hoping to ride the bike.  I think the last time I was on it, was Nov. 24th, so it needs a good run.

I was able to ride off and on uptil Nov. 29. Then the snow started and hasn't let up since. Easily a good foot of snow up here in Barrie. Even if it does make it to +6 Sunday, I fear it won't melt enough snow to allow an opportunity to make a quick cruise. Best I'm hoping for is a chance to give the bike a wash, since I squeezed every last minute of rideable weather out of this season riding. I don't wanna leave that crap they spray on the roads up here, to sit on the poor girl all winter.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #32 - 12/08/06 at 22:11:43

mavrik wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I wanna join a riders club in the spring do you know of any local ones? Cheers Merry Christmas Cheesy

I've heard nothing but goods things about the Southern Cruisers.
http://www.southerncruisers.net/

Plenty of chapters through out southern Ontario.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #33 - 12/09/06 at 18:39:43

Mavrik:  I joined the Southern Cruisers this year, and they are a family friendly group.  I'm sure they would have a chapter up near  you.  I only made it out for one ride - but I have young kids so it's difficult to just take off for a group ride.  Plus, my hubby likes me home here.   The Southern Cruisers did a quite a few shorter or longer rides, and some weekend events too - if you like to do that.

Necropsy:  Yes, I heard that Barrie was getting more snow.  We don't have much snow here (Lindsay), but like you I'm going to see if the temps. are high enough tomorrow to dry the roads.  The highways looked good today - it was my own road that had some wet sections or sand.    According to the Tor Star, the temps are supposed to be above freezing during the week, but my hubby said that the local forecast wasn't so great.  So, we'll see what happens.  I mean, I wouldn't risk the hour commute each way to work on the bike (in case of a sudden snowfall), but for a quick ride locally - I'd go out.  I rode a fair bit last winter, and never had to charge my battery. Grin

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 12/10/06 at 05:41:52

Im in Moncton NB.  We have a bit of snow but this week its suppose to warm up.  In fact the roads are prolly dry today so I guess Ill be on them with my new GSF.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #35 - 12/12/06 at 20:46:01

Above freezing temps here in Ontario, Canada, so it looks good for riding the bike to work on Thursday! Smiley
It's calling for rain tomorrow and Friday though. Sad

I rode last Sunday, and althought there was snow on my driveway, the main roads were fine.  It was awesome, with the beautiful sunshine!!!!  I was so glad I had ventured out - because I was very close to chickening out when I saw the snow on my driveway, but my bike went over it without even slipping!!!  Thank you Metzler tires!!!! Grin  

I've seen a few other bikers out lately as well - I guess that I'm not the only one who hasn't winterized my bike.  Yet, when the temps are @ +6 - it seems great  to ride, with decent warm clothing.

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #36 - 12/30/06 at 15:55:12

Just popping in to see how any of the winter riders are doing.  

I rode my bike to work and back a week ago, and now we have colder temps and a bit of snow on the ground.  
Yet, by mid. week it looks like the roads will be dry enough to ride  though the temps. will be just @ +3 degrees celcuis.  I've seen other bikers out too - so it's certainly been an amazing december for riding.  Bet the skiiers, ice-fishermen, and ski-dooers are ticked off though!!  The lakes around us certainly aren't frozen.

Anyway, happy riding for those of you who are still out and about.  Grin Happy tinkering, or drinking or whatever you folks who've stored your bikes!!! Grin

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #37 - 12/30/06 at 17:14:11

Sad Still grounded here in St. John's, Nfld. ... hasn't gotten much above -10deg C (approx. +11deg F) here over the past few days ... though not much snow and the roads are dry and ice-free ... went to a Biker-bash last nite and none of those hard-cores have Ridden (one was out X-mas Day though and another swears he's goin' out on New Years Day regardless of the temp. as long as it isn't snowing!), but my wife did see a couple of Bikes on the go yesterday!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #38 - 01/01/07 at 19:47:57

In Ontario, it was nearly +10 C. today, but hubby and I were busy building a bunch of shelves for our upper room so I didn't even leave the house.  On Wednesday it's supposed to be @ +7 C. and only 5% change of precip. so I think I'll ride the bike to my doctor's appt. and get an hour run each way.

I find if the temps. are below +10 C. I get a bit cold on the bike after about 1/2 hour of riding, but I have winter
gloves and some better layers now underneath my leathers which helps.

I think in a few days I shall pull the battery to see if it's a maintenance free one, or one I need to top up.  I haven't had any problems with the battery, and it was last charged in March when it was serviced at the shop.
But, I shouldn't leave it too long.

Happy riding folks!!!

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #39 - 01/01/07 at 22:38:39

Get out of the North!
I had a very comfortable ride on Dec 31 here in the Orlando area. I ride all winter. Sometimes I actually have to wear leather.

We need a frost bad! There is no other way to get rid of the crab grass and termites. Pray for Florida to FREEZE!

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #40 - 01/02/07 at 14:16:52

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
We need a frost bad! There is no other way to get rid of the crab grass and termites. Pray for Florida to FREEZE!

In other words you want Hell to freeze over?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I lived in Florida for a while and I understand what the temps and humidity is like.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #41 - 01/02/07 at 16:47:41

Still riding my bike to work EVERYDAY in Baltimore.  Looks like this will continue thru next week! Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #42 - 01/02/07 at 19:12:47

As for living in the North - I am used to it, and don't think I'd like living where there was no snow at all.  I just like having four distinct changes of seasons.  Yet, the extremely mild weather is a big teaser for me since it has been great for riding the bike, and doing projects outside. Wink

I do find that each winter, it seems to take me longer and longer to get used to the really cold weather.  But my daughters and I have new skiis and snowboards to use on our hills, so we do need some snow.  Plus my five year old wants me to help her build a snowman.  Grin

I'm sure other Canadian bikers in southern Ontario are just amazed at the lack of snow this winter.  We even set a record of +9 celcuis on New Year's Day.  Yet, we could be buried in snow soon...

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #43 - 01/02/07 at 21:09:05

Remember global warming?
It's coming back. Greenland will be green again.
You will be able to ride all year naked. Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #44 - 01/03/07 at 05:53:56

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Remember global warming?
It's coming back. Greenland will be green again.
You will be able to ride all year naked. Grin

LOL, that was just Viking marketing.  Call the green island Iceland to discourage too much immigration and call the cold and icy island Greenland to encourage settlement.  I've always loved that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:18:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.