Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada) (Read 13 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)
Reply #15 - 11/21/06 at 14:35:54

Hi DianeS..Rode to work yesterday..too much frost this am..hereit is Nov 20/21st..only three to five more months of this cold crap. Grin

IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #16 - 11/21/06 at 18:17:47

Hi Diane: I live close to you in Ptbo, my bike doctor/dealer told me to "Store it, don't ride it in winter what are you nuts". ??? So I had it winterized. They did it.I have the battery on a trickle charger.

It's my first winter with Suziq so I took his advice, I am kinda sorry now because we have had some really good days I coulda gave her hell. I am now forced to take my agressions out on my drum kit. Embarrassed

I store her indoors. I sit on her occasionally, crack a beer and wonder "what if" as she leans over so sadly next to the hot tub :'(

I will NOT winterize again. I was a real noob this year.

I now realize the dealers agenda, winterize your bike pal and look.....at these new ATV's we just got Grin

Question to the Savages if I put my battery back in and ride her are there any special rituals I must also do? Cheers

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #17 - 11/21/06 at 20:13:36

Hi Diane,

I just want to point out that it is possible to have condensation above freezing.  However, since your garage does not go below freezing, you will not have ice forming on your bike.   Smiley

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #18 - 11/21/06 at 20:50:32

Experience is the best teacher, harsh in it's reality. I have missed several weekends lately to get a good run in. So this past weekend I took the bike on a 6 hour trip (two hours in a warm resturante) in Northern PA. I dressed properly, wore leathers, and saw scenary that is beyond my ability to put in words. To me that's what it's about.
I don't know the particulars of the effects of bitter cold Canadian weather on equipment. But I know why I ride and I have to aggree with some of the wisdom of this site......
Ride On. Enjoy! And use your God Given Sense about when to ride. Lots of good sense here. Seems to me your already there.
Mavrik- Sorry to hear of your (Ahem) situation. You could take this time to get to know Suziq. Maybe some MODS if your feeling risky. She could only benefit from a partner who knows here well enough to liberate her from the "winterization" experience put upon her by those who wish to exploit her at any opportunity. Free Her MAVERIK!!!
I don't know what they do to WINTERIZE , other than over charge me.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/21/06 at 21:57:18

Ya know, you could get all worked up & make sure you didn't "Hurt your BAAAYbeeee" by mothballing it & pickling it & treating it like a Lambourgini worth a few hundred thousand $$$, ORRR You could treat it like YOU own it & respect it & take care if it reasonably WHILE you Enjoy IT!  I read several posts about oil; changes & how to keep an engine alive, one I liked was ( Google "oil bible" ) As long as ther engine runs long enough to heat the oil well enough to rid itself of the condensation it doesn't hurt it any more than riding in summer. I Think that's what it said. If you read it & get something else from it, well,, I can be wrong! Anyway, if it is safe to ride & you are brave enough to get out in it, Go for it!The bearings in cars are the same as in that bike. I have seen a Savage with 85,000 miles on it. Those engines are built tough. Enjoy your bike, sensibly. Change the oil& think about how it needs to be treated, be responsible based on your own research. Dealers may well have an agenda or just choose caution( restricted actions) over solid decision making based on knowledge instead of fear. Nobody can blame a dealer/ mechanic for damage if the dealer/ mechanic advises against riding in winter. Have fun, be safe.

IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/22/06 at 04:02:28

I live in New Brunswick and just got my first bike yesterday, a 2006 GS500F.  Im so riding it whenever the roads arent full of ice.

Our winters have been odd the last few years with the snow not lasting more than a week.  It snows then warms up.  Then snows again then warms up.

So as long as the roads are clear and there is no ice/black ice about Ill be on them.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/22/06 at 15:08:28

25 degrees in the mornings here this week and still riding to work. Leather chaps, jacket, gloves, neck gaitor, and full face helmet. As long as there isn't any ice or snow, I'm ridin!! All of my co-workers have already stored their bikes. The looks on their faces when I ride in is priceless! Bunch of sissies!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #22 - 11/22/06 at 17:42:37

Was 72 today. Did have to wear a long sleeve t-shirt though..... Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #23 - 11/23/06 at 14:00:58

Warm here today in Michigan (for late November). Still riding, but soon will come the day where by rider's instinct I will know that until come April it's down time.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #24 - 11/23/06 at 19:14:06

Thanks for all of your input!!!  

Well, the temps. here have been a lot milder than usual, but in the mornings it's been below zero and frosty...so I haven't been on my bike this week, but I'll see what it's like in the morning Friday.  I have to admit, I'm kind of a chicken to ride my bike, if I have to scrape frost off of the car windows to take my kids to the sitter's house, because the roads likely have the same icy frost on them.  Definately don't want to slide on any black ice!!! Yet, when it warms up by 10 degrees over the morning, I get ticked off for not riding the bike into work.
As it was, I saw several bikers out this afternoon.

I'm still planning on riding it throughout the winter months, maybe not the hour to work (each way), but at least for a 15-20 min. run around the neighbourhood to keep the battery charged up.  

Mavrik, last winter I did the winterization (oil change, drain carb, and top up fuel with stabil etc), but whenever I rode it in the winter, I would top the gas back up with a can in our garage.  I didn't pull the battery out, nor do I own a battery tender.   So, chances are you wouldn't need to do much prep at all to fire up your bike and ride it, if you want to.

Matter of fact, I haven't winterized my bike yet this season because the temps have been mild, and I know it won't go below 0 in my garage.  I guess one of these days, I'll put some stabil in the gastank etc - when I get some time.

Oh, I have noticed a lot more grit and stuff on the roads, that I will avoid if I bike tomorrow.  Plus on my own road, there's a lot of mud from farm tractor tires too.  There's a few places near my work where they've had road construction and I've spotted some gravel too.
I always keep an eye out for road hazards when I drive my car, so when I take the bike I'll know what to what out for.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 11/23/06 at 21:10:33

If I was in your place, I'd keep a fuel can in the garage for the bike (which you have) and keep that fuel treated with sta-bil.  The bike will run fine with that and you won't Need to worry if you get caught with her garaged for several weeks either.  Also, keep your bike on a battery tender once every 3-4 weeks... otherwise, just ride when you feel safe doing so.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #26 - 11/24/06 at 17:13:48

Thanks for the advice Savage Rob.

I did ride today since the temps. were above freezing when I checked outside.  The roads looked slick in spots, so I was a bit nervous, but I got to work without sliding at all.  It was a bit chilly though, even with my winter gloves and balaclave underneath my FF helmet.  
I seem ok for the first half-hour, and then the chill sets in a bit.  Guess I need to add more layers.  The temps. went up to about +8 Celcuis by the pm, so the ride home was much nicer!!!!

I will put stabil in the tank tomorrow, when I go to fill it back up with gasoline.  I also want to give it a good washing.   The forecast, surprisingly enough (remember I live in Ontario, Canada) is still very mild for most of next week, so I'm planning on riding it more.

As for a battery tender, I don't own one - but I was looking at them a few weeks ago in the store.  Our regular battery charger may be suitable, but I haven't checked it out yet.  I believe the battery is the original one from '2000 and it's been fine so far.  I never charged it at all last winter - and the occasional ride in the winter seemed enough to keep it charged up - which was nice.  

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/26/06 at 01:39:32

Hey hey hey.. it's like spring here in central NY State and I don't have to work this week!   hmmm... home chores or riding, riding or home chores....  Tongue  well duhhh!

IP Logged
loopedguru
YaBB Newbies

Trying to give up my
cage 1 mile at a
time

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #28 - 11/26/06 at 06:36:18

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks for the advice Savage Rob.

I did ride today since the temps. were above freezing when I checked outside.  The roads looked slick in spots, so I was a bit nervous, but I got to work without sliding at all.  It was a bit chilly though, even with my winter gloves and balaclave underneath my FF helmet.  
I seem ok for the first half-hour, and then the chill sets in a bit.  Guess I need to add more layers.  The temps. went up to about +8 Celcuis by the pm, so the ride home was much nicer!!!!

I will put stabil in the tank tomorrow, when I go to fill it back up with gasoline.  I also want to give it a good washing.   The forecast, surprisingly enough (remember I live in Ontario, Canada) is still very mild for most of next week, so I'm planning on riding it more.

As for a battery tender, I don't own one - but I was looking at them a few weeks ago in the store.  Our regular battery charger may be suitable, but I haven't checked it out yet.  I believe the battery is the original one from '2000 and it's been fine so far.  I never charged it at all last winter - and the occasional ride in the winter seemed enough to keep it charged up - which was nice.  

DianeS.

Nice Diane!!!

I've ridden the last 3 days without fail.  I am so glad the weather has been fairly nice the last week.  I am also glad you created this post being that I am across the bridge from you and will be experiencing the same type of weather at just about the same time.  I haven't put Stabil in the tank yet.  I've had some people tell me to run it, while others have warned me against it.  It is a gorgeous morning so I'll probably be riding the "Tangerine Dream" to church shortly.

98 LS650 Orange, 2001 miles and putting it on the road 6/26/06
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #29 - 12/08/06 at 18:06:10

Hi again.   Well after a few weeks of above normal temps. we've had some colder temps, and icy roads.
Yet, it's supposed to be + 6 celcius on Sunday, so if the roads are dry I am hoping to ride the bike.  I think the last time I was on it, was Nov. 24th, so it needs a good run.  I have yet to charge the battery, so I want to run it soon, so it doesn't sit for too long.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ride in winter - or store? (I live in Canada)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.